Hurricane Irma Megathread

TriangleTriadMediaNews

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why not WPEC? At least they are a CBS affiliate.

I betcha it's a dollars-and-cents move because Sinclair.

WPEC was on WNBW from 2:00am earlier this morning until 4:00pm this afternoon. They took up the first hour of WJLA before moving it to WGFL. Afterwards, WNBW went straight to NBC's SR.

Gainesville update at 7:00pm.

WUFT is status quo.

WGFL is still doing WJLA.

WCJB is on hourly updates.

WNBW is airing NBC Sports' Football Night in America.

WOGX is still simulcasting WOFL.

WJXT is status quo.

DirecTV just ran one of WCJB's updates on their storm channel (and likely on UVerse too)...

It's likely they'll tap into coverage from WCTV and Gray's stations in Panama City and Dothan.

Surprised that WPEC has been a no-show, especially since WOAI/KABB and KBTV/KFDM were prominent in coverage of Harvey. West Palm is the only market that has two of their stations being used thus far...

DirecTV just ran one of WCJB's updates on their storm channel (and likely on UVerse too)...

It's likely they'll tap into coverage from WCTV and Gray's stations in Panama City and Dothan.

Surprised that WPEC has been a no-show, especially since WOAI/KABB and KBTV/KFDM were prominent in coverage of Harvey. West Palm is the only market that has two of their stations being used thus far...

It is on U-Verse too

It's likely they'll tap into coverage from WCTV and Gray's stations in Panama City and Dothan

I find it interesting because they used WPEC quite a bit during Matthew last year.

And watching WFTX just makes me realize how much more Scripps needs to invest in that station if they want any shot with competing against WINK and WBBH.

NBC will simulcast MSNBC overnight from 1am to 6am. Then Today will air from 6am through 10am (except in NY, where they will be airing the 9/11 reading of the names beginning at 8:30am.)

[MEDIA=twitter]906998240876384257[/MEDIA]

Since when did Today start at 6? I usually watch local news at that time.

NBC will simulcast MSNBC overnight from 1am to 6am. Then Today will air from 6am through 10am (except in NY, where they will be airing the 9/11 reading of the names beginning at 8:30am.)

[MEDIA=twitter]906998240876384257[/MEDIA]

That has to be a first, to run for 12 hours...

Gainesville update as of 11:00 p.m.

WCJB has just announced that starting at midnight, they'll be doing rolling wall-to-wall coverage no matter what. Finally! Plus, Paige Beck and David Snyder are finally anchoring tonight at 11:00 p.m. but Carla Bayron anchored at 6:00 p.m.

WUFT is status quo.

WGFL is still airing WJLA.

WNBW is still airing NBC Sports even though it will air MSNBC on NBC starting at 1:00 a.m.

WOGX is status quo even though I lost their signal.

WJXT is status quo.

Rush Limbaugh, is that you?

Seriously dude, NO ONE on this site cares where you live, or what you deem is 'blown out of proportion.' The fact that people's lives are in danger is reason enough to err on the side of caution.

This is NOT a story that deserves national live coverage. The hurricane was a dud. The irresponsible coverage itself is now the cause of looting statewide. Which has now become the main story.

You're pretty dense. I hope you don't work in broadcasting.

It's funny because Rush was forced to evacuate by the authorities** after telling his 65-dead angry male WASP audience that Irma was effectively made up to advance a climate change agenda. And urged his listeners not to leave.

**Spearheaded, no less, by Florida Governor Rick Scott, who is a known climate change denier and ultra-hardline conservative... even HE knew this storm was goddam serious.

But it wasn't. You put bad information in, you get bad information out. Now, it's looters paradise.

The Weather Channel hyped this story like it was the end of the world...and did nothing but scare people for no reason.

It's more than time zones though because for west coast NBC affiliates, the Today show is available at 3am tomorrow. From what I see, they'll take MSNBC until 3am, the Today show from 3am until local news, then the Today show as usual at 7am.

Make whatever of that what you will. Not sure if it's really "the Today show" so much as it is rolling network coverage, but some sort of Today-branded show is available an hour earlier at 6am ET.

The irresponsible coverage itself is now the cause of looting statewide. Which has now become the main story.

This is NOT a story that deserves national live coverage. The hurricane was a dud. The irresponsible coverage itself is now the cause of looting statewide. Which has now become the main story.

You're pretty annoying, and I hope YOU don't work in broadcasting. You're probably that guy that calls or writes on station FB pages complaining about anything and everything because it doesn't resemble Mayberry. I almost sense this is true, based on your continuous rehashing of the looting stories that were not widespread, but were few and far between.

And coming from someone in LA... you guys complain over a 1" an hour rainstorm, sooooo.... I think your opinion is probably out of whack.

You'er overblown.

You're full of sh*t. You must work in broadcasting.

To tie in 'irresponsible [news] coverage' as the cause of looting statewide is completely asinine.

Whether you believe this hurricane coverage deserves national live coverage, is irrelevant. The day that you run a news network, answer to your bosses, shareholders and viewers, then you can make the decision to extensively cover a news event--or not.

In the meantime, if you have nothing of substance to add to this thread, then please leave. Many of us are tired of reading your ignorant remarks that have nothing to do with the topic being discussed.

You're pretty annoying, and I hope YOU don't work in broadcasting. You're probably that guy that calls or writes on station FB pages complaining about anything and everything because it doesn't resemble Mayberry. I almost sense this is true, based on your continuous rehashing of the looting stories that were not widespread, but were few and far between.

And coming from someone in LA... you guys complain over a 1" an hour rainstorm, sooooo.... I think your opinion is probably out of whack.

You'er overblown.

This is what a "dud" looks like.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article172503266.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article172495761.html

KeynoterPhoto

Florida was very "lucky" that the storm made landfall at Marco Island (bottom of the peninsula) and moved up the state inland so it was able to weaken to a Catagory 2 instead of hugging along the coast and probably still stay at a Catagory 4.

Unfortunately the Keys weren't as lucky (as shown in the pic above). We probably won't have a full picture of what has happened there for a few days as power is out across the entire chain of islands.

And for a guy complaining about "overblown" coverage, he sure seems fine overblowing the coverage regarding the looting in the state. Ft. Lauderdale police arrested a whopping total of 9 for looting in the city. The actual coverage is about the flooding and the massive number of power outages in the state.

Archived