CBS buying Network Ten (AU)

Eat News

This is honestly the best outcome for Ten, by far.

CBS has the resources and capital to turn Ten around from both a programming and news/public affairs standpoint. If I'm not mistaken the synergies have already been there for years--CBS owned a third stake in 10 sister network Eleven (and apparently Ten does still run CBS This Morning--thanks onthesea!)

The Murdochs ran them to the ground and Ten very likely would have gone under without this.

CBS has the resources and capital to turn Ten around from both a programming and news/public affairs standpoint. If I'm not mistaken the synergies have already been there on the news side for years (and not just in presentation--does Ten still run CBS This Morning?)

The Murdochs ran them to the ground and Ten very likely would have gone under without this.

Yes, Ten still airs CBS This Morning.

CBS has the resources and capital to turn Ten around from both a programming and news/public affairs standpoint. If I'm not mistaken the synergies have already been there for years--CBS owned a third stake in 10 sister network Eleven (and apparently Ten does still run CBS This Morning--thanks onthesea!)

That was always my sense as well. I think Ten is considered pretty high quality for news, even if it's not necessarily #1 (much like CBS). Hugh Riminton is very well-respected as their political editor, and I was a big fan of his when he was an anchor at CNN Hong Kong for a few years.

What will happen with Nine's well-established version of 60 Minutes? I don't think that program is going to be taken off the air.

CBS News has had an exclusive news sharing agreement with Ten for over a decade. Ten would sell/lease the 60 Minutes segments to Nine.

As someone who lives in Australia, it'll be very interesting to see what a CBS-owned Network Ten is like. Hopefully the new owners will substantially increase funding to the news service and local programing, as well as bidding harder for sporting rights.

What will happen with Nine's well-established version of 60 Minutes? I don't think that program is going to be taken off the air.

If Nine can continue branding it's breakfast show as Today (despite the Today brand being associated with NBC, which of course has a partnership with Seven for Australian news content), I don't see why they wouldn't be able to continue using the 60 Minutes brand.

Archived