ESPN new mic flags

Spring Rubber

With the start of college football season, ESPN rolled out their first major mic flag redesign since 2004 (Although they did have an ESPNHD variant in between). They have eliminated the full network name and opted for just an "E". (Are these graphics new, or has this already existed?)

4OWGwc2r.jpg

I really don't like it.

Using your app icon as a identifying logotype? No.

Using 1/4th of a well recognizable logo against a white backdrop? No.

Using a square outline graphic inside a square flag? Unacceptable.

Also, automatic 10 point deduction for ditching the long-time 'red line' aesthetic in the negative space.

ad8056eb39b17cc33808bd23d4322d6e.png

Shame.

I can't stand SportsCenter these days. Even the late night show, which used to be all about the highlights, has been turned into a talk-fest. To get actual highlights, you have to go to each individual sports' own network. During baseball season, Quick Pitch on MLB Network is what I watch in the 1am ET slot, not SportsCenter.

I really don't like it.

Using your app icon as a identifying logotype? No.

Using 1/4th of a well recognizable logo against a white backdrop? No.

Using a square outline graphic inside a square flag? Unacceptable.

Molly McGrath using said mic flag?

Very acceptable. Lol

Per NewscastStudio article which linked me to a Sports Business Daily article, the mic flags and similar promotions intended to run through labor day weekend, but may last longer. Sourcing included ESPN Senior VP/Production & Multimedia Integration Tina Thornton.

So there's a chance they may have ordered these mic flags to be used for one week only? Talk about bizarre if so.

If it is a mostly temporary move, it's an interesting promotional tool, even if a pointless expense. That said, even if some (most) don't like the mic flags, I think we all could again that it makes sense to use them for NFL kickoff this next week.

If it is a mostly temporary move, it's an interesting promotional tool, even if a pointless expense. That said, even if some (most) don't like the mic flags, I think we all could again that it makes sense to use them for NFL kickoff this next week.

The were using the logo in a bumper on college football on ABC transitioning to breaks yesterday so it's everywhere and kind of ugly...

It's their social media profile pics, too. This all reminds me of an article I read the other day that explained the ineffectiveness of the 1970's NBC trapezoid 'N' logo. To paraphrase, someone said that by making only the first letter the logo, they were ignoring two-thirds of their identity. By that token, ESPN is doing the same, and for those saying that it's too much like the E! network, both 'E's stand for entertainment. :D

It's their social media profile pics, too. This all reminds me of an article I read the other day that explained the ineffectiveness of the 1970's NBC trapezoid 'N' logo. To paraphrase, someone said that by making only the first letter the logo, they were ignoring two-thirds of their identity. By that token, ESPN is doing the same, and for those saying that it's too much like the E! network, both 'E's stand for entertainment. :D

I thought it was the Everything Sports Network?

Oh... Entertainment and Sports Network... mines much better and I expect royalties from it :D

With the start of college football season, ESPN rolled out their first major mic flag redesign since 2004 (Although they did have an ESPNHD variant in between). They have eliminated the full network name and opted for just an "E". (Are these graphics new, or has this already existed?)

4OWGwc2r.jpg

I love it! With respect to those who were like "ESPN's new microphone flag drools," ESPN's new microphone flag rules!

Archived