Retransmission Consent squabbles

bhratbrat

• 1 month later...

....aaaand Scripps is now gone from Dish.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/251626/scripps-stations-go-dark-to-dish-subs/

Scripps claims that this is their first EVER dispute with a provider, and that they are willing to make a deal.

To put it simply, Dish sucks.  Always has, always will.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 2

This is second time in 4 years that WXMI Fox17 has gone dark on Dish the last time was in 2016 when Fox17 was a Tribune station yup, Dish is the worse when channels go dark. I saw last year when I was looking at Fox17 website that on top that Fox17 could go dark on Dish in Mid-Aug that was only shown for a day thou I didn't see it the next day which I'm guessing that Dish & Tribune signed an extension with them once the merger with Nexstar went final a month later.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Remember the seemingly never ending fight between AT&T and the Sinclair sidecars last year?

Well, the FCC has upheld that the parties failed to negotiate in good faith, and each station could be on the hook for an almost $500k fine. 

https://www.nexttv.com/news/fcc-proposes-dollar10m-in-first-ever-retrans-negotiation-fines

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dish is involved in seven different carriage disputes at this time. That number could grow to eight if a new deal between the satellite TV provider and the Cox Media Group, which owns 18 stations in 10 markets, isn’t reached by 7 PM ET on October 1.

https://tvanswerman.com/2020/09/29/dish-could-lose-even-more-channels-this-week/

3 hours ago, CubsFan79 said:

YOU TUBE TV, Dish,Sling, Fubo TV have all droped  Fox Sports Regionals. 

I believe that the only major MVPD who's managed to keep the Sinclair RSNs has been AT&T as they recently renewed with all Sinclair that included the local stations, the RSNs, Tennis Channel, and added Marquee at launch. AT&T also managed to somehow resolve an earlier dispute with Altitude and added SNLA.

16 hours ago, mightynine said:

Sinclair must be asking the world for those RSNs.

Problem is Sinclair ain't going to get anywhere near what they paid to acquire the RSNs in the first place.

Plus Ripley probably would rather let the RSNs bankrupt Sinclair by doing nothing and playing hardball with MVPDs a very common thing for Sinclair to do so as seen on numerous occaisions throughout this thread than fixing the business by upgrading the programming quality.

Sinclair has failed to understand its not just rebranding of a certain property (such as the RSNs) what matters is content and as the late Summer Redstone would say, content is king. COVID proved that the RSNs in general aren't worth a single nickel to pay for them.

• Like 2

About DIsh, I've always enjoyed their service, but I'm really getting tired of their disputes. I've had them for over 15 years. They claim that networks want to charge them much higher prices, which I don't agree with. But it seems like whenever a dispute happens, most of the time, channels get dropped. And with 7 disputes going on with them, I refuse to believe that it's just the owners of stations, and that Dish has to be part of the problem. It seems like you don't hear about  much disputes with Comcast/Xfinity.

On 9/30/2020 at 12:52 PM, CubsFan79 said:

YOU TUBE TV, Dish,Sling, Fubo TV have all droped  Fox Sports Regionals. 

The first go-around earlier this spring only restored the RSN's to viewers in the primary viewing areas (likely the DMA of the teams themselves) on YTTV.  Other DMA's lost them if they were a secondary market further from the teams covered.

This time, it looks like everybody is losing them unless an agreement is made.

Until the next sport starts up (Basketball or NHL this winter considering things get back to normal?), the channels are basically worthless.

1 minute ago, tyrannical bastard said:

The first go-around earlier this spring only restored the RSN's to viewers in the primary viewing areas (likely the DMA of the teams themselves) on YTTV.  Other DMA's lost them if they were a secondary market further from the teams covered.

Until the next sport starts up (Basketball or NHL this winter considering things get back to normal?), the channels are basically worthless.

1 minute ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Sinclair having paid for the RSN now want more money for their investment in return. Having again being dropped( not droped my mistake) by  Fubo,Sling, Dish, and now You tube. Can Hulu be far behind.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 3:24 AM, Mastaclocksetta said:

Dish is involved in seven different carriage disputes at this time. That number could grow to eight if a new deal between the satellite TV provider and the Cox Media Group, which owns 18 stations in 10 markets, isn’t reached by 7 PM ET on October 1.

https://tvanswerman.com/2020/09/29/dish-could-lose-even-more-channels-this-week/

Dish and Cox have agreed on a one-week extension to avoid a blackout until October 8th.

https://tvanswerman.com/2020/10/02/dish-cox-media-avoid-new-blackout-for-now/

And now the OTT's are at risk.  Nexstar could pull their stations from Hulu if a deal isn't made.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/hulu-with-live-could-lose-nexstar-owned-local-channels-tonight/

Hopefully if and when a deal is reached, they can carry more of their stations, including CW, MyNetwork, independents, and WGN/WGN America.