Retransmission Consent squabbles

bhratbrat

Apparently Capitol Broadcasting and Dish Network are now in a dispute. Dish subscribers in Raleigh/Durham have now lost WRAL AND WRAZ right after they just got WNCN back just over a week ago. Now they’ll need an antenna for Fox AND NBC football if they don’t come to an agreement by Sunday. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Edited by Nelson R.

Hearst Television and Verizon FIOS will be in a dispute in the beginning of the year. The Hearst channels at issue include WBAL Baltimore (NBC), WGAL Harrisburg (NBC), WTAE Pittsburgh (ABC), WCVB Boston (ABC) and WMUR Manchester, N.H. (ABC). https://www.nexttv.com/news/verizon-warns-viewers-hearst-signals-could-come-down

Verizon also warned Gray Television Richmond Virginia Locals WWBT (NBC) and WUPV (CW) based on Gray's actions with other companies.

Edited by Kenneth Kissel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 3:53 PM, JCB4TV said:

Here we go again:

DirecTV and AT&T TV Could Lose Cox-Owned Locals Next Week

Although the article lists the legacy Cox stations, it also appears that the former NWB stations could be yanked as well. As you remember, NWB was in a prolonged fight with AT&T in 2019 just before the Cox merger.

I wonder if CBS will force COX to try to get this fixed before the Super Bowl. If not, I wonder IF CW O&O KSTW (owned by CBS) could air the game instead of KIRO in Seattle. I could see CBS doing that. 

6 hours ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

I wonder if CBS will force COX to try to get this fixed before the Super Bowl. If not, I wonder IF CW O&O KSTW (owned by CBS) could air the game instead of KIRO in Seattle. I could see CBS doing that. 

1 hour ago, Weeters said:

That would be a violation of their affiliation agreement with KIRO. 

The best they could do in the short-term is come to a one-day truce for the Super Bowl like DirecTV and Sunbeam in 2012.

• Like 1

Also To note, WPXI in Pittsburgh is airing News Content on Sinclair Station WPGH at night and Now in the Morning in promos for "The National Desk"(as well as streaming newscasts on WPXI Now and NewsOn) so the argument Cox is using that people are losing critical COVID-19 and other News information is redundant and needs to be said by Directv. This is nothing more then a cash grab by Cox Media Group. I could use this as a bargaining chip in court If I was DIRECTV and mention To CBS/Sinclair to move the SB to KSTW for Seattle and put Cincy station WKRC 12 in Dayton so both areas still see the game.

20210202_083227.jpg

20210202_083211.jpg

20210202_083249.jpg

All of these carriage disputes are money grabs by the stations and/or providers. All these companies care about are their bottom lines. Nobody is moving the Super Bowl off of any CBS affiliates, which would violate affiliation agreements. Even if it didn't, there's no need to. The dispute involves one provider, Cox's CBS affiliates are still available OTA (to those who receive the signal) and other providers. It'll also be available to stream for free online. And if someone misses the game because DirecTV is their only option to receive their local Cox-owned CBS affiliate, it won't be the end of the world. I'm sure this wouldn't be the first time people missed the Super Bowl because of a dispute and it probably won't be the last. Those people will live despite not watching the game.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, ScottJ said:

All of these carriage disputes are money grabs by the stations and/or providers. All these companies care about are their bottom lines. Nobody is moving the Super Bowl off of any CBS affiliates, which would violate affiliation agreements. Even if it didn't, there's no need to. The dispute involves one provider, Cox's CBS affiliates are still available OTA (to those who receive the signal) and other providers. It'll also be available to stream for free online. And if someone misses the game because DirecTV is their only option to receive their local Cox-owned CBS affiliate, it won't be the end of the world. I'm sure this wouldn't be the first time people missed the Super Bowl because of a dispute and it probably won't be the last. Those people will live despite not watching the game.

Good point but do you see what is happening? The more these companies get greedy, the more people leave and the more money these companies lose. The FCC has to step in at some point and do something. If they don't, it will be the end of TV as we know it.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 6:38 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

That would wipe out the entire market in Greenville/Greenwood, MS since Cox legally owns all 3 stations (WABG with ABC and FOX, WXVT-LD with CBS and WNBD-LD with NBC)

This was already the case with Suddenlink cable for the past three weeks. The stations were pulled January 8 and only returned four days ago.

2 hours ago, memnews said:

This was already the case with Suddenlink cable for the past three weeks. The stations were pulled January 8 and only returned four days ago.

What's going on with Cox, they need to hire a new negotiator.

4 hours ago, memnews said:

Definitely the dark side of having ONE company controlling all of the major affiliations in the same market.  It seems like if it were the case, then at least ONE of them should be must-carry and carry a basic load of newscasts (since most are likely simulcasted anyways.)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Definitely the dark side of having ONE company controlling all of the major affiliations in the same market.  It seems like if it were the case, then at least ONE of them should be must-carry and carry a basic load of newscasts (since most are likely simulcasted anyways.)

Which would take away most of the owner's leverage in negotiations, which is why it won't happen short of the FCC regulating such a thing in markets where one company has a monopoly on the major affiliates.

3 hours ago, ScottJ said:

Which would take away most of the owner's leverage in negotiations, which is why it won't happen short of the FCC regulating such a thing in markets where one company has a monopoly on the major affiliates.

I don't want the FCC to force the Cox stations to take an unfair deal. What needs to happen is the FCC and the NAB needs to allow Directv, Dish, Xfinity, Spectrum and others to pipe in a nearby station from a market next to the one where the station is dropped. So, in Pittsburgh's case. You have the option to choose WTOV, WJAC, WFMJ, or WBOY as an alternative till COX and Directv agree on a deal. In 2010, Directv replaced most NBC Hearst stations with Nexstar's WBRE for example.

I think the main alternates should be the NYC locals (East Coast [most are O&Os of said network]) and LA Locals (West Coast).

For those worried this wont work, Here is why it will. In most cases it would be the market next to theirs which would be semi local. All of the stations mentioned above do carry News, weather and Sports from certain places in the Pittsburgh market already  so it would be an extension of that. It doesn't work in some areas but in most it would work fine. I do see some viewers going to other stations but most are watching for the network programming anyway. Not news.

Edited by Kenneth Kissel
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

I don't want the FCC to force the Cox stations to take an unfair deal. What needs to happen is the FCC and the NAB needs to allow Directv, Dish, Xfinity, Spectrum and others to pipe in a nearby station from a market next to the one where the station is dropped. So, in Pittsburgh's case. You have the option to choose WTOV, WJAC, WFMJ, or WBOY as an alternative till COX and Directv agree on a deal. In 2010, Directv replaced most NBC Hearst stations with Nexstar's WBRE for example.

I think the main alternates should be the NYC locals (East Coast [most are O&Os of said network]) and LA Locals (West Coast).

For those worried this wont work, Here is why it will. In most cases it would be the market next to theirs which would be semi local. All of the stations mentioned above do carry News, weather and Sports from certain places in the Pittsburgh market already  so it would be an extension of that. It doesn't work in some areas but in most it would work fine. I do see some viewers going to other stations but most are watching for the network programming anyway. Not news.

Do that and that might end these disputes or make them shorter once and for all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

If they piped in WLOS here, we’d temporarily have two chances to see Wheel or Jeopardy here. 

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 2