Retransmission Consent squabbles

bhratbrat

AFAIK, Sinclair is NOT involved in these disputes, as it shouldn't be.  This is a case of a group of licensees who for some unknown reason, have ignored the need to negotiate with AT&T to restore their stations to UVerse and DirecTV.

There may be a boilerplate standard these stations work off from but it is ultimately up to the license holder(s) to negotiate.

• 2 weeks later...

And now there was Nexstar and AT&T.....

That's two more channels gone from my DirecTV service.  Alongside WPMI and WJTC which have been gone for over a month now.

And like the last one, little or no warning, and AT&T yanks the signal at a moment's notice.

They can go to hell.  This is the final straw with them.  They are so gone when my contract is up.

On 6/20/2019 at 12:23 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

AFAIK, Sinclair is NOT involved in these disputes, as it shouldn't be.  This is a case of a group of licensees who for some unknown reason, have ignored the need to negotiate with AT&T to restore their stations to UVerse and DirecTV.

There may be a boilerplate standard these stations work off from but it is ultimately up to the license holder(s) to negotiate.

Which in that case it would be Cunningham. Not only that but one would think that holding your own stations off of DirecTV for this long, should ultimately go against your qualifications as far as license renewal is concerned.

2 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Which in that case it would be Cunningham. Not only that but one would think that holding your own stations off of DirecTV for this long, should ultimately go against your qualifications as far as license renewal is concerned.

Cunningham, Deerfield (Manhan), Howard Stirk, and all of the other beard companies that run Sinclair's extra stations.  Whether or not there's collusion between ANY of these groups, the fact that they are doing NOTHING to resolve this dispute is unacceptable.

At least in AT&T's eyes, they are "working with Nexstar behind the scenes" to get their stations back.

I'm not holding my breath, since it was Nexstar that created this game of holding pay tv companies and viewers hostage when they couldn't cut a deal.

Not that AT&T & DirecTV viewers can see the message that Nexstar has running on Wood TV, WOTV & WXSP telling them to bring the TV stations back. Which if the TV stations go dark don't run a scroll 24/7 use the stations website for that. AT&T has message on those channels that are effected saying how Nexstar is wrong.

12 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Cunningham, Deerfield (Manhan), Howard Stirk, and all of the other beard companies that run Sinclair's extra stations.  Whether or not there's collusion between ANY of these groups, the fact that they are doing NOTHING to resolve this dispute is unacceptable.

It's clear to me that this is where needs to open up an investigation into possible Collusion between Cunningham and Sinclair and actually run it concurrently with the Lack of Candor investigation the FCC is doing on Sinclair itself.

It's WAYYYYY overdue for the FCC to start holding Sinclair and their related broadcasting "companies" accountible for their actions

On 7/4/2019 at 10:51 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

And now there was Nexstar and AT&T.....

That's two more channels gone from my DirecTV service.  Alongside WPMI and WJTC which have been gone for over a month now.

And like the last one, little or no warning, and AT&T yanks the signal at a moment's notice.

They can go to hell.  This is the final straw with them.  They are so gone when my contract is up.

Million-dollar question, did the Nexstar shells (Mission, Vaughan, Marshall) get pulled off DirecTV and U-Verse as well? Or just the Nexstar-owned stations?

Looks like it's only the Nexstar stations.  I checked websites for WYTV and OzarksFirst.com.  WYTV says nothing of an outage (so they're likely unaffected) and the OzarksFirst.com notification only  applies to KOZL and KRBK, which are owned by Nexstar directly.  KOLR is likely unaffected since they're a Mission station.

In other words, the shells should be business as usual.  It's the directly owned stations that are bearing the dispute unlike what's going on at Sinclair, where it's all of the sidecars....

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Thank goodness it's not AT&T, or that would knock out ALL of the Mobile affiliates, and leave only WEAR/WFGX, the PBS affiliates  (WSRE & APT), and infomercial channels WFBD and WAWD on DirecTV.

At least there's a warning about this.  Dish seems like a good company anymore with all of the shenanigans AT&T is pulling on its customers.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

...and Meredith is now gone from Dish, several hours before a midnight (PT) deadline, and a day-long extension by both parties to continue negotating....

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/236899/dish-drops-meredith-owned-stations/

And now, CBS is the latest group to go to war with AT&T (at least it's only the O&O stations, but could be another blow to AT&T)

https://deadline.com/2019/07/cbs-warns-of-potential-directv-and-att-u-verse-blackouts-in-17-markets-1202647179/

On 7/16/2019 at 9:45 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

And now, CBS is the latest group to go to war with AT&T (at least it's only the O&O stations, but could be another blow to AT&T)

https://deadline.com/2019/07/cbs-warns-of-potential-directv-and-att-u-verse-blackouts-in-17-markets-1202647179/

Just saw a crawl about this on WKBD.

They say that CBS is blacked out on DirecTV/U-Verse I have DirecTV & KCNC is still on my line up (Around 1:50AM, MDT), Unless I missed something here..

Smithsonian & CBS Sports Network went off at 12:03 AM today.

I have DirecTV Now and CBS must really be playing hardball because not only did they pull WUPA here in Atlanta they also yanked WGCL (which isn’t even owned by CBS Corporation!) off too Even though on AT&T/DirecTV website it says CBS here in Atlanta would not be affected 

664A0B81-7202-46A6-9B47-B7C407C5A373.jpeg

1 hour ago, Hickman360 said:

I have DirecTV Now and CBS must really be playing hardball because not only did they pull WUPA here in Atlanta they also yanked WGCL (which isn’t even owned by CBS Corporation!) off too Even though on AT&T/DirecTV website it says CBS here in Atlanta would not be affected 

664A0B81-7202-46A6-9B47-B7C407C5A373.jpeg

The irony of that, I believe WGCL has also been affected by the Dish-Metedith dispute. This may mean satellite customers in the Atlanta market may be without CBS in any form.

On 7/12/2019 at 10:14 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

Thank goodness it's not AT&T, or that would knock out ALL of the Mobile affiliates, and leave only WEAR/WFGX, the PBS affiliates  (WSRE & APT), and infomercial channels WFBD and WAWD on DirecTV.

Reminds me of what Dish customers in the Traverse City market in Michigan had to deal with at one point in 2015. They were left with only CMUPT (PBS) on Dish as the respective owners of 9&10/WFQX and 7&9/29&8 were both in the midst of disputes with Dish.

Right now, half of the nation's satellite subscribers are without CBS.

CBS O&Os? Out.
Nexstar-owned CBS affiliates? Out.
Meredith-owned CBS affiliates? Out.
KSWT Yuma-El Centro, KVIQ-LP Eureka, and WXVT-LD Greenville-Greenwood. All owned by Northwest Broadcasting, whose stations have been off of AT&T services since freaking February.

Watch ratings for Big Brother drop, and watch as other broadcasters may end up in new retransmission disputes, potentially cutting off CBS access to even more satellite subscribers.

Edited by DetroitTVNews
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, DetroitTVNews said:

The irony of that, I believe WGCL has also been affected by the Dish-Metedith dispute. This may mean satellite customers in the Atlanta market may be without CBS in any form.

Reminds me of what Dish customers in the Traverse City market in Michigan had to deal with at one point in 2015. They were left with only CMUPT (PBS) on Dish as the respective owners of 9&10/WFQX and 7&9/29&8 were both in the midst of disputes with Dish.

Yep I believe all satellites subscribers in the Atlanta market currently do not have WGCL on their lineup because of the Dish/Meredith dispute and the AT&T-DirecTV/CBS dispute 

2 hours ago, DENDude said:

KCNC Was pulled at Noon MDT today, they were in the middle of airing a promo for an upcoming newscast and it went off.

Glad I don't have DirecTV anymore, I can get them over the air and through CBS All Access, it's the better way to go.

Has a single provider (AT&T) ever been in this many prolonged disputes at one time?

This is why AT&T should have NEVER purchased Time Warner.  Even Comcast hasn't resorted to standoffs like these despite their mega merger with NBCUniversal.

It's like this merger needs to be undone. NOW.  Much like the KYW swap in the 60s.  

Our DOJ should be ashamed of themselves for letting this happen.

End rant.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DetroitTVNews said:

Right now, half of the nation's satellite subscribers are without CBS.

CBS O&Os? Out.
Nexstar-owned CBS affiliates? Out.
Meredith-owned CBS affiliates? Out.
KSWT Yuma-El Centro, KVIQ-LP Eureka, and WXVT-LD Greenville-Greenwood. All owned by Northwest Broadcasting, whose stations have been off of AT&T services since freaking February.

Watch ratings for Big Brother drop, and watch as other broadcasters may end up in new retransmission disputes, potentially cutting off CBS access to even more satellite subscribers.

and whats sad, majority of Nexstar's stations are CBS. 

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Has a single provider (AT&T) ever been in this many prolonged disputes at one time?

This is why AT&T should have NEVER purchased Time Warner.  Even Comcast hasn't resorted to standoffs like these despite their mega merger with NBCUniversal.

It's like this merger needs to be undone. NOW.  Much like the KYW swap in the 60s.  

Our DOJ should be ashamed of themselves for letting this happen.

End rant.

Although, DirecTV was infamous for disputes even before AT&T took over.