KHOU Building Flooded

Weeters

Regional Emmy nothing. She saved a guy's life. That's worth more than a golden statue.

They got a facebook live stream going. They're on the third floor of the Federal Reserve building and their engineers are working to get the station back on air.

They deserve Pulitzer and Murrow awards.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So now that I guess KHOU is officially off air, now wonder what's going to happen? I still have the KHOU.com feed still going

Are any other tv stations (ABC Afilliate, NBC Afilliate) on the same street or affected?

I think you knew what I meant

I believe the other affiliates are located in parts of Houston that are higher up off the ground and away from rivers and bayous. As someone else said, KHOU got flooded out during Tropical Storm Allison so it's baffling why they didn't make any prior preparations knowing that the flooding from this storm was going to well surpass the rain that Allison brought.

So now that I guess KHOU is officially off air, now wonder what's going to happen? I still have the KHOU.com feed still going

Are any other tv stations (ABC Afilliate, NBC Afilliate) on the same street or affected?

I think you knew what I meant

The other network affiliates are located further south and west. They haven't had to evacuate.

Regional Emmy nothing. She saved a guy's life. That's worth more than a golden statue.

They got a facebook live stream going. They're on the third floor of the Federal Reserve building and their engineers are working to get the station back on air.

Which is also working on their YouTube stream, too.

I believe the other affiliates are located in parts of Houston that are higher up off the ground and away from rivers and bayous. As someone else said, KHOU got flooded out during Tropical Storm Allison so it's baffling why they didn't make any prior preparations knowing that the flooding from this storm was going to well surpass the rain that Allison brought.

This. Did Tegna buy out all the engineers?

Honestly, there's not much excuse for going totally off the air. Don't get me wrong, I am sure they are working extremely hard to get back on the air right now. But the transmitter is on. It's sending out a black signal. Why weren't Engineers posted at the transmitter with some backup feed? It's not like this storm just happened. Someone should have drove a TVU receiver out there days ago.

Most video routers can be controlled over the network, which means they're able to be controlled from a cell phone anywhere with the proper network setup.

I hope there's a good writeup in one of the Engineering publications after this, because I'd love to hear what happened here.

Honestly, there's not much excuse for going totally off the air. Don't get me wrong, I am sure they are working extremely hard to get back on the air right now. But the transmitter is on. It's sending out a black signal. Why weren't Engineers posted at the transmitter with some backup feed? It's not like this storm just happened. Someone should have drove a TVU receiver out there days ago.

Most video routers can be controlled over the network, which means they're able to be controlled from a cell phone anywhere with the proper network setup.

I hope there's a good writeup in one of the Engineering publications after this, because I'd love to hear what happened here.

Apparently they had flood gates around their property. But did they have a pump to pump out the water?

I look back to Katrina and how they handled situations like these. WWL had people set up in Baton Rouge when the worst of the storm happened and WDSU actually tossed it to their affiliates in Jackson and Orlando. I'm wondering why TEGNA couldn't toss everything over to someone at KENS or KVUE until everything in Houston got situated.

[quote name='Mrtraveler01']I look back to Katrina and how they handled situations like these. WWL had people set up in Baton Rouge when the worst of the storm happened and WDSU actually tossed it to their affiliates in Jackson and Orlando. I'm wondering why TEGNA couldn't toss everything over to someone at KENS or KVUE until everything in Houston got situated.[/QUOTE] Watch it be that they were unable to handle something like that. Like @Weeters said he was surprised there wasn't a TVU Receiver at the tramsmitter. If anything arose another TEGNA station could feed the receiver.

Apparently they had flood gates around their property. But did they have a pump to pump out the water?

There was a "flood gate" at the front of the lobby, however it was at the same level as the windows along the exterior of the building. In one of the Facebook Live videos you could actually see water bubbling up under the windowframe.

I'm not sure what the flood gate was supposed to accomplish other than look important.

There's no excuse at the station group level, either.

At Scripps, if needed master control and other duties can be shifted elsewhere. This happened with WMAR's car standoff three years ago. KNXV took over broadcast control of WMAR.

Tegna should implement this for all of its stations so any station in the group, whether that be KING, WFAA or WUSA, could step in to control, for instance, KHOU if needed. Given that the station group as a whole now has more stations in hurricane-prone areas (mostly in Texas but also WWL, WTLV/WJXX, WTSP, and others), and in the aftermath of this embarrassment, this should be a corporate priority.

It probably had to do with MONEY!

There's no excuse at the station group level, either.

At Scripps, if needed master control and other duties can be shifted elsewhere. This happened with WMAR's car standoff three years ago. KNXV took over broadcast control of WMAR.

Tegna should implement this for all of its stations so any station in the group, whether that be KING, WFAA or WUSA, could step in to control, for instance, KHOU if needed. Given that the station group as a whole now has more stations in hurricane-prone areas (mostly in Texas but also WWL, WTLV/WJXX, WTSP, and others), and in the aftermath of this embarrassment, this should be a corporate priority.

It's not like Tegna is clueless about this stuff, like I mentioned in the shoutbox the other day, WVEC has a full backup facility at their transmitter.

With a studio that sits in a vulnerable spot along the Elizabeth River in Norfolk, 13News Now is lucky to have a backup facility.

Gosh, it's almost the same deal. Someone at KHOU had a serious case of "It'll never happen here."

Or KBMT. Or KYTX. Or KIII.

Seriously... how many stations does TEGNA own in Texas?

The London acquisition gave them a dense network of stations in Texas in addition to what Belo had. Tegna has 10 stations in the Lone Star State, representing about 25 percent of their portfolio.

It's not like Tegna is clueless about this stuff, like I mentioned in the shoutbox the other day, WVEC has a full backup facility at their transmitter.

Gosh, it's almost the same deal. Someone at KHOU had a serious case of "It'll never happen here."

You would think there would at least be a requirement to have a backup location to broadcast in the event of something like this.

You would think there would at least be a requirement to have a backup location to broadcast in the event of something like this.

Only a handful of stations have designated backup locations, and depending on the circumstances they may need different options.

They have 10 news operations in Texas (KHOU, KVUE, KENS, WFAA, KIII, KBMT, KYTX, KCEN/KAGS, KIDY, KXVA). I'm sure all of them will be helping KHOU out.

No doubt. But it doesn't, and shouldn't, make up for the apparent lack of a contingency plan to keep the station alive (let alone not force an endless reporter stand-up) as was unfortunately seen here.

WKYC or WGRZ, for example, could and should have had the capacity to step in and take command of KHOU's master control duties once the evacuation was ordered.

Someone at KHOU had a serious case of "It'll never happen here."

THIS.

The FCC used to be way more anal about this stuff before companies pushed for deregulation. Having to have people manning Master Control at all time. Not anymore!

The Facebook live stream went, and now they're relaying the CBS national SR. Presumably the CBS SR is what's playing OTA.

The YouTube feed is off a computer. If you scroll back you can see they were relaying the Facebook stream the same way. OTA is still black from what I've seen.

Archived