Hurricane Irma Megathread

TriangleTriadMediaNews

Sunday in NYC: (Watching between 8a-10a and 4p-6p)

WNJU simulcasted sister station WSCV in the morning before switching to national coverage of Irma in the afternoon.

WXTV aired national coverage with Jorge Ramos in the morning before airing normal network programming however WXTV locally broke in to cover the Pope's visit to Colombia for a hour before returning back to normal network programming.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WESH stopped their non stop coverage at 6:30 for NN. Don't knot know if it was started up again after NN. Too bad they suffered some damage! Thank God it wasn't right over the brand new set! Which begs the question: Where are news sets usually placed in buildings? In the strongest part of the building? I know WISN's is right off the lobby, TMJ4's is in the back of the building.

As for Coverage WESH, WFTV WKMG were top notch for me , Didn't think to look at Fox 35. LOVING that News 13's Stream(As well as Bay News 9) is open to everyone! Love News 13 everytime i come to FL! Had awesome music in the early 2000's. Anyone think they'll keep it open to everyone if they get enough good responses?

So glad for the tons of coverage TWC's been putting out since the Eclipse! I wonder how long that will continue.....I'd wish they realize that they don't need longform!

WeatherNation's been great too!

I love News 13. I've been watching The Weather Channel alot as well.

Oh... and you'll be surprised to hear this... WJXT did three more hours of coverage so they must have been on-air from yesterday after coming back from CNN until tonight at 11:35 p.m.

UPDATE: WJXT has FINALLY gone off Hurricane Irma coverage after days! They just got off at midnight after providing continuing coverage for two straight days (besides the CNN overnight simulcast leading to Sunday morning). First program on-air since the coverage started at 12:00 noon Saturday was 2 Broke Girls.

Are any stations still doing coverage? Or have they all returned to regular programming?

News 13 Orlando was still open to everyone this morning. I hope that continues!

WESH went off at the normal time this morning.

On the Atlanta side:

WSB, WAGA, and WXIA had Irma coverage all afternoon Monday; WGCL stuck with regular programming but had half-hourly updates.

Overall, I thought 11Alive was best; they even had a Twitter scroll at the bottom of the screen...something that the other stations should think about utilizing next time.

The race is on to get a solid sat signal out of Key West.

You can't drive in a sat truck yet...

So that leaves pups (portable uplinks sat).

You gotta fly it in...or by boat. Including crew,power,food etc...

Who will be first?

Update..CNN at Big Pine Key with cellular that is failing.

WJXT expanded its 11pm news just for tonight for after Irma coverage. They did the same thing at 4pm. So they ran three hours from 4-7pm plus 10pm-12midnight.

I wish WJXT can finally go to 4:30pm too since running Inside Edition twice a day, three hours apart, is just ridiculous.

News 13 Orlando was still open to everyone this morning. I hope that continues!

WESH went off at the normal time this morning.

I think the plan for News 13 is to keep the coverage going for free until all the power and cable outages are repaired. But I agree, they have done a pretty good job covering the local aftermath of Irma.

How did those stations in the cone fare?

Did OTA stay on the air...or was it the live streaming everyone depended on?

I think all of the TV stations in Ft. Myers managed to stay on the air. I've found nothing that said otherwise. Radio was a different story.

http://www.news-press.com/story/news/2017/09/12/irma-aftermath-radio-stations-slowly-go-air-again-fort-myers-cape-coral-area/658702001/

Even radio stations in Miami got knocked off the air. The TV stations did fine.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article172894841.html

[QUOTE="Eat News, post: 189601, member: 2985"]The race is on to get a solid sat signal out of Key West. You can't drive in a sat truck yet... So that leaves pups (portable uplinks sat). You gotta fly it in...or by boat. Including crew,power,food etc... Who will be first?[/QUOTE] I realize it's not Key West but NBCs Gadi Schwartz got as far as Cudjoe Key (20 miles from Key West) was live on Nightly and did a phoner on The 11th Hour from Key West. Cudjoe was where Irma made impact. Gadi said there's spotty cell phone service in Key West. But per Snapchat (rarely use it - no one I know uses it but checked out the NBCNews show) they have one of their sprinter sat trucks. Think they would of got further but appears they got a flat (that was filled with a tank of oxygen from a scuba tank). The few that remained fed them steak and lobster. CBS was did a package from Ram Rod Key (No jokes @Eat News) just east of Cudjoe. No clue about ABC.

[quote name='rkolsen']I realize it's not Key West but NBCs Gadi Schwartz got as far as Cudjoe Key (20 miles from Key West) was live on Nightly and did a phoner on The 11th Hour from Key West. Cudjoe was where Irma made impact. Gadi said there's spotty cell phone service in Key West. But per Snapchat (rarely use it - no one I know uses it but checked out the NBCNews show) they have one of their sprinter sat trucks. Think they would of got further but appears they got a flat (that was filled with a tank of oxygen from a scuba tank). The few that remained fed them steak and lobster. CBS was did a package from Ram Rod Key (No jokes @Eat News) just east of Cudjoe. No clue about ABC.[/QUOTE] The trophy is Key West...Mile Marker 01... And that lobster joke is gonna cost you one Maddow jab...and there better be video of that scuba tank filling that tire...cuz I saw Mythbusters...and the original Sea Hunt. Mile Marker 01... Live sat.... Do you know how many people are working on that right now? A crappy bonded cell shot don't count...and FEMA should kill you if you use those resources for your BS liveshots. And don't forget that it's worse than a 3rd world country.....nothing works...period. How would you get that pup in there RKO? By land? By air? By sea???

Apparently WFTX evacuated to WFTS in Tampa late Friday/ early Saturday.

Thanks for sharing. That explains why there's been a WFTX program feed uplinked to satellite since Saturday. The transmitter is probably being fed with the satellite feed, similar to the KHOU situation. Probably also explains the virtual set WFTX newscasts have been using.

The trophy is Key West...Mile Marker 01...

And that lobster joke is gonna cost you one Maddow jab...and there better be video of that scuba tank filling that tire...cuz I saw Mythbusters...and the original Sea Hunt.

Mile Marker 01...

Live sat....

Do you know how many people are working on that right now?

A crappy bonded cell shot don't count...and FEMA should kill you if you use those resources for your BS liveshots.

And don't forget that it's worse than a 3rd world country.....nothing works...period.

How would you get that pup in there RKO?

By land?

By air?

By sea???

I'd get the PUP or fly pack there by helicopter. The small satellites fit into one suit case case.

The dinner:

IMG_8903.thumb.PNG.b1cee834d75f4cc96661bf3556a91404.PNG

The scuba tank:

IMG_8900.thumb.PNG.c33f98e79eb087c538d315d769326d56.PNG

I'd get the PUP or fly pack there by helicopter. The small satellites fit into one suit case case.

The dinner:

[ATTACH=full]4487[/ATTACH]

The scuba tank:

[ATTACH=full]4488[/ATTACH]

Ok...

That's pretty cool!

I don't even think AquaMan had an adaptor for that....so that's badass....

Race to Mile 01...

Where you gonna find an available helo right now within 1000 miles of the gulf? All the helos that hold that much gear are assigned to oil support companies...and they are booked right now. Skyforce 7 may be able to ferry a reporter and some granola bars. You have to stay for a while. maybe even establish a bureau so you OWN the story for the next few weeks...

The military may set up an uplink...but you will need to embed and play by those rules....and you don't control nuttin.

You could charter a fishing boat...if you can find one that didn't sink....so you charter out of Pensacola or Mobile, make a big Costco run...and head to the Key Largo harbor(1-2 days) and live off the boat and set-up at the harbor. You can rent a car from somebody with cash. Once you get an open highway you can re-supply by land.

The networks used to have flyaway packs/pups ready to deploy for stuff like this. Hell CBS had a Humvee with Bob Simon that raced across the iraq desert (he lost) during Desert Storm.

Dude...

I think we are screwed,,,

I don't think you can find a KU pac available anywhere near the south. They all got rented for Harvey to keep KHOU and other stations patched together.

Ok....

Gimme a barge...a KU-KA sprinter van...2 generators...and 2 small RV's with all kinds of food and water...

...and some Booze and Guns....

To control the wild Parrot Heads.

Cheese Burger in Paradise?

Welp, it wasn't WSVN that got damaged by Irma, but it's long-ago radio sister and next-door neighbor, WIOD/600.

WIOD's studios now reside with the rest of the iHeart Miami cluster, with their former studios still serving as their transmission site. That got damaged somehow (with no specifics in the linked article) and WIOD is temporarily running their programming off of sister station WINZ/940.

Welp, it wasn't WSVN that got damaged by Irma, but it's long-ago radio sister and next-door neighbor, WIOD/600.

WIOD's studios now reside with the rest of the iHeart Miami cluster, with their former studios still serving as their transmission site. That got damaged somehow (with no specifics in the linked article) and WIOD is temporarily running their programming off of sister station WINZ/940.

That must've been what they got for ticking off WTVJ.

[MEDIA=twitter]906678835399282689[/MEDIA]

Since ev1 is putting up how Stations all across the US handled storm coverage look at this picture, This was taken this Sunday of 2 NBC Stations in Western Pennsylvania at 12 PM. WPXI [Cox owned] on the left and WJAC [sinclair Owned] on the right. As you can see, WPXI airs the NBC News Special Report while WJAC was airing a Sinclair must run? Sinclair Cares? Yeah Right.

[MEDIA=twitter]906919309414486017906919309414486017[/MEDIA]

I'm not surprised at how the ratings turned out to be in Miami for Irma coverage.

As usual, WSVN finished #1, followed by WPLG at #2, WTVJ #3 and no surprise here either... WFOR at #4. Look at A35-64... WSVN got 114K... 114K! That's numbers that other local stations die for!

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/marketshare/2017/09/13/miamis-wsvn-leading-news-source-during-irma/

I'm not surprised at how the ratings turned out to be in Miami for Irma coverage.

As usual, WSVN finished #1, followed by WPLG at #2, WTVJ #3 and no surprise here either... WFOR at #4. Look at A35-64... WSVN got 114K... 114K! That's numbers that other local stations die for!

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/marketshare/2017/09/13/miamis-wsvn-leading-news-source-during-irma/

I watched WSVN a lot since it was on the Severe Weather Channel on Uverse/Directv. They did a really good job and didn't do their standard "hype the living daylights out of everything" approch that they usually take towards news.

Since ev1 is putting up how Stations all across the US handled storm coverage look at this picture, This was taken this Sunday of 2 NBC Stations in Western Pennsylvania at 12 PM. WPXI [Cox owned] on the left and WJAC [sinclair Owned] on the right. As you can see, WPXI airs the NBC News Special Report while WJAC was airing a Sinclair must run? Sinclair Cares? Yeah Right.

[MEDIA=twitter]906919309414486017906919309414486017[/MEDIA]

aren't most nbc SRs optinal nowadays?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived