Hurricane Irma Megathread

TriangleTriadMediaNews

The cone zone indicates where the eye of the storm can possibly go. The hurricane force winds extend 70 miles from the eye. Miami and Ft. Lauderdale will still get the rain and the wind. They're already have 25,000 without power there and the main part of the storm hasn't even arrived yet.
Big deal on the power outages. We've had more in Los Angeles recently without any weather at all. Miami has ridden out many Cat 1 storms. Miami is in a lot safer position right now than even Orlando. The landfall projection keeps moving north as the storm track moves west. Currently at Port Charlotte tomorrow night.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The cone zone indicates where the eye of the storm can possibly go. The hurricane force winds extend 70 miles from the eye. Miami and Ft. Lauderdale will still get the rain and the wind. They're already have 25,000 without power there and the main part of the storm hasn't even arrived yet.

So Broward county is under curfew at 4 pm and Miami will be under curfew at 7pm

So Broward county is under curfew at 4 pm and Miami will be under curfew at 7pm

Atlanta is going to have winds close to or as bad as Miami. They're going to be a lot worse off since they are not prepared.

What does a curfew do when they're telling the public that when winds get to 40 or 45 mph, they're (police, paramedics) not going to be on the road or responding to anyone?

For NBC, internal messaging indicates six hours of coverage 6 AM to Noon ET pre-empting MTP as special weekday edition of Today. Beyond that the notification is to anticipate multiple special reports during its sports programming of varying frequency/length depending on developments.

On ABC, it also has six hours of coverage 6 AM to Noon between a special GMA and two live editions of This Week. Beyond that is unknown but ABC is by far the lightest on Sunday in terms of sports committments with only one afternoon hour block for X Games.

From what I'm looking at the public message website. It says the 6,7,10&11 AM hour of Today are optional. The 8&9 are where Today and MTP usually are.

Miami is nearly out of the cone zone. It is not going to get any major impact now. It has dodged a bullet once again. If I were in Miami, and not in a flooding zone, I'd head home and ride out the storm there. If I was on the west coast or Keys, I would get out yesterday.

So, what Miami is getting can't be described as "major"? Oooookay.

So, what Miami is getting can't be described as "major"? Oooookay.

Honestly, compared to some of the dire warnings earlier this week, Miami will be relatively fine.

At this point I'd be more concerned about Ft. Myers and Tampa.

It's called overblown. And exactly why people won't listen to hurricane warnings in the future.

While I don't see this as "overblown"--Tampa's in for a world of hurt if Irma gets back to Cat4--I do unfortunately see that as the takeaway for the blue-collar family from Miami or WPB who had to sit in traffic for hours on end and miss days of pay for a storm evacuation that now probably wasn't absolutely necessary on Florida's east coast.

Better safe than sorry, always, but hey--at least SVN doesn't have to saddle up at the Plex Deck now.

Sadly, the future is not too far with Jose taking a similar path.

Jose will still be out to sea over a week from now. It's going to do a loop but may end up near the Bahamas late next weekend. Don't forget possibly Lee off of Africa which is being generated from the same African wave...

While I don't see this as "overblown"--Tampa's in for a world of hurt if Irma gets back to Cat4--I do unfortunately see that as the takeaway for the blue-collar family from Miami or WPB who had to sit in traffic for hours on end and miss days of pay for a storm evacuation that now probably wasn't absolutely necessary on Florida's east coast.

Better safe than sorry, always, but hey--at least SVN doesn't have to saddle up at the Plex Deck now.

I'm specifically posting about Miami. The media coverage has been way overblown and it isn't going to live up to its hype for that area. ECMWF has been the only forecast that has been ahead of the game. That's a pattern that has been going on for sometime now and not just with Irma. https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/09/us-forecast-models-have-been-pretty-terrible-during-hurricane-Irma/

I just saw CNN reporting from West Palm Beach about a high rise building under construction with a crane. It's a waste of time. Switch to the west coast. That's where the real winds are going to be. Even their own Atlanta studios will encounter higher winds than West Palm Beach.

This is probably going to be a Cat 5, again, at FL landfall.

if the games are being played, they will be on TV. This is the NFL we're talking about. You don't prempt football at the network level.

But given how an entire state is basically in rolling coverage on this Sunday, NFL's going to lose some major markets to local pre-emptions and ratings will likely suffer as a result.

It's going to be real interesting to see what the CBS and FOX affils in Florida do tomorrow -- WTVT is probably thanking their lucky stars the Bucs begin Week 1 on a Bye!

On ABC, it also has six hours of coverage 6 AM to Noon between a special GMA and two live editions of This Week. Beyond that is unknown but ABC is by far the lightest on Sunday in terms of sports committments with only one afternoon hour block for X Games.

They'll dump out of that pretty easily; it's just a condensed 'best-of' tape replay of the day's events. Don't expect that to air, and if it does, it'll go to WatchESPN; the affiliates will happily take hurricane coverage over taped extreme sports any day.

might CBS junk NFL entirely for rolling hurricane coverage?

The NFL wouldn't let them do that unless it became extraordinarily clear that football was inappropriate on this day, and you'll get the switchboard whiners. Best to air the games with heavy updates.

the 'overblown' situation reminded me of this week's AP article: https://apnews.com/d26c3bf9f58f4be699785540d865b08c/Nowhere-will-be-safe:-Can-scary-words-save-public-from-Irma

Can it be overblown? Yes. I mean it's FL (later GA + SC) that's getting a brunt, not much more states. Nonetheless, Storm surge still sucks, regardless of area or level of 'cats'. Wanna get flooded? Katrina if i'm not mistaken was Cat 3 when it made landfall in LA + MS, creating storm surge so destructive that we would historically know. The models article CalItalian2 pointed out is something else though. Wow. Another thing, despite PR messes (Goddell is. a. clown. PERIOD!) and troubling ratings, let it be known so that further questioning or debate ends early, NFL IS KING! STOP! Money is king, rule over fist, richer than God, yes I just said that. Plus, Week 1. Stations just have to deal sunday night into all of monday for extensive coverage.

So one incredible thing (news nerd wise) has come out of this storm... possibly the longest NBC Nightly News Close in over a decade! It was so long that the Mission finished early. 50 seconds! [MEDIA=twitter]906661842407378944[/MEDIA]

[ATTACH=full]4473[/ATTACH]

if the games are being played, they will be on TV. This is the NFL we're talking about. You don't prempt football at the network level.

The NFL reschedules games on their own accord. See 9/11. This is not a national calamity, however.

How many people are going to watch NFL games while riding out the storm in Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville or Miami? Who knows.

The NFL reschedules games on their own accord. See 9/11. This is not a national calamity, however.

How many people are going to watch NFL games while riding out the storm in Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville or Miami? Who knows.

More than you'd think, especially if it provides some sense of normalcy.

WJXT has been on-air since noon and yes, I have been watching since noon. (Remember, I now live in GNV and have WJXT via Cox Cable 19)

Here are the teams that they've been using since 12:00 Noon:

12:00-3:00 p.m. - Kent Justice, Staci Spanos, Richard Nunn and Mark Collins

3:00, 5:00, 7:00, 9:00 and 11:00 p.m. - Tarik Minor, Joy Purdy, John Gaughan and Rebecca Barry

4:00, 6:00, 8:00 and 10:00 p.m. (maybe midnight too?) - Tom Wills, Mary Baer, John Gaughan and Rebecca Barry

Today, it has been TMS from 6-10am, Paid Programming from 10am-12pm and non-stop coverage since noon.

I checked the listings and realized that WOGX simulcasted WOFL's special coverage of Irma from 5am-12pm but they also did an extra half-hour at noon before going to FOX Sports.

Archived