End of an Era: FOX News Channel Dropping Its Spinning Logo Cube

Big Country News

Fun fact: according to Joe Muto's book "An Atheist in the Foxhole," the Fox News logo would spin because the static logo from the late 90s and very early 2000s was burning into people's screens because of how much they watched it (back when tube TVs and early flat screens had those issues).

Let's look at it again:

fox-news-new-graphics.jpg

Remember that Fox's CSD was among the people ousted with Bill Shine back in April. I cannot help but think that played a part in the rather decent execution here.

Now, eliminate the rampant - and unnecessary - usage of L3s and the show logos, and the rather insipid "BREAKING TONIGHT" loop... and that will be a major improvement.

Fun fact: according to Joe Muto's book "An Atheist in the Foxhole," the Fox News logo would spin because the static logo from the late 90s and very early 2000s was burning into people's screens because of how much they watched it (back when tube TVs and early flat screens had those issues).

Everyone at CNN and MTV knew that going back to the 80's when the tube projection screens would burn in. To this day there are still old 4:3 tube monitors with the old CNN bug burned it in use in Atlanta.

The old CNN engineers always had a few tainted tubes stashed at home for "friends" and co-workers.

Everyone at CNN and MTV knew that going back to the 80's when the tube projection screens would burn in. To this day there are still old 4:3 tube monitors with the old CNN bug burned it in use in Atlanta.

The old CNN engineers always had a few tainted tubes stashed at home for "friends" and co-workers.

Lol, in that case, at least Fox News was courteous enough to try to avoid that. Though surely their logo burning into people's screens would be the ultimate form of advertising. Every time you change the channel, you'd never forget Fox News!

I like the way they seriously modernized and cleaned up the Fox News look while also keeping it very familiar.

Everything is still positioned pretty much where it was before the change. The "channel" in the logo still says "LIVE" and the time. The show title is still below the rest of the lower-third. But it all just looks cleaner. I feel like they wanted to go more like Sky News and borrowed some elements from CBS This Morning, especially near the ticker.

If it were up to me, I'd move the clock below the bug as part of the ticker and let the "channel" and "LIVE" section remain part of the bug. (I don't like how the "live" isn't always on the screen when it's live.)

Fox News always seemed to have a very amateur and cartoonish look. It's not a surprise that a longtime Fox Business artist finally matured the Fox News look.

Archived