Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
RCA TK47

1980s Set Designers/Fabricators?

On 9/9/2017 at 10:57 AM, Info Junkie said:

IMG_2723.thumb.PNG.d99c9cf71afe2f3e877e4e2cef196a4f.PNG At last, a full shot of KJRH using the Scripps-mandated set.

Here is WEWS's set circa 1984. It went through some changes over the years.

WEWS 1984ish Set.PNG

Who wants an old Scripps desk from the 80s?

WOUB-TV (run by Ohio University) is retiring the desk that was last used for their high school football program.   It was also used by their j-school on their daily newscast (which happens to be the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism).   I believe this came from WCPO originally.

If anyone is interested, or knows someone who wants this piece of history, they should contact WOUB-TV in the next week or so before it joins the big WEWS "circle 5" in the sky....

FB_IMG_1578689147295.jpg

• Like 3

Yep, although this was just a cable newscast run by J-school students for one of their required classes.  Everybody did everything from producing, assignment desk, reporting, shooting, editing, and anchoring.

It even made Tosh 2.0 back in the day.

Just the desk.  As you can see, it's gone through many paint jobs and renovations over the years.

WCPO's version of the set looks nearly identical to the one WEWS had.   The weather center, monitor arrays, and the color-changing background.  

Part of the Ohio University J-School setup was the 2 retractable blue panels that could have been used for chroma-keying a monitor shot.

I'm told the desk had to be cut in 2 in order to get it into the basement of Scripps Hall (where the studio was and the Journalism school was located at the time). 

When WOUB got it, it moved to the 6th floor of the RTV building into studio A, their larger studio.  At least they had a freight elevator.

• Like 1

Small point: WOUB's TV studios are on the 5th floor (the grid extends up to the 6th.) They definitely have a tradition of recycling. I know during my time there (back in the dawn of time), they reused WBNS Columbus's old set.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jcburns said:

Small point: WOUB's TV studios are on the 5th floor (the grid extends up to the 6th.) They definitely have a tradition of recycling. I know during my time there (back in the dawn of time), they reused WBNS Columbus's old set.

You are correct....it is the 5th floor that the main studios are on. 

I believe their current WOUB News set was from Spectrum News, and the one before that came from a station in Missouri (KMIZ?)

It's good to see these older sets being recycled like this for future generations to cut their teeth on.