New KOLR Graphics / Possible New Nexstar Package?

Weeters

Honestly it would have made a lot more sense if Nexstar standardized music for these packages. Some of these music choices do not work with the graphics. I would have chosen to embrace the excellent WROC package myself.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And now...a song image promo...

Stephen Arnold?

I don't know about the logo just yet...it looks awkward.

WIAT has a ‘central Alabama’ version. It’s another Stephen Arnold campaign.

They may not have one.....yet.

I know other Nexstar stations stations have picked this up.

WTWO / WAWV

WCMH

WOWK (with a different song)

KFDX / KJTL

and of course....WIAT

Speaking of WIAT. They are also "LOCAL Coverage You Can Count on" along with WKRG, building off their longtime slogan.

I've yet to see any visual evidence of the new CBS package on WKRG (all I've seen is the modified logo pop up on promos and new reporter mic flags with the logo in blue)

We shall see....that time of year where stuff changes is upon us...

And now...a song image promo...

I don't know about the logo just yet...it looks awkward.

The dark outline around everything is a bit much, and I'm really not digging the gold ellipse behind the 5, or the line separating "NEWS" from "WKRG". I guess that doesn't leave much that I DO like about the logo. I've been pleased with the graphics and logos that have been appearing on other Nexstar stations. It just doesn't seem like a lot of effort went into this one.

♫It's every-where-I...go...Every where I.....GO!♫

(Well not really, but you'll get the idea.)

Nexstar is Loving Living Local...

I guess this is Nexstar's response to Sinclair's "Journalistic Responsibility" promos.

The dark outline around everything is a bit much, and I'm really not digging the gold ellipse behind the 5, or the line separating "NEWS" from "WKRG". I guess that doesn't leave much that I DO like about the logo. I've been pleased with the graphics and logos that have been appearing on other Nexstar stations. It just doesn't seem like a lot of effort went into this one.

It's a step backwards IMHO. Almost like the 3D variants that were created by MGFX when they got the "hubcap" package.

John Christopher Burns took it back to it's roots with more of a flowing 2D variant that was like the original variant from 2003.

They may not have one.....yet.

I know other Nexstar stations stations have picked this up.

WTWO / WAWV

WCMH

WOWK (with a different song)

KFDX / KJTL

and of course....WIAT

Speaking of WIAT. They are also "LOCAL Coverage You Can Count on" along with WKRG, building off their longtime slogan.

I've yet to see any visual evidence of the new CBS package on WKRG (all I've seen is the modified logo pop up on promos and new reporter mic flags with the logo in blue)

We shall see....that time of year where stuff changes is upon us...

I actually enjoy these image campaigns. I'm most familiar with WTWO, and it captures this area perfectly. I'm sure the other's capture their area perfectly too.

The CBS42 one is a bit on the cheesey side though...

It's a step backwards IMHO. Almost like the 3D variants that were created by MGFX when they got the "hubcap" package.

John Christopher Burns took it back to it's roots with more of a flowing 2D variant that was like the original variant from 2003.

See that's the problem with the "golden ring 5" logo. Too many hands have been in the cookie jar so to speak. It's been morphed and modified so much since it originally debuted that it really is a shitty logo at this point.

For those who don't know, this was an off-shoot of the old MG golden arc and for some reason they locally wanted to turn it into a ring when it was their turn to get standardized. WHLT in Hattiesburg, Mississippi would debut a similar logo when they switched to the new MG logo style.

It seems through graphics changes over the years the logo changed with each graphics change. I never particularly liked it, I was more of a fan of the old WKRG 5 parallelogram logo it replaced.

All I can say is... “It’s About Time!”

Also I believe this is the first post-LIN station to get the package.

I tend to wonder if they took a template for the open and made it in-house. It looks weird.

The new logo is awful. It's like a hodgepodge of the failed "WIAT 42 News" and failed "CBS North Carolina" logos. It also looks funky on the mic flags.

It's about time...indeed.

It's not the greatest, but it's a massive improvement over the hodgepodge, hacked together brand ever since they ditched CBS 42 the last time.

Change over at WKRG is imminent. They've changed the 2 shots to a tighter, screen filling one over the old 4x3 safe ones and changed the skyline shots in the background monitor. Also, a new voiceover person is starting to voice elements like the towercam sponsor before the copyright. All the social media still has the current "5" but it may be coming in the next few days with the start of sweeps.

Another thing I've noticed is the increased content sharing. LOTS of WIAT content is being used on WKRG, primarily news about Alabama recruits. I was over in Panama City watching WMBB as well, and they were covering Pensacola as if it was a local story, using WKRG's footage...

UPDATE:. Just saw a blip of the new CBS package pop up on WKRG during severe weather coverage. Had it not been for the wall-to-wall coverage it probably could have happened today.... But we shall see...

A very good update for WIAT -- why are they using that god awful Bank Gothic font?? It doesn't mesh with the Lato font at all... And I agree the mic flags look clunky.. But hey we'll take it

It's called Akzidenz-Grotesk....

Archived