Retransmission Consent squabbles

bhratbrat

Just now, GoldenShine9 said:

Although, DirecTV was infamous for disputes even before AT&T took over.

Seems more like a Dish thing.  This is the first time my locals have been affected, and between Nexstar and Deerfield, that's FOUR stations.

The only major ones in my first stint with DirecTV were a short Viacom spat (during which my DVR was hit by lightning anyways), the loss of WGN America during a brief Tribune outage, and the 5 month spat with TWC.

There was a couple close calls with Sinclair and Deerfield, Meredith & Media General (post-LIN) but they stayed on.

On 7/20/2019 at 3:00 PM, alrdenver82 said:

Glad I don't have DirecTV anymore, I can get them over the air and through CBS All Access, it's the better way to go.

I have an over the air antenna, so all is good.  They can keep it off of DirecTV for as long as they like.  

It's YouTube TV and Philo for me.  Since Google doesn't have any stake in most of the content providers (other than YouTube), they are willing to negotiate and have avoided the blackouts that most other providers have endured.  Philo fills in virtually all of the other gaps (with Viacom and some other channels like A&E and the other Discovery networks) so between both services it's a cable-like package.

The major selling point with YouTube is the complete availability of big 4 locals in virutally every market.  The lone exception is Tribune and their ABC affiliates.  CW and MyNetwork is still piecemeal, largely available with the O&Os and Sinclair, but not with Tribune, Nexstar, Scripps or Tegna.  Some of the smaller markets lack networks simply because the network is not available locally there, with a few minor exceptions where NBC O&Os are provided in places like Alpena and Mankato (WMAQ). 

• Like 1

Here are some dates to watch as to when we can possibly see movement on these current squabbles:

August 1: NFL Preseason starts

August 24: College Football starts

September 5: NFL Regular Season starts

On 7/22/2019 at 2:42 AM, DENDude said:

I have an over the air antenna, so all is good.  They can keep it off of DirecTV for as long as they like.  

At least you don't have to pay that local broadcast fee that way.

Easy solution to all this: Cable boxes should have a place to plug in an antenna. Have the OTA signals listed in the cable guide right along with the rest of the channels--hit the channel number just like all the rest of the cable channels and it tunes to an OTA channel without having to hit an A/B switch or without picking up programming from the cable company.

On 7/23/2019 at 3:17 PM, DirtyHarry said:

At least you don't have to pay that local broadcast fee that way.

Easy solution to all this: Cable boxes should have a place to plug in an antenna. Have the OTA signals listed in the cable guide right along with the rest of the channels--hit the channel number just like all the rest of the cable channels and it tunes to an OTA channel without having to hit an A/B switch or without picking up programming from the cable company.

IIRC, some of the Dish Network pre-Hopper receivers can take in OTA signals and appear on the guide. Comes in handey, especially when Dish has its occasional spats.

Edit: Just looked on Dish's website. Apparently, even the Hoppers and Wallys can do it with a USB dongle.

Edited by NEOMatrix
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

IIRC, some of the Dish Network pre-Hopper receivers can take in OTA signals and appear on the guide. Comes in handey, especially when Dish has its occasional spats.

Edit: Just looked on Dish's website. Apparently, even the Hoppers and Wallys can do it with a USB dongle.

You're right, I forgot about that. They should do that with cable boxes.

Incidentally, the power company changed my meter to a new electronic one. They gave me this Gizmo that allows me to monitor energy usage on my phone. I was playing around with it and I didn't realize how much juice those cable boxes use. Mine is pulling 500 watts (w/o a DVR) while the 58" plasma TV only pulls about a hundred. More incentive to hook up an antenna to the TV.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 8:23 PM, NEOMatrix said:

DirecTV has had that capability in their earlier receivers (like the HR20) and with their no longer available AM-21 Tuner accessory.

Now it's some kind of USB dongle that wasn't available until recently.

On 7/28/2019 at 4:27 PM, JCB4TV said:

Another question is can it pass the House, since there's no indication if the votes are there.

On 7/22/2019 at 10:38 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

It's YouTube TV and Philo for me.  Since Google doesn't have any stake in most of the content providers (other than YouTube), they are willing to negotiate and have avoided the blackouts that most other providers have endured.  Philo fills in virtually all of the other gaps (with Viacom and some other channels like A&E and the other Discovery networks) so between both services it's a cable-like package.

The major selling point with YouTube is the complete availability of big 4 locals in virutally every market.  The lone exception is Tribune and their ABC affiliates.  CW and MyNetwork is still piecemeal, largely available with the O&Os and Sinclair, but not with Tribune, Nexstar, Scripps or Tegna.  Some of the smaller markets lack networks simply because the network is not available locally there, with a few minor exceptions where NBC O&Os are provided in places like Alpena and Mankato (WMAQ). 

Some recent updates....

it looks like PBS has inked a deal with YouTubeTV to carry any affilates that want to participate, as well as the PBSKids network.  I wonder if this will include a network feed for markets unwilling to participate.

Speaking of networks, it looks like ABC is now available in the Tribune markets (as a network feed) as well as the CW feed in markets that have not authorized their local affiliates on to the system.

Also, it looks like networks that were not carried by a local affiliate at all are now available in these affected markets....places like Zanesville, Ohio.   More than likely these are network feeds and not adjacent affiliates.

(see below post)

Edited by tyrannical bastard
Typo & redaction

50 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Some recent updates....

it looks like PBS has inked a deal with YouTubeTV to carry any affilates that want to participate, as well as the PBSKids network.  I wonder if this will include a network feed for markets unwilling to participate.

There is... it is one of three options for PBS member stations (their stations are not called "affiliates") that elect to offer a feed to YTTV (from Current):

[PBS Digital Chief Ira] Rubenstein said the YouTube TV deal required a commitment from a critical mass of stations. The Public Television Major Market Group, representing PBS members in the largest television markets in the U.S., agreed to participate. PBS had already convened an advisory group of seven PBS members, including state networks and stations in smaller cities, last summer to explore options for securing a path for every PBS station to deliver a localized stream for OTT.

Together, they developed three options for stations to participate in the YouTube TV agreement:
Under the first option, YouTube TV will grab over-the-air signals of local stations that clear the rights to at least 90% of their schedules.
Under the more complex second option, stations can create a dedicated, fully-cleared feed and deliver it independently to YouTube TV. Stations that choose this option would replace shows that are not cleared for digital streaming.
For the third option, PBS provides a feed of completely cleared programs that will be localized with station ID inserts. Under this option, the feed provides no local programs or pledge drives.

When PBS took an informal poll during its annual meeting in May, about two-thirds of GMs indicated they were leaning towards the first option, according to Rubenstein. But as key distributors who syndicate shows to local stations have resolved rights clearances for their programs, more GMs now favor this option.

The master agreement between PBS and YouTube, announced Monday, provides livestreaming for up to three PBS stations in a market, Rubenstein said. Between now and launch, stations will be signing individual agreements with YouTube TV and with PBS.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

UPDATE:. As of 8/1, the information I redacted earlier is now live....so it appears YouTube TV is filling in market holes with missing networks (even in places where affiliates exist and no carriage deal is in place).  I'm curious to see if these are distant affiliates or network feeds just to try and convince the few remaining stations to join.

I'll be signing up in a few days and curious to see how I'll be getting the CW, whether it's my affiliate WFNA, or a network feed.  I'm done with AT&T, especially after this standoff with Deerfield and Nexstar.

UPDATED INFO

On 7/30/2019 at 4:27 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

UPDATE:. As of 8/1, the information I redacted earlier is now live....so it appears YouTube TV is filling in market holes with missing networks (even in places where affiliates exist and no carriage deal is in place).  I'm curious to see if these are distant affiliates or network feeds just to try and convince the few remaining stations to join.

I'll be signing up in a few days and curious to see how I'll be getting the CW, whether it's my affiliate WFNA, or a network feed.  I'm done with AT&T, especially after this standoff with Deerfield and Nexstar.

IIRC, it’ll be if the company has a group-wide deal. So if YouTubeTV has a deal to carry WOIO, then WUAB may be carried as well, unless the contract was made when WUAB was an “independent”*.

*since MyNetworkTV is technically not a network, I consider any station that carries MNT and nothing else an “independent”.

EDIT: As of 8/5, YTTV only carries Cleveland’s big-4 affiliations, so no WUAB despite it being CW. Also, they now carry the Youngstown locals, yes, even WFMJ.

Edited by NEOMatrix

All rightey....

I am now a YouTubeTV subscriber.  And YouTube TV's page is back to how it was before....so no CW feed or station for me....yet.   but it does look like network programming is available on demand after it airs.   Hopefully this capability extends to markets where affiliate stations of any network either haven't agreed to carriage or don't exist at all in the market.

They are currently running a 2 week free trial so it's definitely worth a try.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, tyrannical bastard said:

The Nexstar/AT&T feud is over.

https://deadline.com/2019/08/att-nexstar-settle-carriage-dispute-that-blacked-out-stations-in-97-markets-1202707707/

I wonder if it was the threat of Dorian, the upcoming football season, or just some good old fashioned negotiations...

There we go 

• 2 weeks later...

We have a brand new carriage dispute. And this is a big one.

AT&T/DirecTV and Disney/ABC

That's not just the eight ABC O&Os, but all of the Disney & ESPN networks as well.

Now they didn't mention when they'll probably pull the networks off of the AT&T/DirecTV platforms.

KGO posted this message about the dispute on its Facebook wall.