KHOU Building Flooded

Weeters

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They can rebuild at the same location as long as they keep all the critical stuff above the new "high tide' line. make the first few floors parking. Plenty of flood prone areas require more height as a rquirement when rebuilding.

Put the place on stilts.

They actually have a nice central location. How much land do they own?

There site is 3 acres of land that is valued at $10.9M dollars

It's so hard to tell how much water they ended up getting in the main studio. I don't see any visible water lines like in the very dramatic photo of the control room. I wonder if some quirk of the way the station is built prevented more water from flowing in. If that's the case, there may be a surprising amount of salvageable technology there. (At the very least, I'm pretty sure that all the lighting instruments are probably OK.)

FWIW, there are firms that will take technology like this, dry it out, thoroughly test it, and re-certify it for use. Where I work, we've had several significant water leaks (not nearly to the degree as this, though) and we've had to make use of them a few times.

A KGW engineer was sent to Dallas (WFAA) to help KHOU. Does anyone know what this room is at WFAA? A second control room that already existed or their existing one?

[MEDIA=twitter]903056927084732416[/MEDIA]

It appears to be their original HD control room. Scott Fybush took a picture of it in 2012, along with one of the Belo master control hub:

https://www.fybush.com/site-20140829/

The monitor walls are different but the switcher, another Kayak, is still there.

This is the current WFAA primary control room:

[MEDIA=twitter]901919228705607684[/MEDIA]

GciqJwp.jpg

It looks like there must have been at least a few feet in the studio, with a fairly significant flowing force - The weather(?) presentation area just to the left of the anchor desk is completely knocked over. It may not have been that heavy to begin with and may have actually floated and then been tipped over.

Also, does the main anchor desk look to anyone else as though it's been rolled/moved over a few inches? It may be the perspective of the photo that is throwing me off.

The population center of Texas is indeed east of the geographical center. It's near Holland, in Bell County:

TXMap-doton-Holland.PNG

Most of the Tegna Texas stations are in the eastern two thirds anyway, except for Abilene and San Angelo.

This point is closest to Austin and Waco. Austin would normally be a good place to put this, except that the area's boom growth has made traffic a nightmare since there's a dearth of highways.

Well, okay, that makes sense. I'd forgotten that the western parts of the state aren't as populated as the rest.

Austin's lack of major highways is weird for a city that size. Only one Interstate highway?

GciqJwp.jpg

It looks like there must have been at least a few feet in the studio, with a fairly significant flowing force - The weather(?) presentation area just to the left of the anchor desk is completely knocked over. It may not have been that heavy to begin with and may have actually floated and then been tipped over.

Also, does the main anchor desk look to anyone else as though it's been rolled/moved over a few inches? It may be the perspective of the photo that is throwing me off.

Looks like the monitor above the weather desk is gone, fell off or something I guess from the force of the water?

The monitor walls are different but the switcher, another Kayak, is still there.

[MEDIA=twitter]901919228705607684[/MEDIA]

Holy whitewater Weeters...

We found a Kayak in the KBEX-TV Master Control room after the last Christmas party.

I can't fathom how they got 2 kayaks in there.

(ok folks...we have returned to our normal programming)

Well, okay, that makes sense. I'd forgotten that the western parts of the state aren't as populated as the rest.

It's something you would NEVER forget if you ever drove from El Paso to San Antonio.

Dull, flat, empty, and boring.

But the people.....

So nice.

The KHOU operation now has a third satellite feed: a copy of the CBS network feed uplinked by WFAA and sent to KUSA (I don't know how WFAA is getting this feed, maybe through KYTX or KENS? The feed has occasionally had some error artifacts suggestive of a weak microwave or fiber connection between the downlink and WFAA).

Anyway, to recap, the three satellite feeds are working as so:

• Satellite feed 1 - raw feed from KUHT studio via WFAA truck to KUSA (content switched and played out locally at KUHT is also on this feed)
  • Satellite feed 2 - raw CBS network feed from WFAA to KUSA
  • Satellite feed 3 - program feed from KUSA to the KHOU transmitter

So far, all local time on the CBS feed has been covered with KHOU news/weather updates and/or PSAs related to the flood.

The KHOU operation now has a third satellite feed: a copy of the CBS network feed uplinked by WFAA and sent to KUSA (I don't know how WFAA is getting this feed, maybe through KYTX or KENS? The feed has occasionally had some error artifacts suggestive of a weak microwave or fiber connection between the downlink and WFAA).

Anyway, to recap, the three satellite feeds are working as so:

• Satellite feed 1 - raw feed from KUHT studio via WFAA truck to KUSA (content switched and played out locally at KUHT is also on this feed)
  • Satellite feed 2 - raw CBS network feed from WFAA to KUSA
  • Satellite feed 3 - program feed from KUSA to the KHOU transmitter

So far, all local time on the CBS feed has been covered with KHOU news/weather updates and/or PSAs related to the flood.

CBS last I checked has been left unencrypted. WFAA could manually be inserting the breaks.

Austin's lack of major highways is weird for a city that size. Only one Interstate highway?

The NIMBYs have been quite anti-freeway in Austin for years and years, and now they find out what that gets them. I don't know how they thought they could have a growing city without proper highway/freeway infrastructure along with it.(/offtopic)

CBS last I checked has been left unencrypted. WFAA could manually be inserting the breaks.

I re-read my message and see I should have been clearer. WFAA isn't inserting anything into the CBS feed, just relaying it to KUSA. The local "spots" are being inserted at KUSA onto the program feed going to the transmitter.

CBS recently began testing encryption during prime time. They've regularly used encryption during NFL games for the past few years. In addition, their feeds use 4:2:2 chroma subsampling, whereas nearly everybody else uses 4:2:0.

Fascinating to read through this thread. One thing I will say is that I don't think it's exactly fair to Monday morning quarterback and say that KHOU should have been more prepared. I saw this piece a few days ago and found it to be very helpful at explaining Houston's flooding issues. The gist of it is that Houston is very flood prone without any well-defined natural drainage features. As the city has grown and sprawled, the city built subdivisions in places where it probably should have built reservoirs and detention ponds instead. Because of this, the water has nowhere to go, exacerbating the flooding elsewhere. So it's entirely reasonable to conclude that the building was probably fine even 10-20 years ago, let alone when it was first built in the 1960s.

Sure, maybe they could have moved into a new, less flood-prone facility around the same time when they went HD. But I don't think you can fault the company for not thinking that far ahead and having some reticence leaving a building that was otherwise fine. Most of the stations that moved to new facilities during the HD transition era were typically leaving behind tiny, obsolescent radio buildings that were never built for broadcast.

Looks like the monitor above the weather desk is gone, fell off or something I guess from the force of the water?

I'm now thinking the monitor mounted on that plexi wall was gone from the start. The one on the cart in the before photo was probably blocking the mount from showing up on-air. The one on the cart might have been one of the two to end up in the conference room before they evacuated. I'm going to guess the one hung on the wall broke at some point prior to all this.

The mystery CBS Network satellite feed doesn't make a whole lot of sense, because KCNC has the capability to receive the East/Central coast network feed, and it'd be a hell of a lot easier and cheaper to microwave that down the street to KUSA than it would be for WFAA to get it from who knows where and uplink it to a satellite. IF WFAA is the one who's actually uplinking it, I'd imagine it's coming from KTVT and that the switch of control back to WFAA is impending, just based on the cost of a third satellite transponder. Not something you wanna have up for days on end.

Holy whitewater Weeters...

We found a Kayak in the KBEX-TV Master Control room after the last Christmas party.

I can't fathom how they got 2 kayaks in there.

(ok folks...we have returned to our normal programming)

Just don't let those Engineering boys talk you into the Kayenne challenge... because they're talking about the pepper, not the switcher.

Editing trouble again. But here's an impressive slide show from their website. You can see that the water level reached the lower level of the monitor stack and was powerful enough to knock over a console.

http://www.khou.com/mobile/gallery/news/photos-khou-11-studios-flood-before-and-after/285-469580841

It sounds like KUSA had to build a separate infrastructure out for KHOU on the fly, as this could be for the very long term.

What's puzzling is that KUSA - who houses the G3 graphics group - is running the KHOU graphics on a system that didn't have the Din font loaded completely.

In fact, KUSA sent one of their EPs and the Vice President of News, Patti Dennis, down to the Houston PBS to help out.

21150239_10155735473088024_4095332740129827086_n.jpg?oh=499c3caf825e6e7877b28a3f4fe871d4&oe=5A20D426

I also know that my friend, who is the ME at KXAS, will be heading down to KPRC to spell some of the staff in the newsroom. The wall-to-wall coverage may be over, but I know that the news staff is completely exhausted.

Archived