NBC is launching Telemundo Washington

CircleSeven

The Washington Business Journal states that NBC is acquiring the Telemundo affiliation in DC from ZGS.

NBC and ZGS have an affiliation agreement, and the spectrum sale triggered a clause that allows NBC to fold the Telemundo affiliation back into the company.

Jackie Bradford, president and general manager of NBC4/WRC, the Washington-area station owned by NBC, announced the move in a Sept. 6 memo to staff, saying the "project will expand NBC Washington news staff with a new team of Spanish-speaking and bilingual journalists to launch the new station. Both news teams will serve Spanish- and English-speaking viewers in the greater Washington, D.C. region.”

The new station will operate from the larger media company’s Nebraska Avenue NW studios, Bradford said in the memo. WRC-TV is, in turn, owned by NBCUniversal.

The Media Moves piece says they're launching in December.

I thought NBC said they have outgrown the Nebraska building and was going to move. Where is the studio gonna go for Telemundo.

Granted I thought I heard about them moving 2 years ago by now

I thought NBC said they have outgrown the Nebraska building and was going to move. Where is the studio gonna go for Telemundo.

Same thought came into my mind as well. If anything they could use the old Hardball MSNBC studio, or if Meet The Press ever goes to the new capitol studios, they could use that one.

The Spanish-speaking market is doing very well, so it's no surprise that NBC is investing heavily into Telemundo/O&O's. Does ZGS have their own news operation? Will the ZGS operation fold into NBC's outlet? and will it be on WRC's digital subchannel?

Another example of the network's business model of "we want to run our own operations in large markets" — see Telemundo 20 San Diego and NBC Boston.

The case here was that ZGS sold their spectrum, probably elected to take the money and run - rather than channel share.

The Spanish-speaking market is doing very well, so it's no surprise that NBC is investing heavily into Telemundo/O&O's. Does ZGS have their own news operation? Will the ZGS operation fold into NBC's outlet? and will it be on WRC's digital subchannel?

They have a small news operation. Just 6 & 11 PM newscasts.

Having trouble editing my previous post.

I believe the article said that they were renovating the studio. I think they have the old MTP studio that's now used for Its Academic.

Correction, per the FCC Website, Telemundo Washington WZDC is set to go off air but has a post auction CSA (and they have yet to post any CSA agreement).

There are a couple reasons off the top of my head:

• ZGS just decided to take the $66 million and throw in the towel after the auction.
  • ZGS couldn't find an adequete channel share partner or they were requesting too much money.
  • ZGS' affiliation agreement was up.
  • NBCUni is exercising a clause that's based on the change of the licensed facility (transmitter location, power, frequency).
  • NBCUni wanted to bring it in house for monetary reasons.
  • Telemundo was unhappy about the performance of the station (including it being on low power and limited news output) and pushed NBC Owned Television Stations to take it on.

Quite frankly it wouldn't surprise me if all six played into consideration.

NBC or ZGS will have to get it all into gear quickly. Because once ZGS takes the cash the clocks ticking to channel share or go off air.

Regarding studio space I realize that in addition to the studio used for It's Academic they have the complete other side of the current Meet The Press studio. From what I've seen it's quite big - enough that at one point there were several ping pong tables with plenty of room to spare (I think I saw bleachers with the ping pong tables). Now that would clash with MTP Daily unless they move with the rest of MSNBC's output to their W. Capitol Hill studios.

Trouble editing the previous post. But here's a quote given to Media Moves by a Telemundo Station Group spokesman:

ZGS gave up its spectrum for the Washington, D.C. market earlier this year in the auction which gave us the ability to take back the Telemundo affiliation for this market.

Regarding studio space I realize that in addition to the studio used for It's Academic they have the complete other side of the current Meet The Press studio. From what I've seen it's quite big - enough that at one point there were several ping pong tables with plenty of room to spare (I think I saw bleachers with the ping pong tables). Now that would clash with MTP Daily unless they move with the rest of MSNBC's output to their W. Capitol Hill studios.

A lot of us are going to miss those late night beer pong games at NBC DC.

I never knew a ping pong ball could get lodged in so many places on a human.

Russert would be so upset at the loss of a tradition.

Did Sen. Hatch Utah® ever get his trouser back?

This will probably be in the old Hardball studio. I am told there is additional construction taking place in the facility to prepare for the new output. I think there's almost no chance they will share the MTP studio since that would completely eliminate their ability to do any sort of live Sunday morning programming in the future.

I've heard the opposite. I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle: The building is too old and not designed well for it's current use.

From what I see on RabbitEars, with the addition in Telemundo on WRC, this will only leave Connecticut as the only market with an NBC O&O what does not have a companion Telemundo O&O. On that front, ZGS has apparently sold its Hartford license, WRDM-CD in the auction, which could mean that Telemundo Connecticut could probably move to WVIT.

Since we're on the subject of NBC & Telemundo O&O Stations, could we put KPNX, KUSA, KVOA, KSEE, KSNV, KPRC, KVEO, and WOAI on notice. These are NBC affiliates in markets where NBCU has a license for the Telemundo station, but the NBC station is owned by someone else, Tenga (2), Sinclair (2), Nexstar (2), with Graham & Cordillera (1 each) that could be in jeopardy of losing their NBC affiliation should 30 Rock look for another O&O.

You'll never see that, at least in AZ.

The Spanish-language news market in Arizona is very, very different from the English-language market, as aside from separate advertising, the Phoenix and Tucson DMAs are effectively combined (both markets receive a common news product). This has been the case ever since KTVW signed on in September 1979 and immediately built a Tucson translator; both KTVW and KTAZ maintain high-power semi-satellites.

Even KPAZ, the first UHF in the state which signed on in 1967 with a SIN affiliation*, planned at one point to begin simulcasting in Tucson. It's been a "double Hispanic DMA" the whole way.

Additionally, there are some caveats:

-In Fresno, NBCU has long handed off operation of KNSO to a partner. This used to be ZGS, but it's now Serestar Communications. Serestar is headed by Philip Wilkinson, who came from Entravision. With ZGS cashing in on spectrum in several markets, Serestar's relative importance to Telemundo grows.

-Some of the markets would be very difficult to run NBC affiliates, let alone O&Os. The Rio Grande Valley market is an example. An "NBC RGV" would not work. It would also have signal problems in the lower Valley, judging by all the complaints I've heard about KTLM not being receivable in Matamoros.

*I will be posting, somewhere (not sure yet), a profile of this station on Saturday to commemorate its 50th anniversary. While it's been 40 years since TBN bought them and returned them to air, their first decade on air was classic UHF turbulence.

Since we're on the subject of NBC & Telemundo O&O Stations, could we put KPNX, KUSA, KVOA, KSEE, KSNV, KPRC, KVEO, and WOAI on notice. These are NBC affiliates in markets where NBCU has a license for the Telemundo station, but the NBC station is owned by someone else, Tenga (2), Sinclair (2), Nexstar (2), with Graham & Cordillera (1 each) that could be in jeopardy of losing their NBC affiliation should 30 Rock look for another O&O.

Just because NBC happens to own a Telemundo O&O there doesn't mean they want or need an English-language sister. As Raymie mentioned, Arizona is a completely different ballgame on either side of the language barrier. If NBC wanted an O&O in Denver again, they'd probably just buy KUSA. 30 Rock has no justification for O&Os in Fresno, Las Vegas or San Antonio. In Houston they'd be shooting themselves in the foot moving to anything that isn't 11. And last but not least, the RGV market is too small to justify an English O&O (and barely supports the affiliate there as is).

Just because NBC happens to own a Telemundo O&O there doesn't mean they want or need an English-language sister. As Raymie mentioned, Arizona is a completely different ballgame on either side of the language barrier. If NBC wanted an O&O in Denver again, they'd probably just buy KUSA. 30 Rock has no justification for O&Os in Fresno, Las Vegas or San Antonio. In Houston they'd be shooting themselves in the foot moving to anything that isn't 11. And last but not least, the RGV market is too small to justify an English O&O (and barely supports the affiliate there as is).

Shall I list again what syndicated shows said RGV affiliate carried before someone put at least a news simulcast on that station. Jk. Different thread, different thread.

In all seriousness though, NBC would really have no business with an O&O in that region. Heck, they really wouldn't be in Boston if it weren't for NECN and WNEU.

I would understand Houston, Atlanta, Denver and Charlotte. NBC has bureaus in those markets. Atlanta and Denver would come with duopoly partners that could easily be handed to someone else in that market if it came down to it as well as other factors from any of those markets that's for a different thread. If NBC did manage to land Denver (and Phoenix, which would be bundled in), Then I could see them wanting Las Vegas. Same with Houston. If they landed that, then I would understand them wanting San Antonio. That would give them regional clusters in those respective areas in large cities.

However, RGV is not justifiable for NBC. Telemundo has an O&O there because obviously, the spanish-speaking population is high enough to warrant Telemundo/NBC wanting an O&O there. Same with most of the other markets where Telemundo has an O&O but NBC doesn't.

What happened in Boston was Comcast capitalizing on their heavy cable penetration, a regional news network, a RSN, and a Telemundo O&O. San Diego was the only major market in California in which Comcast didn't have an NBC/Telemundo duopoly.

And - likely more important here - Washington is the start of a string of concurrent NBC/T O&O duopolies alongside the so-called "Northeast Megalopolis." (One notable exception? WVIT, which has TeleXitos on their 30.3 sub, but not Telemundo proper.)

In Denver, I thought KDEN partnered with KUSA - KUSA providing the news product for the station...

Guess I need to record a couple "last" WZDC newscasts...

J

From the station entry on Wikipedia: " In June 2015 KDEN moved to new studios at the Comcast media center in Centennial, Colorado from facility's located in Aurora & KUSA's information center." So as far as I know, the news is out of the Centennial facility.

I just remember when KUSA went to "This is Home", KDEN went with the Gannett graphics (but the Telemundo theme). Just found the newscast: "Noticiero Denver En Associación Con 9NEWS(Peacock)"

The bug in the lower right was "9NEWS(Peacock) EN ESPAÑOL". This was back in 2013...

Jim

• 1 month later...

Archived