1980s Set Designers/Fabricators?

RCA TK47

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Who wants an old Scripps desk from the 80s?

WOUB-TV (run by Ohio University) is retiring the desk that was last used for their high school football program.   It was also used by their j-school on their daily newscast (which happens to be the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism).   I believe this came from WCPO originally.

If anyone is interested, or knows someone who wants this piece of history, they should contact WOUB-TV in the next week or so before it joins the big WEWS "circle 5" in the sky....

FB_IMG_1578689147295.jpg

• Like 3

Just the desk.  As you can see, it's gone through many paint jobs and renovations over the years.

WCPO's version of the set looks nearly identical to the one WEWS had.   The weather center, monitor arrays, and the color-changing background.  

Part of the Ohio University J-School setup was the 2 retractable blue panels that could have been used for chroma-keying a monitor shot.

I'm told the desk had to be cut in 2 in order to get it into the basement of Scripps Hall (where the studio was and the Journalism school was located at the time). 

When WOUB got it, it moved to the 6th floor of the RTV building into studio A, their larger studio.  At least they had a freight elevator.

• Like 1

Small point: WOUB's TV studios are on the 5th floor (the grid extends up to the 6th.) They definitely have a tradition of recycling. I know during my time there (back in the dawn of time), they reused WBNS Columbus's old set.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jcburns said:

Small point: WOUB's TV studios are on the 5th floor (the grid extends up to the 6th.) They definitely have a tradition of recycling. I know during my time there (back in the dawn of time), they reused WBNS Columbus's old set.

You are correct....it is the 5th floor that the main studios are on. 

I believe their current WOUB News set was from Spectrum News, and the one before that came from a station in Missouri (KMIZ?)

It's good to see these older sets being recycled like this for future generations to cut their teeth on.

• 3 months later...

Can sports shows be included here? If so, then I'd like to add CBS Sports' Studio 43 design that started in 1981 and ran to 1990 (IIRC); a couple of examples of the same being The Prudential College Football Report w/Jim Nantz from 1986, and The NFL Today from 1988 (this Studio 43 was also used on the CBS Morning News w/Bill Kurtis and Diane Sawyer for a time).

collegefootballreport1986.jpg

nfltoday1988.jpg

cbsmorningnews1983.jpg

Edited by bmasters1
Also used as CBS Morning News studio
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, HulkieD said:

That one actually doubled as the CBS Morning News set for a time...

And I really liked that one and the one for Today on NBC then (and BTW, I just now edited my original post to reflect the CBS Morning News usage).

Edited by bmasters1

The 80s TODAY living room set was kind of in house

There's a clip on YT where it debuts and Willard Scott mentions the two people who led it - one was the director of the show - the other was Carole Lee Caroll - a scenic artist who did work for Letterman and some Broadway shows - maybe she was retained as defacto for NBC around then - but no agency / set design specialty firm involved. 

Edited by sfomspphl
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

The one I just posted, from CBS Sports?

Yep. However, I think that as the CBS Morning News set, it looks lackluster. Everything is a dull monotone.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, brb588 said:

Yep. However, I think that as the CBS Morning News set, it looks lackluster. Everything is a dull monotone.

Do you think the Sports versions (college football, NFL Today) are more colorful?

7 hours ago, Breaking News said:

I always wanted to know who did this set back in the 80s for WJXT, WDIV, WSB & WTVF.  The style was very modern for the 80s era and the last picture of WTVF they did change the anchor desk in the 90s.

wjxt.png

wjxt2.png

wdiv1.png

wdiv2.png

wdiv3.png

wsb.png

wtvf.png

wtvf2.png

wtvf3.png

Add WFSB (It appears the only Post-Newsweek station not to use this set was WPLG)...1291192113_TVbDdemo1984.mp4_snapshot_02_56_970.jpg.66f533934374b1bd78a7ce975245f32e.jpg590977186_TVbDdemo1984.mp4_snapshot_02_24_903.jpg.4e65361c25e6195c2d6f04534110ff2a.jpg

TVbD demo 1984.mp4_snapshot_02.24.903.jpg

Edited by bixpchiphead
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, bixpchiphead said:

Add WFSB (It appears the only Post-Newsweek station not to use this set was WPLG)...1291192113_TVbDdemo1984.mp4_snapshot_02_56_970.jpg.66f533934374b1bd78a7ce975245f32e.jpg590977186_TVbDdemo1984.mp4_snapshot_02_24_903.jpg.4e65361c25e6195c2d6f04534110ff2a.jpg

TVbD demo 1984.mp4_snapshot_02.24.903.jpg

The plexi skyline backdrop from this set still exists and it's actually installed in current anchor Dennis House's attic.

• Like 3