Hurricane Irma Megathread

TriangleTriadMediaNews

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

upload_2017-9-10_4-1-28.png.b00ff0d37e78fcd5950eb64457b2a3a3.png

Thanks to WBBH and WZVN, here's that mashup of the west coast ABC O&O package and the previous NBC O&O package that nobody asked for.

I asked in the shout box about power outages. I saw a few power surges that appeared quite frequently on WTVJ / WSCV with their lights going out.

Out of curiousity what's the most common source of generator fuel for stations diesel or natural gas? I'm trying to remember if natural gas service gets cut off during hurricanes.

Edit: It was just mentioned that WTVJ lost power.

Almost every industrial generator I've seen that's powering critical infrastructure runs on Diesel. Natural Gas is no good for big natural disasters like this where they might need to shut off service. I've done work for a school district where their main office building had a Diesel generator to keep the computer systems online, but at least one relatively new school had a Natural Gas generator just to keep the lights on should there be a random power outage. Different use cases.

There's sometimes a deal involved to prioritize getting diesel fuel from suppliers should a power outage be prolonged.

Studio lighting has traditionally not been on generator systems because traditional incandescent fixtures would rapidly drain UPS batteries and overload the generator as it spun up, though there may be a transfer switch to switch it to generator power after it's up and running

I figured something was up with WFTX and their Virtual set.

They may be even using a 4x3 SD camera because there was a shot where their chief meteorologist Derek Beasley walked into the shot and was partially shown walking in because of the 4x3 frame!

Speaking of Derek Beasley, it's a shame that WPMI let him walk....now we have to deal with the "antics" of Chris Dunn.

It appears the channels AT&T and DirecTV are using for their storm coverage channel are from Scripps, Hearst, and WSVN.

West Palm Beach is the only market I've seen thus far with more than one station being taken (WPTV and WPBF). Orlando has WESH, Tampa has WFTS, Ft. Myers has WFTX, and of course, Miami's WSVN.

I guess we'll see more as the storm moves up the coast...

The only network that hasn't broken into any programming is Fox. I'm sure they're pushing viewers to Fox News Channel due to their recent hits in viewership?

WFLD is doing their own Irma updates during NFL football today. Mark Strehl did an update after Fox Kickoff Sunday.

Please, don't be naive.

Winds never got close to 100 mph in Miami. Storm surge of up to 12 miles inland reported over and over on local Miami stations is 2 blocks at best. People outside walking dogs now. Even in Key West, a man on a bicycle. I saw more flooding in Los Angeles this past winter & it didn't receive national live coverage. Overblown coverage on steroids & this is why people will stay behind when there really is a bad hurricane.

I loved the chasing puddles in South Beach with WSVN reporter in tennis shoes overnight (and questioned by anchor if he was wearing tennis shoes). Ridiculous.

More importantly, Tampa's bays and rivers have been "sucked up" in preparation to come roaring back (and then some).

DJXxNSuXoAA1RbW.jpg

This is from Keith Cate at WFLA. Where are their headquarters? Right besides this river. Would there be a flood risk for them? (Obviously not as bad as KHOU, but still...)

Winds never got close to 100 mph in Miami. Storm surge of up to 12 miles inland reported over and over on local Miami stations is 2 blocks at best. People outside walking dogs now. Even in Key West, a man on a bicycle. I saw more flooding in Los Angeles this past winter & it didn't receive national live coverage. Overblown coverage on steroids & this is why people will stay behind when there really is a bad hurricane.

I loved the chasing puddles in South Beach with WSVN reporter in tennis shoes overnight (and questioned by anchor if he was wearing tennis shoes). Ridiculous.

What's ridiculous is reading a comment from someone who says this storm is overblown, even though it isn't half over yet. Curious, are you a meteorologist? Did you predict Tampa would be in the bullseye since the very beginning?

Given how much Scripps likes to centralize, I'm kind of surprised they didn't just do one statewide simulcast from WFTS using the field crews from WPTV and WFTX. All three are covering the same storm and all three are using the reporters and video from each other's markets to fill time anyways. If it's so dangerous that WFTX has to broadcast from some bunker studio then maybe you should just scrap the whole idea, let the studio crew stay home, and let another station better equipped to handle the legwork of running through weather maps over and over.

Also the legal ID in this case would come from the FOX "Splicer" system.

They were doing this in Houston during Harvey. ;)

Given the track of the storm, WPTV would have been the best place to central-cast, but we didn't know that two days ago.

It appears the channels AT&T and DirecTV are using for their storm coverage channel are from Scripps, Hearst, and WSVN.

West Palm Beach is the only market I've seen thus far with more than one station being taken (WPTV and WPBF). Orlando has WESH, Tampa has WFTS, Ft. Myers has WFTX, and of course, Miami's WSVN.

I guess we'll see more as the storm moves up the coast...

Been watching throughout the morning. WSVN and WPTV seem to be doing the smoothest job.

The storm is still in its early stages. They actually had a good segment on MSNBC saying that the storm surge effects won't be felt until a few hours after the storm. It's too soon to call this a bust.

Cosign, 1,000 times over.

Remember that the breaching of NOLA's levees didn't happen immediately but shortly before Katrina passed over. IIRC, most people initially thought the city dodged a bullet.

And for you to literally poo-poo coverage when peoples lives are at risk, including my family, than sir, there is a special word that ultimately describes you that can't be said on this board.

Cosign, 1,000 times over.

Remember that the breaching of NOLA's levees didn't happen immediately but shortly before Katrina passed over. IIRC, most people initially thought the city dodged a bullet.

Myron, that is correct. I think the levees actually breached the day after the storm passed IIRC

Archived