Retransmission Consent squabbles

bhratbrat

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Here's an interesting tidbit of information: Comcast's website lists in December they have to renegotiate the carriage of Telemundo's delayed feed that's carried on their Hispanic tier. I wonder why they have to renegotiate carriage with their own broadcast networks?

http://xfinity.comcast.net/learn/programming/

Here's an interesting tidbit of information: Comcast's website lists in December they have to renegotiate the carriage of Telemundo's delayed feed that's carried on their Hispanic tier. I wonder why they have to renegotiate carriage with their own broadcast networks?

http://xfinity.comcast.net/learn/programming/

isn't because the pipeline (xfinity) is a different business unit as content/networks (NBCU) and Comcast has become just a holding name of the two properties? I have to think it was part of the provision of the FCC terms of the deal 4 years ago.

isn't because the pipeline (xfinity) is a different business unit as content/networks (NBCU) and Comcast has become just a holding name of the two properties? I have to think it was part of the provision of the FCC terms of the deal 4 years ago.

I'm reading the FCC document and it appears that they have to ensure reasonable programming prices to other MVPD (cable companies) and to make any content Comcast makes available to its subscribers available to other MVPD at a fair price.

Maybe they just have to go through the motions to show that they charge X amount to their subscribers so that other MVPD will have to pay that amount if they want the feed to comply with the regulations.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rob Lowe evidently didn't expect a retrans consent dispute to cause him to lose Fox (and CBS and ABC)... The NPG dispute means lost playoffs, and in this case, one of the sickest burns I've ever seen on Twitter.

[MEDIA=twitter]820357083765698560[/MEDIA]

EDIT: The tweet was removed but this was its text:

Hi, I'm Rob Lowe. And I'M "Screwed Over" Rob Lowe, with @DIRECTV that cuts off my abiliy to watch NFL games during the playoffs! @FOXTV
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In this day and age, it seems like a way of life that programmers and their distributors can't get along. Unless you're an Xfinity Customer (who seems to never have this issue, and simply jacks up a user's rate when a company wants more $$) blackouts are more and more common.

This thread is meant to be a place to notify other users of impending blackouts, their status, and if they've been resolved, or on their way to being resolved.

...and Meredith is another company that is having issues with AT&T, and by what is being circulated out there, could do the same any second now.

As a DirecTV customer who gets one of their stations (WALA), this one came out of the blue. My only notification was reading about it in the trades, the "alert" channel popping up on 10-1, and a brief popup on their website, and other Meredith-owned stations.

As of this posting, WALA is still up on DirecTV and there is no mention of any dispute and/or resolution to the matter.

• Like 2

The Dispatch stations have been off of Directv and AT&T for almost a month...

The last major retransmission squabble between Dispatch and a major provider was in 2000... between them and Time Warner. Time Warner refused to carry ONN in the Columbus market, so if I recall correctly, Dispatch briefly pulled WBNS until ONN was carried.

No mention of a resolution thus far.

It looks like Meredith has reached a deal with DirecTV (and UVerse)

https://tvanswerman.com/2017/09/22/does-directv-have-a-deal-with-merediths-17-local-stations/

This is the most vague and under-the-radar retransmission squabble yet. Meredith has done a poor job keeping viewers informed from the short notice to the lack of warnings on-air and online.

Meanwhile, Raycom is still kicking the can with AT&T. Now they are on good terms until the 27th at 8pm ET.

http://www.ourlocalcommitment.com/woio-wuab/

I've seen crawls on both WDAM and WLOX OTA. At least they're making an effort to keep viewers informed.