Retransmission Consent squabbles

bhratbrat

On 12/1/2020 at 10:32 PM, jerseyfla said:

Great! Now I have to break out my indoor antenna! Otherwise, I'm stuck with 2 crappy low budget understaffed stations owned by Sinclair and Morris!

Ah yes. Don't miss that combo anymore. Now we just have Morris left in Lexington. Hope that changes soon lol but WDKY went dark around 7 last night. 

At least Nexstar is giving WDKY an antenna upgrade, from directional to non directional to improve their coverage. 

Edited by LexTVandRadio

4 hours ago, DENDude said:

Are mission broadcasting stations off the air as well due to the dispute with Nexstar Media & Dish Network?   Or is Mission on a different contract?

Most markets with a Misson owned station (Like WYOU and WFXP here in PA) are doing the same to Dish as their Nexstar counterparts.

This blackout only involves the Nexstar-owned stations on Dish.  The shared websites only say that the Nexstar station is the one involved in the dispute.

WYTV doesn't have a warning at all, since they're owned and programmed by Vaughan Media, while WKBN & WYFX are blacked out.

KOLR is also unaffected due to their ownership by Mission, but their Nexstar counterparts  KOZL and KRBK are off Dish.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

This blackout only involves the Nexstar-owned stations on Dish.  The shared websites only say that the Nexstar station is the one involved in the dispute.

WYTV doesn't have a warning at all, since they're owned and programmed by Vaughan Media, while WKBN & WYFX are blacked out.

KOLR is also unaffected due to their ownership by Mission, but their Nexstar counterparts  KOZL and KRBK are off Dish.

but, as I said eariler, WYOU and WFXP are off of Dish and they are Mission owned stations.

And scrolling back through this thread, Dish has had multiple spats with the sidecars before the main Nexstar spat.

Dish is just such a horrible company to begin with.  It needs to go away.  AT&T needs to spin off DirecTV into the company it once was and unify the two into a reputable satellite TV operator.  There are too many options out there to even consider this as a monopoly, especially with all of the OTT options that have been introduced in the last several years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

but, as I said eariler, WYOU and WFXP are off of Dish and they are Mission owned stations.

But those are separate disputes. The FCC does not allow station groups to include stations they don't own in retransmission negotiations, even if they operate the stations through sharing agreements. So Nexstar can't include the sidecars in their negotiations.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

More bad news for Hulu subcribers, your Sinclair-owned CBS affiliates could be going away.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/hulu-could-lose-some-sinclair-owned-locals/?source=home

At least with the OTT deals, they tend to be divided by affiliation....which was likely the linchpin of getting these stations on these services to begin with.

On 12/6/2020 at 4:16 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

More bad news for Hulu subcribers, your Sinclair-owned CBS affiliates could be going away.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/hulu-could-lose-some-sinclair-owned-locals/?source=home

At least with the OTT deals, they tend to be divided by affiliation....which was likely the linchpin of getting these stations on these services to begin with.

What is up with Sinclair's tactics? Whatever leverage they're trying to use to get back on streammers certainly ain't working. First they lost the Tennis Channel on YTTV and now they're about to lose certain locals on Hulu Live as well.

And I should point this out too, the fact that even Sinclair's local stations are starting to be affected now tells me that not everybody wants to integrate RSNs (or even cable channels in general) with local stations.

16 hours ago, dman748 said:

What is up with Sinclair's tactics? Whatever leverage they're trying to use to get back on streammers certainly ain't working. First they lost the Tennis Channel on YTTV and now they're about to lose certain locals on Hulu Live as well.

And I should point this out too, the fact that even Sinclair's local stations are starting to be affected now tells me that not everybody wants to integrate RSNs (or even cable channels in general) with local stations.

As long as they don't start bundling the "Horse Shopping Channel" into the regular lineup!

(it's a real thing on Sinclair's STIRR OTT app, and they really promote it on their stations' airwaves!)

• Haha 2

On 12/9/2020 at 6:53 PM, JCB4TV said:

Retransmission disputes with Dish are not short.

The dispute between them and the FSNs are a prime example of that. The difference between OTA stations and Cable channels is that the latter isn't as much of a "must-carry" the OTA stations are and that might explain why the Cox stations were able to get back on Dish in somewhat of a timely manner and why still over a year later the FSNs aren't on Dish.

Edited by dman748
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I believe that Fox RSN's will not return on Dish until there deal with Sinclair is up for the local TV station and once they agree on a new deal is when RSN's return to Dish just my opinion.

If Sinclair forces Dish to carry the RSN'S, they will likely be carried again in the next Sinclair contract. Agreed.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Ohio senator Sherrod Brown sent a letter to both TEGNA and DIRECTV as well as FCC chair Ajit Pai to end the dispute. It was sent about two weeks ago but I wonder if that's what it took to end it once and for all.

I highly doubt it. Politicians send those types of letters to make their constituents think they're trying to end the dispute, but I doubt they do actually do anything. It's mainly just for show.

• Like 4