New KOLR Graphics / Possible New Nexstar Package?

Weeters

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, it's sweeps and WKRG is still on their old package and music. Monday perhaps?

I did see a new promo with an endtag that had the new CBS look on it...It's coming for sure...

For the record, the past five news music packages that WKRG used only spent three years each, then two years each for 12 years total.

This old M.G. package is 12 years old of just one use.

For the record, the past five news music packages that WKRG used only spent three years each, then two years each for 12 years total.

This old M.G. package is 12 years old of just one use.

I mean I know the SESAC Attack hit the Media General group hard, but did they really think this new package was a worthy replacement? It was horrible. They only went with JDK Music because of previous work done for WSLS, back in the early 90s. What possessed them to do this and not just go with Gari or 615 like everyone else did is beyond me. This ranks up there with the Rampage Gannett Broken Fax Machine package as THE WORST group music package there is. I hope when WKRG finally does kill it, they kill it, shoot it, pour gasoline on it, light it on fire, drive it off a bridge into a river, and then shred every last copy that may still exist so nobody has to be in pain from hearing it anymore.

I mean I know the SESAC Attack hit the Media General group hard, but did they really think this new package was a worthy replacement? It was horrible. They only went with JDK Music because of previous work done for WSLS, back in the early 90s. What possessed them to do this and not just go with Gari or 615 like everyone else did is beyond me. This ranks up there with the Rampage Gannett Broken Fax Machine package as THE WORST group music package there is. I hope when WKRG finally does kill it, they kill it, shoot it, pour gasoline on it, light it on fire, drive it off a bridge into a river, and then shred every last copy that may still exist so nobody has to be in pain from hearing it anymore.

The crazy part is, if you listen closely... it’s actually a really poor take on updating Metropolis.

The relationship with John Keltonic (JDK) goes back to the Roy H. Park days. I think that WSLS 1988 Theme was done for WTVR.

Why has it lasted this long?

Saving $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Even after EVERY other legacy Media General station dumped it to go BACK to Stephen Arnold (mostly with Canvas, but that has since changed again). A few of the stations used it sparingly in bumpers like WCBD and WJHL, but it has been heard day in and day out on WKRG since 2006.

My money's on Guardian. It's not my favorite Arnold pack and not my least favorite, but it will do. It beats hearing WALA maim "This is home" after a too-long run of 615s "Right Here Right Now", and the Sinclair music on WEAR and WPMI.

As for the graphics, I'll miss them too. The excessive use of iPads and tablets as elements annoyed me at first but when I found out it was a work of John Christopher Burns, it grew on me with it's use of kerned typography that makes his work shine and stand out....it would have been good to have lasted longer at WVTM but Hearst brought them back from the dead and made them the station they once were while WIAT went back to the basement...

Good thing I have a copy! ;)

Why has it lasted this long?

Saving $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Even after EVERY other legacy Media General station dumped it to go BACK to Stephen Arnold (mostly with Canvas, but that has since changed again). A few of the stations used it sparingly in bumpers like WCBD and WJHL, but it has been heard day in and day out on WKRG since 2006.

My money's on Guardian. It's not my favorite Arnold pack and not my least favorite, but it will do. It beats hearing WALA maim "This is home" after a too-long run of 615s "Right Here Right Now", and the Sinclair music on WEAR and WPMI.

As for the graphics, I'll miss them too. The excessive use of iPads and tablets as elements annoyed me at first but when I found out it was a work of John Christopher Burns, it grew on me with it's use of kerned typography that makes his work shine and stand out....it would have been good to have lasted longer at WVTM but Hearst brought them back from the dead and made them the station they once were while WIAT went back to the basement...

If they choose Canvas, I’d think that package would be WAAAYYYY overdue. Like they should’ve debuted that 5 years prior.

The new logo is on WKRG.com

WKRG-NEWS-Logo_WHITE_1524863429542_40991544_ver1.0.png

It's a transparent .PNG and looks much better on a dark background.

However, the circle is still from the Media General days so its not like they got rid of M.G. forever with this new logo.

WKRG's logo has evolved a little over the years since the current variant was introduced...

46881317_wkrgevolution.jpg.ccb4f81564014c9ad5c50ac5c299df85.jpg

The top logos were the original ones, with the .com being added a few years later. The last one is the MGFX variant, which is much more 3D.

The bottom ones are the JCB versions...the main difference is with the placement of the CBS "eye" and variants of fonts and shading.

This time, it's more of a 3D look with different fonts, and the 5 and CBS being the same colors

730855304_newwkrglogo.jpg.616e1c7a7d8a1d3237ea9e812d293083.jpg

I added the blue behind the 2nd logo to prove my point on how it shows up on a dark vs. a light background.

I like the shading on the "blue" version and wish it was more pronounced on the white version.

My prediction is that WKRG goes with CBS Local. It wouldn't be the first time they used the Enforcer signature, look up their 2000-2002 News Theme from Dogwood Productions on NMSA.

My prediction is that WKRG goes with CBS Local. It wouldn't be the first time they used the Enforcer signature, look up their 2000-2002 News Theme from Dogwood Productions on NMSA.

The Dogwood-produced theme tried to mimic the Palmer News Package, but sounded off key in some areas.

The Dogwood-produced theme tried to mimic the Palmer News Package, but sounded off key in some areas.

And PNP had the Enforcer signature, both based off the Dick Marx WBBM "I love Chicago, Chicago My Home" package from the 1970s.

CBS Local would be a good choice, but my money is still on Guardian. One of the cuts was used in a sweeps promo (or something with the same signature).

As long as it's not Aerial, This is the Place (used on WXXV), Locals Only, Extreme (used on WLOX) or Inergy (used on WJHG, WDAM AND WSFA).

WMBB is using Guardian, but it's one of the lesser-used Arnold themes.

Looks like the weather graphics have been updated on the website with the new look. http://www.wkrg.com/weather

They're also keeping the "First Alert Storm Team" branding, which also has a new logo.

UPDATE: New graphics are live. http://www.wkrg.com/watch-wkrg-news

Also, the JDK Music package has officially been retired and replaced with "Guardian" by Stephen Arnold.

Looks like the weather graphics have been updated on the website with the new look. http://www.wkrg.com/weather

They're also keeping the "First Alert Storm Team" branding, which also has a new logo.

UPDATE: New graphics are live. http://www.wkrg.com/watch-wkrg-news

Also, the JDK Music package has officially been retired and replaced with "Guardian" by Stephen Arnold.

HAL-LE-LEU-JAH! AL-A-BAM-A!

I’m surprised the VO is now Steve Kamer instead of that other guy (don’t know his name) that was doing the breaking news and weather first opens. But Kamer has this tone that feels like it’s the real deal and personally, I think it’s a righteous fit for WKRG.

Archived