Retransmission Consent squabbles

bhratbrat

Dispatch and DIRECTV still haven't reached a deal. On 10TV News a few weeks ago, they even suggested affected viewers get an antenna to pull in WHIO out of Dayton for Bengals games.

Saw an ad during the Y&R station break from WBNS urging viewers to get Spectrum, WOW, or use an antenna. This is the LONGEST i've seen negotiations stall

• Like 2

The Lilly stations are Blacked Out from Dish Network, as of 7pm/ET tonight.

And this includes the WSEE feed for Puerto Rico....

Not exactly the best timing, but then again, given the current situation there, few may be able to watch TV in the first place.

UPDATE: Lilly has allowed the Puerto Rico & VI stations to continue airing on Dish for now...

• Like 2

The Dispatch stations have been off of Directv and AT&T for almost a month...

The last major retransmission squabble between Dispatch and a major provider was in 2000... between them and Time Warner. Time Warner refused to carry ONN in the Columbus market, so if I recall correctly, Dispatch briefly pulled WBNS until ONN was carried.

No mention of a resolution thus far.

Didn't Dispatch have a thing with Dish a few years back? I can clearly remember WTHR talking about being pulled from Dish Network....

To start things off, AT&T has pulled the American Spirit stations from DirecTV and UVerse.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/107537/directv-att-drop-american-spirit-stations

I guess I'm just not as far in on TV news operations, but how does this work? Does American Spirit have different contracts from Raycom?

So if Mission has a dispute with DirecTV, for example, Nexstar stations would continue to stay?

You're correct. American Spirit and Raycom are 2 totally independent entities and each has to negotiate their own carriage agreements (Same for Mission/Nexstar and Sinclair/Cunningham). The "side car" stations may be run out of the other station (for example, the Raycom station provides Master Control and Playout services to the American Spirit station for a fee, provides a newscast for a fee, etc.), but other entities (marketing) are supposed to be completely independent (they may be independent, they may be linked at the hip...).

Many times (but not always) the main station (Raycom, Nexstar, Sinclair, etc.) is a Big 4 station (with an easier carriage mandate), and the side-car station (American Spirit, Mission, Cunningham) is an independent/CW/MyNet station (with less of a desire to pay [as much as the bigger station]). Hope this helps.

Jim

• Like 2

Also, the sales staff may nominally be employed by the sidecar owner. In the NPG Yuma-El Centro cluster, Blackhawk Broadcasting (Brian Brady) handles sales for KYMA and KSWT. The sales staff are not NPG employees. NPG handles everything else for those stations, however.

Also, the sales staff may nominally be employed by the sidecar owner. In the NPG Yuma-El Centro cluster, Blackhawk Broadcasting (Brian Brady) handles sales for KYMA and KSWT. The sales staff are not NPG employees. NPG handles everything else for those stations, however.

I meant sales - too late on a Saturday night... I thought that some of the new rules required the sales staffs to be fully separate.

Jim

• Like 1

The only thing that this spat between Viacom and Charter has done is to make me realize is just how little I actually watch Viacom channels.

I'm still on a TWC channel package, but have considered switching to a Charter package to get the faster internet speed. I've avoided it because I would have to bump to the "Gold" package to get the Viacom channels. After this? Eh, Silver is good enough... and with that package, I'd get HBO. :)

• Like 3

Charter and Viacom agreed to extend the deadline short term as negotiations are proceeding. Some have made a valid point - most Viacom channels won't be missed if taken off and others have no specific purpose anymore. Viacom has a lot of work to do to make itself relevent again.

• Like 2

NowBergen said:
Charter and Viacom agreed to extend the deadline short term as negotiations are proceeding. Some have made a valid point - most Viacom channels won't be missed if taken off and others have no specific purpose anymore. Viacom has a lot of work to do to make itself relevent again.

I have no idea how I would survive without MTV's Catfish...and Cheaters marathons on VH-1.

Nev and Max...where are you?

Edited by Eat News
https://www.newsweek.com/live-san-quentin-201286

• 4 weeks later...
WRAL and WRAZ back on U-Verse after two month absence!!!!!

http://www.wral.com/wral-fox-50-back-on-u-verse/16921951/

That's all?

One stupid web article?

How come WRAL didn't send out a live truck and reporter for this update?

I would think after 2 months impasse on a multi-million dollar deal that it would be the lead story.

I want to see some MOS from upset viewers who didn't get the Zoomies show or Cheaters.

Where are the shots of viewers celebrating the return of TV?

No parties?

• 1 month later...

Although not involving a broadcast station, Altice USA (Optimum) in NJ, NYC Outer Boroughs, LI and CT dropped Starz and Starz Encore on Jan. 1. Optimum claims that Starz wanted a significant fee hike while customers can purchase their OTT service directly from Starz for less. Optimum also claims that Starz had low viewership (which based on some of their other stations is hard to believe). Starz claims that Altice has no desire to negotiate in good faith. Altice has added the Cowboy Channel, Hallmark Drama, MGM and Sony as "replacements" which is total crap. Altice does not plan to adjust fees accordingly either claiming Starz was part of your bundle and we have the right to change service anytime. Many subscribers are upset and getting nasty towards Altice, and rightfully so. This is turning nasty and worth watching.

• Like 2

Although not involving a broadcast station, Altice USA (Optimum) in NJ, NYC Outer Boroughs, LI and CT dropped Starz and Starz Encore on Jan. 1. Optimum claims that Starz wanted a significant fee hike while customers can purchase their OTT service directly from Starz for less. Optimum also claims that Starz had low viewership (which based on some of their other stations is hard to believe). Starz claims that Altice has no desire to negotiate in good faith. Altice has added the Cowboy Channel, Hallmark Drama, MGM and Sony as "replacements" which is total crap. Altice does not plan to adjust fees accordingly either claiming Starz was part of your bundle and we have the right to change service anytime. Many subscribers are upset and getting nasty towards Altice, and rightfully so. This is turning nasty and worth watching.

The Cowboy Channel? Where did that come from?

• Like 1