New KOLR Graphics / Possible New Nexstar Package?

Weeters

I’m surprised the VO is now Steve Kamer instead of that other guy (don’t know his name) that was doing the breaking news and weather first opens. But Kamer has this tone that feels like it’s the real deal and personally, I think it’s a righteous fit for WKRG.

According to user MikePulse, the "other" voiceover guy was Jeff Bordner. He always seemed like an interim voice since a LOT of Jay Gardner's VO work remained in use on news opens done before mid-2016.

(i.e. if something was done after Jay Gardner's term was up, it was done by the other guy.)

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to user MikePulse, the "other" voiceover guy was Jeff Bordner. He always seemed like an interim voice since a LOT of Jay Gardner's VO work remained in use on news opens done before mid-2016.

(i.e. if something was done after Jay Gardner's term was up, it was done by the other guy.)

That explains alot when I go home to Mobile for vacations and I hear 2 different vo's during the newscast. Thanks Mike and Tyrannical

So far, I've been pleasantly surprised with the relaunch. Things look good and the "identity crisis" I was fearing with the new logo hasn't happened. (it lends itself to read as NEWS 5 WKRG...instead of WKRG NEWS 5)...so no WIAT NEWS 42 CBS mess....

All of the old promos seem to have been scrubbed since 5pm...so the promo team has been on top of things (with new and updated ones) and deserves the kudos for pulling off the relaunch!

So far, I've been pleasantly surprised with the relaunch. Things look good and the "identity crisis" I was fearing with the new logo hasn't happened. (it lends itself to read as NEWS 5 WKRG...instead of WKRG NEWS 5)...so no WIAT NEWS 42 CBS mess....

All of the old promos seem to have been scrubbed since 5pm...so the promo team has been on top of things (with new and updated ones) and deserves the kudos for pulling off the relaunch!

Yes they have... def kudos! Thank goodness that clanky, marching-band music pack is gone! It's about damn time! da....da da da.. dum dum....da da dum! Bad thing was they only seemed to use 2 cuts of it. Ugggh!

No more "Gulf Coast CW News at 9" and the old WNCN/WJAR/WSLS package....they have also adopted the new WKRG news look and are now "WKRG News 5 at 9pm".

They are still using Jim Cutler for WFNA promos...but the 9pm show is now indistinguishable from the others on WKRG.

• 1 month later...

Other than WISH, has anybody seen any other station switching graphics lately?

Oh and by the way, someone at WSPA loves KTVK because they just changed their slogan from “The News Station” to “Carolina’s Family”.

Other than WISH, has anybody seen any other station switching graphics lately?

Oh and by the way, someone at WSPA loves KTVK because they just changed their slogan from “The News Station” to “Carolina’s Family”.

The inspiration is clear, just like how KTLA and WPIX are taking on the WGN method for their slogans.

Yep, it just happened last year.

• 2 months later...
I noticed on KHON's continuing coverage of Hurricane Lane that they are using the updated Nexstar news ticker -- wonder if they are up soon for the FOX version of Nexstar's graphics??

I hope not. That would not fit well

WSPA did receive new graphics earlier this week but it’s not the CBS Nexstar ones surprisingly. It seems like a hybrid that has the old look still involved. Pretty nice if I do say so myself.

The opens and franchises leave A LOT to be desired.

(But so did the opens/franchises in the previous look)

WSPA did receive new graphics earlier this week but it’s not the CBS Nexstar ones surprisingly. It seems like a hybrid that has the old look still involved. Pretty nice if I do say so myself.

The opens and franchises leave A LOT to be desired.

(But so did the opens/franchises in the previous look)

It looks like an in-house job and a poorly executed one at that. Definitely not Linear Drift.

It looks like an in-house job and a poorly executed one at that. Definitely not Linear Drift.

I could be wrong but those lower thirds seem to resemble a piece of Graham Media Group at least that's what they look like.

I get a feeling of the WISH graphics with these in a way.

I get a feeling of the WISH graphics with these in a way.

I was thinking the same thing reminds of the one and only 24 Hour News 8 WISH TV, oh wait. LOL

If it's the same package, they butchered it severely. I think it's a poorly done in-house knockoff.

So WKBN has the new Nexstar time & temp bug and ticker, but still has the same L3 and other graphics from their current package.

WKBN:

IMG_20180826_183054093.thumb.jpg.6ccbf34e9e025c56e428a13cd4c89b56.jpg

WYTV:

IMG_20180826_180513603.thumb.jpg.f8c425290c348245e36f6c496a4a8785.jpg

Thought: What is it with CBS affiliates in NE Ohio and subpar time/temp bugs? First WOIO, now this? At least WYTV's bug looks sensical.

WKBN:

[ATTACH=full]6391[/ATTACH]

WYTV:

[ATTACH=full]6392[/ATTACH]

Thought: What is it with CBS affiliates in NE Ohio and subpar time/temp bugs? First WOIO, now this? At least WYTV's bug looks sensical.

344621441_WOWKTicker2018.thumb.jpg.62ff05ec00e6ea095d1f3c491ae4252e.jpg

This must have been added in the past 5 days or so. I was over that way last week and watched Newswatch27 and 33 Eyewitness News, oh wait wrong decade. Long story short that wasn't on air as of last Monday.

When WOWK launched the Nexstar CBS graphics and new set they added the ticker and same time/temp bug that WKBN is using. I noticed that WYTV time/temp bug is more rounder than the square one.

This package feels B A S I C.

I wonder if WOWK's time-temp bug is still tied to LIDIA....as the font hasn't changed since the early 2000s (when The Early Show used it)...

WSPA's look is definitely a watered-down hybrid of it's last look with the current CBS package making its rounds....even more ironic that WNCN basically swiped their logo, and went all-in with the new look!

Hopefully a change is coming to WKBN and WYTV...as long as Nexstar has gotten parallelograms and hexagons out of their system....no more logos like WMBD and the last one used by WHAG before they came WDVM!

Archived