Retransmission Consent squabbles

bhratbrat

35 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It's only a matter of time before the networks run away from their affiliates.   The strong stations that have really beefed up their local news coverage over the years will be the victors.  The rest?  Atsc 3.0 using their leftover spectrum would make for some great skinny bundles.

Until the big affiliate owners become the networks, that is...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

I shouldn't have to pay for anything that isn't ad free. Besides, they're killing the golden goose.

The only reason I still have cable is because my parents live next door. I buy it for them. Otherwise, I mostly watch over the air TV. I pay $120 ish a month for what they call the medium package and internet. Internet only is about $40 for 100 megabit or maybe it's up to 300 megabit now. That $80 a month extra is a charitable contribution to keep my parents from fighting with each other out of boredom.

Is the crap you see on cable worth $80 a month or $960 a year? Nope.

That's like I've tried to convince my parents to replace Cable with Streaming because it's cheaper to do it that way but my Parents just simply refuse to do it and I live under their roof so I really don't have a say so when it comes to this stuff

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

That's like I've tried to convince my parents to replace Cable with Streaming because it's cheaper to do it that way but my Parents just simply refuse to do it and I live under their roof so I really don't have a say so when it comes to this stuff

Your parents only want the best for you.

You can tell they care because people who stream, are the same folks that also vape, speed and use those hooka bongs .

The cable tv signal is much more pure and organic, and  cable consumes much less electrons for a far more reliable and better signal. Cable is green and is endorsed by Greta the climate girl.

With streaming comes corruption of bits and data, hackers and viruses and all kinds of other cooties that pollute those internet streams.  Plus... lots of streamers are just plain thugs.

Your folks care about you...and so do all of us here at tvnt.

BTW...

This is what I had for a tv under my folks roof, I had to buy it myself, it got 6 local channels via a telescoping antenna. It came with an earphone. and cost me $69 dollars at Fedmart.

image.png.905ee0ab6f8d761c8b72e69253f73330.png

When I decided I wanted 13 channels of "cable tv, I bought a cable splitter and tapped off my parents outlet ...thus committing a misdemeanor that could have followed me on my permanent record.

We just don't want to see you fall into the wrong crowd of vaping, thuggish hoons, streaming all kinds of derelict programming.

Edited by Eat News
Twice - Feel Special MV .. https://youtu.be/3ymwOvzhwHs
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

My parents are too old and stupid to handle streaming. Even email's a challenge for them sometimes. I buried a wire, technically illegal, but I told the cable company what I was doing. They don't care - they just wanted a sale.

My dad is 85 and he watches a lot of football and futball. My mom is 81 and likes the old movies on TCM and all the woman channels. They both watch the news channels and the local stations. 

• Like 2

My parents (70s) have their routine (Dallas):

TV is never on before noon

Noon is CNN

Off mid-afternoon

4pm - CBS11

5pm - WFAA8

5:30 - ABC World New Tonight

6pm - Jeopardy (TXA21)

6:30 - Wheel of Fortune (CBS11)

Prime time varies, but usually the TV is off at 7 - unless Dad goes upstairs for a Ranger’s Game; Mom stays downstairs reading, knitting or possibly watching something previously recorded.

10pm - CBS11 News

10:35 - Colbert

They complain about the cost, but when I suggest a cheaper package - that shuts down the conversation...  Because they might want to watch HBO or Showtime or VOD or...

Whereas I’ve become television’s worst nightmare: someone in their 50s who doesn’t watch TV...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, compubit said:

Whereas I’ve become television’s worst nightmare: someone in their 50s who doesn’t watch TV...

I rarely watch anyting on TV. It's usually just on as background noise. I like some of the LPTVs around here because there are a handful of channels that show old movies.

The cable and satellite companies have really jacked up pay TV in their favor by NOT using CableCards (or even clear QAM for that matter) so they can charge away for the boxes, HD fees, DVR usage, not to mention the voracious energy hogs these said boxes are.

The streamers have it right by being INSIDE certain TV's and using smaller cheaper boxes like Rokus and Fire Sticks. 

And there's always the antenna.  At least that's free....for now.....

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

the voracious energy hogs these said boxes are.

True. The power company installed a new electric meter which I have the ability to monitor through an app. I have a 10-year old 58 inch Samsung Plasma TV. The knock-on plasmas was that they were supposed to be energy hogs, right? Wrong. That huge TV uses only about 100 Watts according to the app. 

But when I have the cable box on, power usage spikes to 500 watts. I couldn't believe it and then I googled it and sure enough these boxes can use up to 500 watts. And I don't even have a DVR. I canceled the DVR because I found that I watch a lot less TV when I don't have the ability to record. This is just a plain jane HD cable box and it uses 500w. That's probably about as much as my electric oven uses. Un-freakin'-believable.

7 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

My parents are too old and stupid to handle streaming. Even email's a challenge for them sometimes. I buried a wire, technically illegal, but I told the cable company what I was doing. They don't care - they just wanted a sale.

My dad is 85 and he watches a lot of football and futball. My mom is 81 and likes the old movies on TCM and all the woman channels. They both watch the news channels and the local stations. 

See my parents are only 64 (my mother will be 65 next month) and yet neither one of them know the cheaper alternative that is streaming, and they hardly use email at all.

You'd think that my own parents would be more adapted to today's technology but nope, in fact when I went to buy my new computer my parents had no idea that there was such a thing as a towerless desktop computer. 

It is what is but I digress...

• Haha 1

Try my grandparents. My grandpa is 73 and my grandma is 71 and they still have Dish Network. I would tell them the joys of streaming since TBN and SonLife both have apps on the Roku now, but that would confuse both of them. Hell, they still have a corded house phone on the damn wall.

Looks like the Sinclair AT&T has another "extension" as the parties are "negotiating"

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-sinclair-agree-to-an-extension-to-keep-local-abc-cbs-fox-nbc-stations-on-directv-att-tv-now-u-verse-tv-more/

Probably through the weekend so people don't miss all their football games......

7 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

Try my grandparents. My grandpa is 73 and my grandma is 71 and they still have Dish Network. I would tell them the joys of streaming since TBN and SonLife both have apps on the Roku now, but that would confuse both of them. Hell, they still have a corded house phone on the damn wall.

Does your grandparents have a cell phone too or just the House phone?

8 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

corded house phone on the damn wall.

I’m trying to get back a corded house phone just so I can fax.  You don’t know how many places don’t accept emails for important documents usually they say it’s because of security or forgery. 

5 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Does your grandparents have a cell phone too or just the House phone?

5 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

Tracfone flip phones for emergencies 😂😂😂

LOL - I finally got my parents to get a cell. They have a $3-ish a month pay-as-you go plan from T-Mobile (30 minutes a month plus 10 cents a minute after that). I buy that for them, too. (They're not poor, just technologically incapable of loading the phone up with more time every couple months when you have to add money to the account.)

4 hours ago, rkolsen said:

I’m trying to get back a corded house phone just so I can fax.  You don’t know how many places don’t accept emails for important documents usually they say it’s because of security or forgery. 

If you have wireline cable, get an Obi202. It can work in conjunction with a Google Phone Number and it usually allows you to fax. Not perfect, but it usually works. Best part about it is that it is effectively free except for the cost of the box. (No monthly fee.) My home landlines are with Obi.  Maybe it works with  wireless internet, I haven't tried.

Also, there is faxzero.com (free but limited to 2 pages) and faxaway,com, which I have been using for years. $1 a month gets you a Seattle-based fax number with a 206 area code and unlimited incoming faxes that come in through email. For outgoing faxes, there is a nominal fee. You compose/scan something in Word or PDF, email it to them and they fax it for you automatically.

Also, I didn't realize this until a few months ago, but my T-Mobile voicemail accepts incoming faxes too, but then you have to forward to a regular fax machine.

35 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Crisis Averted?

Sinclair has modified their AT&T page and is not threatening a blackout...Instead they are still "negotiating"...

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-sinclair-agree-to-an-extension-to-keep-local-abc-cbs-fox-nbc-stations-on-directv-att-tv-now-u-verse-tv-more/

OSU / Nebraska affects their checkbook in Columbus, Dayton and Charleston and all over the state of Nebraska. Then we have all the SEC cities like Birmingham ... 

4 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

If you have wireline cable, get an Obi202. It can work in conjunction with a Google Phone Number and it usually allows you to fax. Not perfect, but it usually works. Best part about it is that it is effectively free except for the cost of the box. (No monthly fee.) My home landlines are with Obi.  Maybe it works with  wireless internet, I haven't tried.

Also, there is faxzero.com (free but limited to 2 pages) and faxaway,com, which I have been using for years. $1 a month gets you a Seattle-based fax number with a 206 area code and unlimited incoming faxes that come in through email. For outgoing faxes, there is a nominal fee. You compose/scan something in Word or PDF, email it to them and they fax it for you automatically.

Also, I didn't realize this until a few months ago, but my T-Mobile voicemail accepts incoming faxes too, but then you have to forward to a regular fax machine.

I was looking into a google voice solution for faxing. The cable modem is downstairs but I have the printer connected to an Ethernet bridge so I could connect it easily. I don’t really want some of the free services due to the nature of what’s being faxed. I think google voice is promising.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 12:46 PM, MadMan400096 said:

And here come the P.O.'d big market NFL fans. Dish had better hope they can get a deal with Fox soon.

This shows a lot of people are stupid. They want the networks/stations yet gripe when they have a huge rate increase at the beginning of the year. Shouldn't they be able to put two and two together?

It's not that infrastructure/maintenance costs increased that much. It's mainly programming costs.

Edited by TVIntheDesert
  • Like 1