Retransmission Consent squabbles

bhratbrat

35 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

We have a brand new carriage dispute. And this is a big one.

AT&T/DirecTV and Disney/ABC

That's not just the eight ABC O&Os, but all of the Disney & ESPN networks as well.

Now they didn't mention when they'll probably pull the networks off of the AT&T/DirecTV platforms.

KGO posted this message about the dispute on its Facebook wall. 

Well that solves this mystery from last night.

20190909_205238.thumb.jpg.1d9a2ba7f03085bd13b609f00fd43631.jpg

20190909_205251.thumb.jpg.a00a258ca24c10b41b997576d884465b.jpg

If I was AT&T I would put up a slide that details how much everybody pays for Disney channels today, how much they want and how much their bill will be going up if Disney gets what they want. I would imagine the fee is pretty substantial with ESPN involved. And if you live in a market with an O&O, I bet you it's costing you over 10 bucks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

We have a brand new carriage dispute. And this is a big one.

AT&T/DirecTV and Disney/ABC

That's not just the eight ABC O&Os, but all of the Disney & ESPN networks as well.

Now they didn't mention when they'll probably pull the networks off of the AT&T/DirecTV platforms.

KGO posted this message about the dispute on its Facebook wall. 

I would like to know this, what is it about AT&T (DIRECTV) getting involved with these carriage disputes? These disputes aren't happening by accident, there has got to be a reason why we've been so many carriage disputes involving (and if I were a betting man I say the majority of those that we've seen this year are involving AT&T/DIRECTV)

2 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

If I was AT&T I would put up a slide that details how much everybody pays for Disney channels today, how much they want and how much their bill will be going up if Disney gets what they want. I would imagine the fee is pretty substantial with ESPN involved. And if you live in a market with an O&O, I bet you it's costing you over 10 bucks.

You are pretty close...

Based on these 2017 numbers.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cable-satellite-tv-sub-fees-espn-networks-2017-3

Edited by Eat News
CLC-Devil .. https://youtu.be/EZ6-NVnzFr4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

They've already posted their reason on http://tvpromise.att.com

Is the evil empire that is AT&T going to say no to Disney the mouse no one says no to the mouse. Charter Spectrum & Disney got a deal done last month with no message from neither side and went into overtime as the deal expired on Aug 2 and deal was reached in mid Aug without the channels going dark. Kinda surprised that Direct TV signed a deal with ACC Network in the spring time knowing they had to get a deal done with Disney in the fall.

12 minutes ago, okiechi said:

We got another one...and there's a common denominator here.

AT&T and Sinclair with a deadline of next Friday.

Oh darn, guess I can't watch the news on KDNL then. 😉

Seriously though, this will impact markets a lot harder than St. Louis. Columbus comes to mind with Ohio State being on Sinclair stations there.

Edited by Mrtraveler01

8 minutes ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

Oh darn, guess I can't watch the news on KDNL then. 😉

Seriously though, this will impact markets a lot harder than St. Louis. Columbus comes to mind with Ohio State being on Sinclair stations there.

Cincinnati is probably the biggest problem; DirecTV customers won't be able to watch most Bengals games.

5 minutes ago, NewsMaster said:

Cincinnati is probably the biggest problem; DirecTV customers won't be able to watch most Bengals games

Cincinnati is only a Cincinnati problem. Ohio State football is a statewide problem. If you don't believe me, check out the ratings big OSU games get in Cleveland and Dayton. Even the Ohio part of the Charleston-Huntington market watches a lot of OSU football. 

That will be another double whammy in places like Rochester, Cincinnati and Mobile/Pensacola where the Deerfield stations (and other Sinclair shells) have been off since the end of May.   At least Nexstar made nice with AT&T and Meredith with dish  or we would have a near total blackout of locals in Mobile/Pensacola.

1 hour ago, hfiles said:

This actually won't be terrible in Green Bay. They play again Thursday night on FOX, play again on 10/6 on FOX. After that they're on ESPN*, CBS, NBC, CBS.

*Although, WLUK is the home of local Monday Night Football telecasts.

Could the Packers call on WBAY, WFRV, or WGBA to air the Packers game that'll appear on MNF in the event that WLUK goes dark? Not suggesting that the Packers would do that but, if I were them, I would have a backup plan just in case WLUK goes dark on AT&T.

Meanwhile in OKC, KOKH is to have the Texas Tech-Oklahoma CFB game on Saturday.

ICYMI: AT&T & Sinclair, through it's recent acquisition of Fox Sports Oklahoma, among others, are sponsors of OU Athletics.

AT&T needs Sinclair just as much as they need Disney!

KEYE's message is now explicitly encouraging people to change providers. Sounds like they're going in for the long haul.

I also noticed that they're explicitly referencing NFL Football as something that would be missed. Definitely a much bigger deal down the road in San Antonio, at least for this week, since the Texans are on KABB and the Cowboys are on WOAI.

Like I said, cable companies should do what the satellite companies used to do and hook you up in a manner so that you just pick up channels off the air, but they get tuned through the cable box. Then these silly disputes will stop and so will the <strike>stream of revenue</strike> extortion money paid to broadcasters.

4 hours ago, channel2 said:

Hasn't that extortion money done a great deal to keep broadcast TV afloat the last 20 years or so? Well, the outlets that don't have an ESPN or a Fox News kind of cash cow.

I shouldn't have to pay for anything that isn't ad free. Besides, they're killing the golden goose.

The only reason I still have cable is because my parents live next door. I buy it for them. Otherwise, I mostly watch over the air TV. I pay $120 ish a month for what they call the medium package and internet. Internet only is about $40 for 100 megabit or maybe it's up to 300 megabit now. That $80 a month extra is a charitable contribution to keep my parents from fighting with each other out of boredom.

Is the crap you see on cable worth $80 a month or $960 a year? Nope.

• Like 1