PIX 11 Overhauls Open, Music

ABC 7 Denver

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another new cut of their theme has been used on their traffic report segments

[MEDIA=vimeo]228697131[/MEDIA]

"Newsradio 880"? Gee, I wonder why they couldn't say the call letters. ;)

Reminds me of the commercials that KOMO 1000 used to run on KING and KIRO.

As far as the WPIX graphics, they are definitely an upgrade (although I do agree the color scheme is odd)

While the secondary choice of purple is unique and bold if not oddly different, this updated package is much better than the last, especially with the open.

Now they need to focus on having a better set

Ehhh, let's not push it right now; the set's not that old yet. A new desk is a better idea.

The new graphics look much more professional - I'm delighted the cartoon-style opens have gone.

Much easier to change the graphics than the set but, for what it's worth, I really hope they upgrade that too in the near future.

The new graphics look much more professional - I'm delighted the cartoon-style opens have gone.

Much easier to change the graphics than the set but, for what it's worth, I really hope they upgrade that too in the near future.

I'd take the music and graphics because the previous version was very cartoonish like you've mentioned. Glad they finally wanted what viewers (including myslef) have asked for. The station is maturing a lot.

• 3 months later...

Apologies for bumping the thread.

Can't believe this flew over our heads, but I'll like to point out WPIX is actually using two different logos now. (They pulled a WJZ in other words, haha)

The old one:

fca2485f1e82abd4505d39a98c4c4f5d.png

And the new one (sans the tagline):

61078955646197c4277e52552d83861a.png

The 'PIX' typeface was changed from Microgramma to a custom font. Though I'm pretty sure everyone's aware about the ribbon-like pattern in the circular outline, it appears it's in fact permanent (i.e. to be seen on TV, online, and what I presume to be on other outdoor applications eventually) - and not a single-case render that was once exclusive to intros and promos.

Plus the music

Can't believe this flew over our heads, but I'll like to point out WPIX is actually using two different logos now. (They pulled a WJZ in other words, haha)

The old one:

The 'PIX' typeface was changed from Microgramma to a custom font. Though I'm pretty sure everyone's aware about the ribbon-like pattern in the circular outline, it appears it's in fact permanent (i.e. to be seen on TV, online, and what I presume to be on other outdoor applications eventually) - and not a single-case render that was once exclusive to intros and promos.

The old one:

I was looking at the “P” and it kinda looks like Gotham but I’m not sure if it is.

I was looking at the “P” and it kinda looks like Gotham but I’m not sure if it is.

It's not Gotham. The lettering, especially the "P" as you noted, is more extruded inward in comparison.

I would guess it could be an extended variant of Akzidenz-Grotesk.

The I and X in PIX doesn't look like A-G to me.

You could be right. After inspecting it, the kerning of the "I" is off and the "X" is completely asymmetric to PIX's "X". It's definitely a custom typeface.

2b148456b290054c27fb55bc78280690.png

Though, I've played with it and I got some pretty close results.

972e607ba675674b447708295a2af0a8.png

Archived