Retransmission Consent squabbles

bhratbrat

On 1/2/2020 at 5:45 AM, CircleSeven said:

We do have the first blackout in 2020.

Stations owned by the new Cox Media Group (acquired by Apollo Global Management) are blacked out from Verizon Fios systems.

The stations affected are WFXT Boston, WPXI Pittsburgh (plus cable channel PCNC) and WSYT Syracuse.

Agreement has been reached. https://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-radio/2020/01/04/Tuned-In-WPXI-returns-to-Verizon-s-FiOS-pittsburgh/stories/202001040059

On 1/7/2020 at 1:07 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

Hearst is either a better negotiator or was more flexible in their talks.   Nexstar and the Sinclair shells?  Not so much.

One of many things Hearst does right. 

Although I do wonder if their standards have been slipping as of late, given KMBC's decline in the past 5 years and the fact that Hearst lately has been forcing its stations to air must-runs.

Hearst will be the best major owner going forward, now that Cox Media Group is 80% owned by a private equity firm, and private equity firms have always been all about money. Lately many prviate companies have been purchased by private equity firms. This is sad.

Edited by Conrad

On 1/8/2020 at 7:13 PM, Conrad said:

Hearst lately has been forcing its stations to air must-runs.

There really aren’t must runs like Sinclair or Nexstar.  They just have the DC reports, National Investigations (which isn’t often) and now Rossen Reports (which appear to be really short  <1 minute).  

• Like 3

Looks like KIRO-TV and the Apollo/COX lot are having fits with dish Network. They're running the dreaded crawl with the usual urge to viewers to call dish and whine (DON'T do that unless you call KIRO and whine at them first). Not a word about installing an off-air antenna. At least the Seahawks game is on another channel and I have backup from the Vancouver B.C. channels for Colbert.

Edited by Joe Capitano

• 2 weeks later...

The latest on Apollo vs. Dish:
3mls0b.jpg.a6d5e309b2434f7e64e1b4ddfec1756d.jpg

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/apollo-cuts-dish-customer-access-to-local-stations-in-10-markets-court-bars-apollo-from-additional-threatened-blackouts-300989294.html

Note that this only affects the recently acquired Northwest Broadcasting stations. A temporary restraining order has been granted barring the removal of the legacy Cox stations.

1 hour ago, Morphtato said:

The latest on Apollo vs. Dish:
3mls0b.jpg.a6d5e309b2434f7e64e1b4ddfec1756d.jpg

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/apollo-cuts-dish-customer-access-to-local-stations-in-10-markets-court-bars-apollo-from-additional-threatened-blackouts-300989294.html

Note that this only affects the recently acquired Northwest Broadcasting stations. A temporary restraining order has been granted barring the removal of the legacy Cox stations.

I know that DISH has a new agreement with the legacy COX stations from March 2019, thus I'm leading to believe that the issue with the NWB stations either merging them into the COX agreement or making a new agreement with all the Apollo stations. I also wonder whether the prolonged NWB/AT&T dispute in 2019 resulted in a agreement that included all the Apollo stations.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

WISH/WNDY have been pulled from DirecTV/AT&T U-Verse after a dispute with Circle City Broadcasting. This means no satellite subscribers have access to these two stations due to their existing dispute with Dish. https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/indianapolis/2020/01/31/att-u-verse-directv-customers-could-lose-wish-tv-myindy-23-midnight/4624974002/

On 2/1/2020 at 12:02 PM, Morphtato said:

WISH/WNDY have been pulled from DirecTV/AT&T U-Verse after a dispute with Circle City Broadcasting. This means no satellite subscribers have access to these two stations due to their existing dispute with Dish. https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/indianapolis/2020/01/31/att-u-verse-directv-customers-could-lose-wish-tv-myindy-23-midnight/4624974002/

Weren't WISH/WNDY off AT&T last summer in the Nexstar dispute? What's Circle City trying to prove here?

On 2/2/2020 at 2:40 PM, JCB4TV said:

Weren't WISH/WNDY off AT&T last summer in the Nexstar dispute? What's Circle City trying to prove here?

The owner is getting a bit greedy after that payday from Byron Allen...

Edited by Yankees4life

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

Does YouTubeTV still carry WJZY?  I find it odd that they would dump WMYT...but not WJZY.

WJZY is still on YouTubeTV.

Screenshot_2020-03-26 YouTube TV - Watch DVR Live Sports, Shows News(1).png

Edited by AaronQ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRyan said:

Does YouTubeTV still carry WJZY?  I find it odd that they would dump WMYT...but not WJZY.

I wonder if it's an effect of the sell of the duopoly to Nexstar?

Looking up zip codes in Nexstar Markets, and it seems their agreement with YouTube TV  only include their Big 4 affiliates, and not their CW/MyTV affiliates, regardless of duopoly status.

Edited by elfuego35
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, elfuego35 said:

I wonder if it's an effect of the sell of the duopoly to Nexstar?

Looking up zip codes in Nexstar Markets, and it seems their agreement with YouTube TV  only include their Big 4 affiliates, and not their CW/MyTV affiliates, regardless of duopoly status.

Unless, if you look at Charlotte for example, it carries local news (I know, its CW is owned by Bahakel). So YouTube TV is carrying WCCB Charlotte and if that's the case, then it should also carry KPLR St. Louis, KTLA Los Angeles, KWGN Denver, WNLO Buffalo and WTVW Evansville because they all carry a significant amount of local news (especially KTLA).

On 3/15/2020 at 9:49 PM, Morphtato said:

Dish announces temporary agreement with the Nexstar sidecars. https://www.ozarksfirst.com/local-news/dish-announces-short-term-agreement-with-broadcast-groups/

Should mention too that they also agreed to cease-fire with Cox involving the ex-Northwest stations.

On 3/26/2020 at 10:07 PM, TheRolyPoly said:

Unless, if you look at Charlotte for example, it carries local news (I know, its CW is owned by Bahakel). So YouTube TV is carrying WCCB Charlotte and if that's the case, then it should also carry KPLR St. Louis, KTLA Los Angeles, KWGN Denver, WNLO Buffalo and WTVW Evansville because they all carry a significant amount of local news (especially KTLA).

It was dropped because Nexstar does not have an agreement with YTTV to carry their MyNetworkTV affiliates, while Fox did while they were both O&Os.  Bahakel does with the CW, but Nexstar does not.

On the other hand, virtually every market now has access to ABC affiliates since Stephen Marks allowed WBKP in Marquette and WBKB's subchannel in Alpena.  Every other market, including Cheyenne & Casper, WY (despite the presence of KTWO) and all the others that lack an ABC station of their own now have a special ABC network feed as part of their service.

The only other major holes are in Zanesville, OH (with no CBS or FOX feeds) and Glendive, (lacking a FOX feed).   NBC fills in the holes in Alpena and Mankato with WMAQ, and Presque Isle gets WBTS.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
Typo