Retransmission Consent squabbles

bhratbrat

7 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

All of the Tribune stations are off Spectrum systems in 24 markets.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/tribune-stations-go-dark-on-charter-spectrum-systems-in-24-markets-1202528240/

Here is what Spectrum is running on the channels blacked out. (They also make it known how they really feel about WGN America)

13 minutes ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

Here is what Spectrum is running on the channels blacked out. (They also make it known how they really feel about WGN America)

Interesting they point out antenna and other options are available. Something that may shooting themselves in the foot.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Interesting they point out antenna and other options are available. Something that may shooting themselves in the foot.

I like how they publically dump on WGN America saying "it's a channel "very few people watch". Not exactly professional even if its true. These ever increasing retransmission fees for OTA channels are pretty idiotic and a big contributor to the rising cost of cable. Ironically by doing this, broadcasting companies like Tribune are driving viewers away. That said Spectrum couldve worded this a little more professionally. 

Off topic: I like the background music even if it's a tad overdramatic. 

Edited by Mrtraveler01

On 1/3/2019 at 2:47 AM, rkolsen said:

A lot of people in Cleveland are upset about WJW not being on Spectrum.  A bowling alley on the east side has resorted to putting Spectrum News 1 Ohio on one of the big screens.  Of the preferred local alternatives, many viewers seem to trust WEWS the most.  Anyway, WJW is still off even though it's now Saturday, and sports programming is on Fox now.  Some believe that it will all be resolved in two weeks.  Still, it's bad for Spectrum.  That's going to cause more people to leave cable for alternatives (streaming, over-the-air).

On 1/3/2019 at 5:59 PM, Mrtraveler01 said:

I like how they publically dump on WGN America saying "it's a channel "very few people watch". Not exactly professional even if its true. These ever increasing retransmission fees for OTA channels are pretty idiotic and a big contributor to the rising cost of cable. Ironically by doing this, broadcasting companies like Tribune are driving viewers away. That said Spectrum couldve worded this a little more professionally. 

MyNetworkTV affiliates have been dumped on much worse in these disputes; Time Warner pulled the Journal stations and pretty much said 'all their stuff is on other networks and streaming already or is awful; you are missing nothing'. When WGN America gave up for whatever Cancom drivel that's cheapest for Tribune to buy as they waited for Sinclair to take it over, it basically became a dead zone of nothing. I dumped it the moment they killed Manhattan, and their hasty cancellations really came back to bite them, since Rachel Brosnahan, one of their leads, is grabbing all the hardware for her role in Mrs. Maisel.

But to add to this, it looks like Fox played 'uhh, what firewall?' with Fox Sports Go tonight, perhaps with NFL prodding. FoxNow is currently blocked out for Spectrum customers in Tribune Fox markets for regular Fox livestreams, but I had no problem at all streaming the wild card game on my Apple TV through Fox Sports Go. Even if it hasn't worked, Fox Deportes on-screen and Westwood One on radio would've been just as as good of an experience. And I can just wait to watch Bob's Burgers for one day on Hulu. But I loathe to think what the sports bars with Spectrum must do to get a signal if they don't think ahead of time.

4 hours ago, TheRob said:

The Tribune-Spectrum blackout has ended.

Let the healing and rebuilding begin...

So who "won"?

Edited by Eat News
I won...because I own an antenna. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fXnYu5FFxU

22 minutes ago, TheRob said:

I won, because I bet a co-worker the blackout would end before the government shutdown would end.

They may have taken away booze, drugs and women (the floozie types) from the newsrooms of America...

But they will NEVER take away our wagering!

PS Rob..

I lost my shirt on the shutdown, but I got a real good Scotus tip on the line with "Little Jimmy"  in Laguna Beach.

...Iet me know if you want in on the action. ( smiley winky face)

Edited by Eat News
KBEX Grab Bag https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKAi5cWHYDY

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

I'm a long time DIRECTV customer and survived the two week Viacom was gone in 2012, yet I agree with Viacom on this one as any American who hasn't been traumatized by Trump & Fox News knows that the THREE things that are driving up cost of pay TV bills these days are SPORTS, SPORTS, SPORTS. In addition, Viacom is kinda miffed that AT&T is themselves a content provider with the addition of the Warner channels and that they were shut of the new DIRECTV Now packages.

For those of you who still want Viacom, the best option I've seen is Philo, which Viacom is a party in this venture. This service is $20/month with the first week free.

10 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

I'm a long time DIRECTV customer and survived the two week Viacom was gone in 2012, yet I agree with Viacom on this one as any American who hasn't been traumatized by Trump & Fox News knows that the THREE things that are driving up cost of pay TV bills these days are SPORTS, SPORTS, SPORTS. In addition, Viacom is kinda miffed that AT&T is themselves a content provider with the addition of the Warner channels and that they were shut of the new DIRECTV Now packages.

For those of you who still want Viacom, the best option I've seen is Philo, which Viacom is a party in this venture. This service is $20/month with the first week free.

Except Viacom doesn't have sports on any of its channels, except maybe Bellator. Basically, years of mediocre programming if finally catching up to them, so Bob Bakish now has to pay for Philippe Dauman's sins. Now you see why Sheri Redstone is pursuing the CBS re-merger with Viacom.

Edited by NEOMatrix
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/2/2019 at 5:40 PM, JCB4TV said:

Just weeks after AT&T and Viacom entered into a peace treaty, it appears that Ma Bell and made peace with A+E Networks as the AT&T TV Promise website has reverted back to their all is well look. I am watching Live PD as I type. 

Meanwhile, DIRECTV is missing the channels owned by Northwest Broadcasting.

This is heading into the Terrier deal.

2 hours ago, AmericanErrorist said:

This is heading into the Terrier deal.

This might be an interesting situation to see unfold, especially if it lasts long enough for the assorted deals for Terrier to close. Has there ever been a case where a company in a retransmission fight has taken control of new stations during that fight?

I know back in 2013 Media General and Dish had a squabble that ended a couple of days before their merger with Young closed but I think that's the closest we've gotten. Given that the main element of Northwest's worth is the retransmission deals, I wonder if it would instantly apply to the ex-Cox stations.

• 4 weeks later...

Some of Sinclair's stations (owned by Deerfield Media) are being blacked out by AT&T (both UVerse & DirecTV)

https://mynbc15.com/news/local/att-and-directv-have-removed-wpmi-and-wjtc-utv-44-from-their-systems

Also, WHAM is off due to "reasons beyond 13WHAM's control".

No word on other stations including WSTR, WUTB, KAME, KBTV. or the other Deerfield-owned stations run by Sinclair. 

All of the directly-owned Sinclair stations are not affected.

UPDATE:  It looks like the other Deerfield stations are affected, from reviewing Facebook posts from viewers (WSTR, KMYS) and stations (KBTV).

No warning whatsoever on this one....It's not even June 1st yet!

Edited by tyrannical bastard
New info

Add WEYI to the list of DirecTV stations tied to Sinclair (they are HSH)

The only other station of note is WWMB in Myrtle Beach, and there's no word on their status.  The rest are Sinclair cast-offs that are completely owned & operated by HSH.

While we're at it, should we expect a Cunningham blackout as well?

On 9/23/2017 at 1:09 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

...and Meredith is another company that is having issues with AT&T, and by what is being circulated out there, could do the same any second now.

As a DirecTV customer who gets one of their stations (WALA), this one came out of the blue. My only notification was reading about it in the trades, the "alert" channel popping up on 10-1, and a brief popup on their website, and other Meredith-owned stations.

As of this posting, WALA is still up on DirecTV and there is no mention of any dispute and/or resolution to the matter.

Good ole DirecTV.....while the quoted dispute was resolved LONG ago, the "alert" channel is STILL there for WALA, yet no such channels exist for WPMI and WJTC.

WPMI in black while WJTC has the "owner has removed this channel" slide up.

Thank goodness I have an antenna, and the ability to watch WXXV out of Gulfport (and sometimes WDAM out of Hattiesburg...)

• 3 weeks later...

It just keeps getting better for the sidecar stations locked in a dispute with AT&T...

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/at-t-files-bad-faith-retrans-complaint-against-nine-broadcasters

Here's hoping the FCC puts the hurt on them.  

I guess there are worse things than  being owned by Sinclair.... Just more proof that these sidecars are incapable of being independent broadcasters and should have never acquired the stations they have now...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It just keeps getting better for the sidecar stations locked in a dispute with AT&T...

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/at-t-files-bad-faith-retrans-complaint-against-nine-broadcasters

I guess there are worse things than  being owned by Sinclair.... Just more proof that these sidecars are incapable of being independent broadcasters and should have never acquired the stations they have now...

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Now this is a situation where collusion might actually be illegal. Companies can't collude together to force business terms down AT&T throats. They better watch it.