KHOU Building Flooded

Weeters

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KTRK mentioned it on their Twitter with a pretty nice message. They also made mention of it on the air Sunday afternoon. Keep in mind, these people are competitors but also friends.

KHOU's building has taken moderate damage from strong storms before but this is devastating. For those not familiar with Houston, Channel 11's studios sit right across the street from a major bayou.

KTRK mentioned it on their Twitter with a pretty nice message. They also made mention of it on the air Sunday afternoon. Keep in mind, these people are competitors but also friends.

KHOU's building has taken moderate damage from strong storms before but this is devastating. For those not familiar with Houston, Channel 11's studios sit right across the street from a major bayou.

That was too kind of KTRK to do that, especially since they are dealing with the same crisis. I don't remember KPRC or KRIV posting anything though.

As someone who currently works at a radio station that had to relocate studios/offices last year (in our station's case, due to the August floods in Louisiana), I think finding a newer property to relocate KHOU should priority #1 for Tegna!

The building doesn't have to built from scratch, mind you, but I'm sure there are office buildings and/or abandoned supermarket/shopping mall space that Tegna could lease for KHOU's studios/facilities. If there is an existing tall office building in the Houston suburbs or even a skyscraper in downtown Houston that would have more than enough floors to house KHOU's studios/newsroom/offices, this would be a major plus!!

From my personal perspective when Allison hit in 2001, I lived in Chambers County and we did not flood. 1752160271_Ih10and146.jpg.138ba3bd8cccf263bc899fe53a7b847f.jpg(image courtesy of the Baytown Sun)

This is the area where I am from today. This is the first time in my life that the flooding in my county is this bad.

So, KHOU has now added a ticker.

I am wondering who is controlling that. I know they also now have a Chroma Wall setup as well so it looks like KUHT will be the facility of choice for the next bit of time

That the ticker and L3s are still using Arial as the default font makes it definitely look like it's being controlled from KHOU. Master control duties may be from KUSA, though.

And it's not like there's anywhere else they CAN go. It may be this setup for weeks... or months even.

From my personal perspective when Allison hit in 2001, I lived in Chambers County and we did not flood. [ATTACH=full]4408[/ATTACH](image courtesy of the Baytown Sun)

This is the area where I am from today. This is the first time in my life that the flooding in my county is this bad.

I'm from the Kingwood area and have never ever seen it this bad.

Interesting development: in a behind the scenes video you can see they've swapped out KUHT's studio cameras (pedestals, full sized cameras, prompters) with ENG-style cameras on tripods. There's a WFAA logo on one at 7:52.

EDIT: Also noticed a WSI computer is visible at 9:52

CBS radio news has had KTVT's Scott Padgett and Jeff Jamison as their Harvey weather voices during top-of-hour newscasts in lieu of anyone from KHOU (or any other Houston-based contributor) up to now.

CBS Radio Houston (soon to be sold off to Entercom) has no news department, and whatever personnel is helming the fort at the cluster ATM is undoubtedly being taxed to the limit mentally and emotionally.

From what I understand, daytimer KIKK 650 (usually running CBS Sports Radio sunrise to sunset) is running a loop of prerecorded emergency information. Not sure if they got authorization to run at nighttime.

Edit: yes, KIKK got the authorization yesterday.

[MEDIA=twitter]902150628935335936[/MEDIA]

From what I understand, daytimer KIKK 650 (usually running CBS Sports Radio sunrise to sunset) is running a loop of prerecorded emergency information. Not sure if they got authorization to run at nighttime.

Direct link for KIKK's page: http://player.radio.com/listen/station/cbs-sports-radio-650

It sounds like they're using a professional announcer, the type that records announcements for airports and train stations. I can only assume the guy isn't anywhere near Houston.

So KUSA is doing the graphics and coordinating the broadcasts, including running video. Presumably the only thing KHOU is doing is weather graphics since they have that WSI box. KUSA put a little behind the scenes info on their website:

http://www.9news.com/mobile/article/news/local/next/how-a-tv-station-in-houston-is-using-a-denver-signal-to-make-a-broadcast-during-harvey/73-468752914

So KUSA is doing the graphics and coordinating the broadcasts, including running video. Presumably the only thing KHOU is doing is weather graphics since they have that WSI box. KUSA put a little behind the scenes info on their website:

http://www.9news.com/mobile/article/news/local/next/how-a-tv-station-in-houston-is-using-a-denver-signal-to-make-a-broadcast-during-harvey/73-468752914

Sounds like they're using a small switcher but if everything else is done in Denver then why the crappy graphics?

Sounds like they're using a small switcher but if everything else is done in Denver then why the crappy graphics?

It sounds like KUSA had to build a separate infrastructure out for KHOU on the fly, as this could be for the very long term.

What's puzzling is that KUSA - who houses the G3 graphics group - is running the KHOU graphics on a system that didn't have the Din font loaded completely.

It sounds like KUSA had to build a separate infrastructure out for KHOU on the fly, as this could be for the very long term.

I believe they could have used the control room that's set up for their new syndicated show.

What's puzzling is that KUSA - who houses the G3 graphics group - is running the KHOU graphics on a system that didn't have the Din font loaded completely.

I would expect the graphics hub to have a box to test things out that could have been used.

Also if you looked closely in the video it appears they could receive any TVU pack from any TEGNA station.

I'm assuming it's a secondary control room and has old equipment (the switcher, a Grass Valley Kayak, is a model that hasn't been sold for years). I know there's a lot of stations out there that do Facebook Live streams with graphics with wrong fonts, and I'd imagine something like that is happening here. Wrong fonts on a temporary/emergency broadcast setup is likely low on the Hub's list of priorities.

Installing new fonts also might require taking the system offline for a while, which obviously isn't something you want to do in the middle of coverage like this.

I'm assuming it's a secondary control room and has old equipment (the switcher, a Grass Valley Kayak, is a model that hasn't been sold for years). I know there's a lot of stations out there that do Facebook Live streams with graphics with wrong fonts, and I'd imagine something like that is happening here. Wrong fonts on a temporary/emergency broadcast setup is likely low on the Hub's list of priorities.

Installing new fonts also might require taking the system offline for a while, which obviously isn't something you want to do in the middle of coverage like this.

I agree. As it is, KHOU is limping along and can I'll afford to go down over something as petty as fonts.

So, if I'm understanding things correctly (I haven't had a chance to watch any of the videos in the past few days), KUSA took over for WFAA precisely because they're better equipped to take on the extra work. Correct?

So, if I'm understanding things correctly (I haven't had a chance to watch any of the videos in the past few days), KUSA took over for WFAA precisely because they're better equipped to take on the extra work. Correct?

I believe you are correct on that. KHOU is going to be in the setup possibly for the very long run, and KUSA had the capacity.

I agree. As it is, KHOU is limping along and can I'll afford to go down over something as petty as fonts.

Arial is basic and totally understandable. It's not a "wrong font."

I'm wondering how many inches of floodwater could disable the technical equipment in a news studio?

One teenie weenie drop of water on a circuit board can cause a catastrophic failure in that device.

Nothing electronic will be considered "salvageable".

You don't stick it in rice...you don't dry it out...

It's done.

The sad part is they may have lost most the archive and historic tapes.

And the building???

Probably gonna be full of mold and stinky. The entire place will not suitable for a TV station. You don't re-build or refurbish a station that old, or one that has also flooded.

This is probably is a good thing for the KHOU plant.

And KHOU probably couldn't pick a better business friendly place to rebuild due to the minimal bs they will have to go through with the city.

wonder if this will spur them to move?

As others have said in the thread, the chances of KHOU returning to the same building in the same location seem pretty close to zero.

Once the roads around the Houston area open up a bit more and non-essential emergency supplies are able to move in, I wouldn't be surprised to see a situation unfold similar to how WVUE got back on the air from New Orleans post-Katrina, which took a month or so after the storm IIRC. One of WVUE's engineers had a great series of blog posts on the unreal effort to build a combined newsroom/studio/control room using flypacks.

Routing control through KUSA will work for now, but it can't be a long-term solution. The satellite cost for this has to be insane times two, since they're renting time for backhaul to both the studio and transmitter.

Archived