WPEC getting new set?

LivefromNewYork

Earlier in the month CBS 12 opened their 'Hurricane Answer Center' in presumably their news facilities. (reporters were seen in the center and main studio minutes apart) The 'Hurricane Answer Center', as displayed in the below FaceBook live video, shows a large monitor configuration with modern finishes.

WPEC is the CBS affiliate for West Palm Beach Fl, owned by Sinclair.

Their set, as it is today, via Newscaststudio.

• 10 months later...

[MEDIA=twitter]1029295269563834368[/MEDIA] Apparently the studio above ( and set parts) were home to ASN (American Sports Network), Sinclair's attempt of a sports network. It was headquartered in West Palm, next to the news building of WPEC. Per morning achor Suzanne Boyd, CBS 12 will use the ASN set as a temporary set until a new old is built.

Hadn't they had that old set since their HD launch a decade ago?

Yes, they have had it since 2008. Some updates have been added such as this dreadful corner:

[GALLERY=media, 1073]Cbs 12 by LivefromNewYork posted Aug 14, 2018 at 6:58 PM[/GALLERY]

And some updated blocking.The entirety of the 3:00 pm broadcast is done from this position which is standing in front of the desk:

[GALLERY=media, 1074]Suzane by LivefromNewYork posted Aug 14, 2018 at 6:58 PM[/GALLERY]

Hadn't they had that old set since their HD launch a decade ago?

They had two HD news sets with a shared weather center. One side of the studio was for WPEC's newscasts while the other was for WFLX's newscasts right before WPTV took over.

[MEDIA=twitter]1029295269563834368[/MEDIA] Apparently the studio above ( and set parts) were home to ASN (American Sports Network), Sinclair's attempt of a sports network. It was headquartered in West Palm, next to the news building of WPEC. Per morning achor Suzanne Boyd, CBS 12 will use the ASN set as a temporary set until a new old is built.

Hell if they were smart, they'd use a good portion of this set or even this whole set as their set. It's very elaborate and very modern, very nice for a temp set. I'm sure this is miles better than whatever crap Sinclair is going to give them.

Hell if they were smart, they'd use a good portion of this set or even this whole set as their set. It's very elaborate and very modern, very nice for a temp set. I'm sure this is miles better than whatever crap Sinclair is going to give them.

I agree. It's a decent set for the market. Just do a KDKA and build around the temporary set.

b516799b-a5c4-4b1b-874c-bb52464efbd6-large16x9_Studio?1481622958724

Unless it's as good as KOMO's, they should just keep this (but maybe with a different desk). They made it work.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
7 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

do they do the news from the weather center or something? that desk is always there. or is it the whole set? i'm so confused.

No there’s two desk if you noticed the main anchor desk curved out towards the cameras on the front. While weather’s is curved in towards the monitors

Can we talk about how they are using elements of the new graphics package in the background of anchors but have not fully debuted the package? I bet once they do, all of it will come together. 

Archived