Hurricane Irma Megathread

TriangleTriadMediaNews

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of the coverage in Tampa and Orlando is now focusing on the tornadic activity being spawned from Irma.

I'm beginning to get a nervous feeling that could wind up being even worse than the potentially devastating coastal surges.

we should take note that up to 2 million homes + businesses in FL are without power, as of this writing, with restoration that can take up to weeks. Hell, in Puerto Rico, it can take up to 6 months due to poor infrastructure in some areas, let alone poorer areas. Another sort of destruction a hurricane can bring.

A lot of the coverage in Tampa and Orlando is now focusing on the tornadic activity being spawned from Irma.

I'm beginning to get a nervous feeling that could wind up being even worse than the potentially devastating coastal surges.

The bands are starting to pick up here in Orlando.

Something to watch--WFLA's HQ is on the Hillsborough river, which is currently emptying out, and will likely rush back in once Irma passes. They are DANGEROUSLY close to the mouth of the bay if Tampa gets a significant storm surge.

Gainesville Update as of 1:50 p.m.

WUFT has been airing WRUF since a little after 4:00 a.m. this morning, basically a simulcast of its 24-hour weather channel with repeated pre-recorded updates.

WGFL is airing NFL Football so nothing.

WCJB is airing normal programming at the moment.

WNBW has been preempting programming for WPEC in West Palm Beach has it has been since 2:00 a.m.

WOGX, through WOFL, has been airing coverage since 12:00 midnight last night. (CURRENTLY: The GDO team has been handling it since 2:00 a.m. and Bob Frier and Amy Kaufeldt are currently there. I think Jayme King and Kristin Giannas are handling weather right now.) NFL Football is on WOGX 51.2, Cox 112.

WJXT: the real wild card because they went to CNN during the overnight hours so I'm not too sure when WJXT when back to producing its own coverage but my guess was either 6:00 or 7:00 a.m. this morning and have been on-air ever since. (CURRENTLY: Bruce Hamilton and Jennifer Waugh with Richard Nunn and Mark Collins.)

And for you to literally poo-poo coverage when peoples lives are at risk, including my family, than sir, there is a special word that ultimately describes you that can't be said on this board.
I stand behind every word I've posted. I was born, raised and live in Los Angeles, disaster capital of the world. This is deserving of nothing more than local coverage. And it was blown WAY out of proportion by local and national media. We invest billions in weather technology and get our pants beat off by ECMWF. That's more than shameful. That's criminal since so many did not need to leave their homes. Even insurance companies get better weather coverage which explains why stocks were up Friday and futures are up now.

People are so afraid of this storm they won't even go out and loot. Oh wait, WPLG shows looters live on tv... That's the extent of this storm.

WTSP is getting hammered on Facebook for not carrying football today....they cannot carry it on any of their subchannels due to evacuating their building.

There's Sunday Ticket...but does that apply to out-of-market games being aired in a distant market? And who honestly thinks the Browns are going to beat the Steelers?

Enjoying ABC's extended special report coverage. A benefit of not being contracted to sports, they've been on the air since 6am, including special editions of "Good Morning America" and "This Week".

Here in NYC, network coverage was only interrupted from 7-8am and 9-10a for WABC local news. The network has continued sending out one-hour special reports each hour since the live 11am special edition of "This Week" wrapped. WABC had been carrying it all in place of local programming. Some ABC stations are dropping out at different hours, based on the anchors' sign off occurring each hour.

Elizabeth Vargas and Dan Harris have since taken over for George Stephanopolous and the network is making good use of reporters from affiliates like WZVN and WPLG. Amy Freeze of WABC has been the in-studio meteorologist, relieving Ginger Zee for the afternoon.

As of 3:45pm, ABC News is taking a minute to regroup and airing WPLG's live coverage.

Gainesville update as of 4:00 p.m.

WUFT still delivering live coverage via WRUF. Earlier at 3:30 p.m., WUFT did its own coverage with reports from throughout the area but that lasted only 20 minutes.

WCJB is doing hourly updates with Bill Quinlan until the 6pm news hits and will more likely deliver hourly updates during primetime as well. They've been airing ABC News Hurricane Irma coverage since 3:00 p.m.

WNBW is still simulcasting WPEC from WPB. They're currently on-air with John Matthews, Jeff Berardelli, Chris Farrell and Michael Ehrenberg with BTS action from Lauren Olesky.

WOGX is still on-air with this hour covered by Charlies Billi, LuAnne Sorrell and Glenn Richards.

WJXT is still on-air and this hour is covered by Tom Wills, Mary Baer, John Gaughan and Rebecca Barry. In the last hour, it was Kent Justice and Joy Purdy with John and Rebecca plus a brief appearance from Jonathan Stacey. I believe Bruce Hamilton and Jennifer Waugh alongside Richard Nunn and Mark Collins were on all morning, even though at 2:00 p.m. it was Jen and Melanie Lawson.

I'll keep these updates going since I'm probably the only one here at the forum who lives within the small DMA #161 market.

UPDATE: As of 4:10pm, WJXT has gone back to CNN.

[ATTACH=full]4480[/ATTACH]

Thanks to WBBH and WZVN, here's that mashup of the west coast ABC O&O package and the previous NBC O&O package that nobody asked for.

Almost every industrial generator I've seen that's powering critical infrastructure runs on Diesel. Natural Gas is no good for big natural disasters like this where they might need to shut off service. I've done work for a school district where their main office building had a Diesel generator to keep the computer systems online, but at least one relatively new school had a Natural Gas generator just to keep the lights on should there be a random power outage. Different use cases.

There's sometimes a deal involved to prioritize getting diesel fuel from suppliers should a power outage be prolonged.

Studio lighting has traditionally not been on generator systems because traditional incandescent fixtures would rapidly drain UPS batteries and overload the generator as it spun up, though there may be a transfer switch to switch it to generator power after it's up and running

This is what WBBH viewers see

[MEDIA=imgur]3katBrd[/MEDIA]

iUOcV

this is what WZVN viewers see

[MEDIA=imgur]a/ZbtaN[/MEDIA]

ZbtaN

It appears that the only time the ABC graphics are shown is when the WZVN meteorologists take control of weather forecasting (because they are more familiar with that system). This is causing some mild annoyance as the WBBH and WZVN meteorologists have to keep mentioning to the control room what system they need put on screen.

I stand behind every word I've posted. I was born, raised and live in Los Angeles, disaster capital of the world. This is deserving of nothing more than local coverage. And it was blown WAY out of proportion by local and national media. We invest billions in weather technology and get our pants beat off by ECMWF. That's more than shameful. That's criminal since so many did not need to leave their homes. Even insurance companies get better weather coverage which explains why stocks were up Friday and futures are up now.

People are so afraid of this storm they won't even go out and loot. Oh wait, WPLG shows looters live on tv... That's the extent of this storm.

Rush Limbaugh, is that you?

Seriously dude, NO ONE on this site cares where you live, or what you deem is 'blown out of proportion.' The fact that people's lives are in danger is reason enough to err on the side of caution.

WUFT still delivering live coverage via WRUF. Earlier at 3:30 p.m., WUFT did its own coverage with reports from throughout the area but that lasted only 20 minutes.

WCJB is doing hourly updates with Bill Quinlan until the 6pm news hits and will more likely deliver hourly updates during primetime as well. They've been airing ABC News Hurricane Irma coverage since 3:00 p.m.

WNBW is still simulcasting WPEC from WPB. They're currently on-air with John Matthews, Jeff Berardelli, Chris Farrell and Michael Ehrenberg with BTS action from Lauren Olesky.

WOGX is still on-air with this hour covered by Charlies Billi, LuAnne Sorrell and Glenn Richards.

WJXT is still on-air and this hour is covered by Tom Wills, Mary Baer, John Gaughan and Rebecca Barry. In the last hour, it was Kent Justice and Joy Purdy with John and Rebecca plus a brief appearance from Jonathan Stacey. I believe Bruce Hamilton and Jennifer Waugh alongside Richard Nunn and Mark Collins were on all morning, even though at 2:00 p.m. it was Jen and Melanie Lawson.

I'll keep these updates going since I'm probably the only one here at the forum who lives within the small DMA #161 market.

UPDATE: 4:30pm, WJXT is back with their own live coverage. I guess CNN was temporary.

Rush Limbaugh, is that you?

Seriously dude, NO ONE on this site cares where you live, or what you deem is 'blown out of proportion.' The fact that people's lives are in danger is reason enough to err on the side of caution.

It's funny because Rush was forced to evacuate by the authorities** after telling his 65-dead angry male WASP audience that Irma was effectively made up to advance a climate change agenda. And urged his listeners not to leave.

**Spearheaded, no less, by Florida Governor Rick Scott, who is a known climate change denier and ultra-hardline conservative... even HE knew this storm was goddam serious.

5:00pm:

WUFT is status quo.

WGFL is now simulcasting WJLA-TV 7 out of Washington, D.C. and helping provide coverage too for WGFL since they don't do fully local news. They're done with NFL football which allows them to simulcast WJLA. For some reason tho, there's no audio coming out.

WCJB continuing to do hourly updates with Bill Quinlan. Also airing ABC News coverage.

WNBW now leaving WPEC and joining NBC News coverage with Lester Holt and Al Roker.

WOGX is status quo.

WJXT is status quo.

5:00pm:

WGFL is now simulcasting WJLA-TV 7 out of Washington, D.C. and helping provide coverage too for WGFL since they don't do fully local news. They're done with NFL football which allows them to simulcast WJLA. For some reason tho, there's no audio coming out.

WNBW now leaving WPEC and joining NBC News coverage with Lester Holt and Al Roker.

Blood really is thicker than water, isn't it... Very surprised at the choice of WJLA for the hookup.

Archived