New KFOR/KAUT Studio

JCB4TV

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One other thing I noticed about the package: the L3s were clearly designed to allow a ticker to be placed next to the time/temperature bug. However, a ticker was absent on the weekday editions of KFOR's morning newscast on Monday and Tuesday.

Also, it seems ironic that KFOR chose theme music that heavily incorporates the NBC chimes signature -- considering that the logo now no longer includes the NBC peacock, which the station had incorporated into the 2008 logo last August during the Summer Olympics.

One other thing I noticed about the package: the L3s were clearly designed to allow a ticker to be placed next to the time/temperature bug. However, a ticker was absent on the weekday editions of KFOR's morning newscast on Monday and Tuesday.

Also, it seems ironic that KFOR chose theme music that heavily incorporates the NBC chimes signature -- considering that the logo now no longer includes the NBC peacock, which the station had incorporated into the 2008 logo last August during the Summer Olympics.

Are you watching the actual KFOR feed or their livestream in the morning? I know sometimes stations don't show their tickers in the morning on their livestreams, like Tribune, and Meredith stations.

Are you watching the actual KFOR feed or their livestream in the morning? I know sometimes stations don't show their tickers in the morning on their livestreams, like Tribune, and Meredith stations.

The actual feed. I'm from the station's COL.

[QUOTE="T.L. Hughes, post: 187438, member: 1964"]As someone from OKC, my critique on the new studio and look is this. The set actually more closely resembles that of WXIN, rather than WTTV, which makes the fact that the station implemented the tweaking of the Tribune Fox graphics weirdly apropos (FTR, the set has a special sit-down area that is being used for [I]Rise and Shine[/I], which is now branded as a KFOR-produced newscast). The newsroom is very sleek and professional in its design, and clearly gives the news staff a lot more space. As far as "The Rock" goes, KFOR didn't exactly use the right cuts for the theme. The primary open is used for the intros of all newscasts, as had become the case with the Wow & Flutter custom package in its final decade of use. KFDX (which I watched while on vacation in Lawton a few weeks ago) actually makes better use of the cuts from "The Rock" that they use in their newscast intros, KFOR probably should have used the hard open for the 6:00 and 10:00 shows, the primary theme for the 5:00, the cut KFDX uses in its morning open for the morning newscast, and what News Music Now identifies as the political franchise open for the noon, 4:00 and 4:30 newscasts. It does seem weird that they carried over the weather graphic templates from the old package, considering that the TCW graphics they had customized for KFOR have specific graphic templates for the weather segments. The old templates clash with the rest of the look. While most of the anchors and reporters took to calling the station by its new branding, there have been a few times in which some of the anchors have accidentally referred to the station's branding as [I]Oklahoma's News[B]Channel[/B] 4[/I], as had occurred when KOCO switched from [I]Eyewitness News 5[/I] to [I]KOCO 5 News[/I] in 2013. Kent Ogle corrected himself during this morning's newscast, when he made that error; Tara Blume, though, referred to the old branding all but one time during the Sunday morning newscast.[/QUOTE] I agree T.L, anytime you change news branding, usually it takes time to get used to the new branding. However IMO "News 4" or even "News 4 Oklahoma" would've sounded better than "Oklahoma's News 4" and as far as Rise & Shine, I expect that branding to be retired eventually and you might see Ali & Kent anchor the 7am hour of the show, Lacey might anchor the 8am hour and Lucas Ross can expand his role (which includes Mail Call) into the KFOR-portion of the morning show, or somewhere along those lines. [quote name='rkolsen']Trouble quoting. But what did @JCB4TV mean by virtual set. Was it completely virtual or a simple chroma backdrop?[/QUOTE] It was completely virtual

[quote name='rkolsen']Trouble quoting. But what did @JCB4TV mean by virtual set. Was it completely virtual or a simple chroma backdrop?[/QUOTE] I believe that it was a chroma backdrop. They appear to be using monitors in the new building and only using chroma for weather.

The peacock will probably be back in time for the Olympics in February.

Just watched a bit of the Severe Weather Coverage and Mike Morgan stood in front of the video wall, instead of the chromakey, so that tells me that Morgan will be using the video wall a lot and he may use the chromakey too and it'll help between bouncing back and forth between the video wall and the chromakey.

I expect by next spring new technologies (maybe a new live radar) and new weather graphics.

BTW they're still running the old crawl at the bottom of the screen, but I expect that to be updated.

I believe that it was a chroma backdrop. They appear to be using monitors in the new building and only using chroma for weather.

From what one of the designers posted online it appears like you said that it was just a standard chroma key. Likely the key area was large enough so the talent could look like it's standing in the set with a locked off camera.

Hello, T.L. I love the new look of Oklahoma's News 4, even the new, now-current logo. I do wish that logo would include the NBC rainbow peacock next year. Here's what it would look like in time for the Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang, South Korea. 1756326087_KFOR2017withNBCRainbowPeacock(GradientVersion).thumb.png.707f6828ba5a8468f0c6d29af556cdf5.png

Hello, T.L. I love the new look of Oklahoma's News 4, even the new, now-current logo. I do wish that logo would include the NBC rainbow peacock next year. Here's what it would look like in time for the Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang, South Korea. [ATTACH]4383[/ATTACH]

Yeah, if they did, the peacock would have the same placement that it was given when they added it to the former logo last year. If they did put it back into the logo full-time, I'd think they might put it over the bottom of the tri-lined "4", rather than the placement they had it on their old mic flags during most of the 2000s (as shown in the attachment).

BTW, the station's installment of "The Rock" as its news theme marks the first time in 33 years that KFOR hasn't used a news theme it commissioned. The last time it used a syndicated news package was in 1984, the year it replaced Michael Randall's "Newscenter Theme" with Dennis Kyzer's "4's the One". It's also, not counting the random cuts of "U-phonix" and "Overture" that KTUZ has used for its weather update segments the past couple of years, the first time that an Oklahoma City station has used one of Stephen Arnold's packages since KOKH replaced the "Sinclair News Package" with Gari Media's "Daily News" in 2006.

Hello, T.L. I love the new look of Oklahoma's News 4, even the new, now-current logo. I do wish that logo would include the NBC rainbow peacock next year. Here's what it would look like in time for the Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang, South Korea. [ATTACH]4383[/ATTACH]

Hey DonDon, just out of curiosity, could you do the new logo with the peacock in it and the word "Oklahoma's" taken off the logo? If you can do it, great. If not, that's fine with me too

I noticed this Tuesday evening and this morning (both times when thunderstorms caused flash flooding rainfall in OKC), that KFOR is still using their old ticker for breaking news alerts on its broadcast feed. Besides the fact that it doesn't match the rest of the graphics package, it also covers up the time/temp/hashtag bar on their logo bug, whenever they're airing weather coverage, a newscast or a news update. Prior to the move and rebrand, they used to compress the vertical length of the programming feed when they aired syndicated or NBC programming; they haven't done that despite the concealing effect it has on the bug.

I still wonder why some graphical elements weren't updated, when they rebranded the rest of the station's image; it gives a weird mish-mash effect. Though this isn't unusual for KFOR; the station had carried weather graphics templates repeatedly since the '90s over into a new graphics package (for example, the templates introduced with the 1994 graphics package were carried over, with a few tweaks, to those introduced in 2001 and 2006). That reason alone is why I'm not so sure that the weather graphics that the station developed in-house will be replaced by the standard templates included in other variants of their new news graphics while they're still being used.

I noticed this Tuesday evening and this morning (both times when thunderstorms caused flash flooding rainfall in OKC), that KFOR is still using their old ticker for breaking news alerts on its broadcast feed. Besides the fact that it doesn't match the rest of the graphics package, it also covers up the time/temp/hashtag bar on their logo bug, whenever they're airing weather coverage, a newscast or a news update. Prior to the move and rebrand, they used to compress the vertical length of the programming feed when they aired syndicated or NBC programming; they haven't done that despite the concealing effect it has on the bug.

I still wonder why some graphical elements weren't updated, when they rebranded the rest of the station's image; it gives a weird mish-mash effect. Though this isn't unusual for KFOR; the station had carried weather graphics templates repeatedly since the '90s over into a new graphics package (for example, the templates introduced with the 1994 graphics package were carried over, with a few tweaks, to those introduced in 2001 and 2006). That reason alone is why I'm not so sure that the weather graphics that the station developed in-house will be replaced by the standard templates included in other variants of their new news graphics while they're still being used.

I think the reasoning is because they still don't have the right elements for the new ticker but I expect the new ticker to be incorporated into the where the time/temp bug is positioned (similar to that of KWTV) as for weather graphics, I think that'll depend on the timing of when they get the new weather graphics in, KFOR may wait until their brand new graphics get replaced with standardize graphics before they replace their current weather graphics, however KFOR might wait until sometime this fall before replacing their current weather graphics.

BTW I find it interesting that both Jolenn Chaney and Lance West (the 4, 5 and 6:30 anchors) use the Microsoft Surface Tablet, same with Ali Meyer and Kent Ogle (current weekday morning anchors) yet Linda Cavanaugh and Kevin Ogle uses an iPad, I find that a mismatch, either KFOR needs to use the Windows Surface Tablet for all newscasts or use both the Surface tablet and the iPad (like what some of their sister stations already do)

This is why when a station chooses to update graphics, they should trash their previous version altogether... HATE HATE HATE when they have 2 different packages going during transition... Either use the old one or the new one.. Make up your damn minds...

oh boy... the peanut gallery on here is really worked up today...

i have been through the new graphics process three times and a move to new weather computers three times as well... it's not as easy as y'all image... lots of templates to change... and the meteorologists are often the ones to change that stuff... NOT the graphics department or vendor...

the ticker issue? could be that master hasn't moved to the new building... just because news is being done in there doesn't mean the rest of the equipment is in... they might be waiting to switch to new hardware, or the old stuff to be physically moved...

oh boy... the peanut gallery on here is really worked up today...

i have been through the new graphics process three times and a move to new weather computers three times as well... it's not as easy as y'all image... lots of templates to change... and the meteorologists are often the ones to change that stuff... NOT the graphics department or vendor...

the ticker issue? could be that master hasn't moved to the new building... just because news is being done in there doesn't mean the rest of the equipment is in... they might be waiting to switch to new hardware, or the old stuff to be physically moved...

Agreed! What many don't know is the weather graphics hardware/software is not like PowerPoint. I see KFOR uses WSI MAX and with MAX or 3D:LIVE Fusion you build templates for every graphic which is very time consuming and difficult...especially when you factor in them moving all that equipment over and obviously having quite a bit of down time while it's being reinstalled. IIRC you can't just create new templates ahead of time either. For instance the background graphics that where being used where called "background.mov" so once the time comes you have to go to the file and overwrite that file. Same with banners etc... now this may have changed since I worked with this stuff but that is my thought on that.

I felt KFOR executed very well...they changed there 4Warn logo and background after the switch. I'm excited to see what's to come!

Hey DonDon, just out of curiosity, could you do the new logo with the peacock in it and the word "Oklahoma's" taken off the logo? If you can do it, great. If not, that's fine with me too

Hello, oklahomanewsman. I thought I have decided to do my own take on KFOR's current logo. With all respect to my friends at Oklahoma's News 4 and my apologies to all for going off the topic a bit, here is what it would have looked like, had KFOR changed its branding differently. Again, sorry for the off-topic. I will be happy to save it for my own thread.

1353040387_KFOR2017(WhatThatLogoShouldHaveLookedLike).png.086c1ca33e4a5c6dc571d7204301c7f8.png

Hello, oklahomanewsman. I thought I have decided to do my own take on KFOR's current logo. With all respect to my friends at Oklahoma's News 4 and my apologies to all for going off the topic a bit, here is what it would have looked like, had KFOR changed its branding differently. Again, sorry for the off-topic. I will be happy to save it for my own thread.

[ATTACH]4387[/ATTACH]

reminds me of WDIV a little bit. i think its the 4.

Another sign that they're in transition, on more then one occasion this evening, Linda Cavanaugh said "NewsChannel 4."

...and two weeks into the new branding, Linda's still calling it NewsChannel 4. As I mentioned before, this same thing happened at KOCO when it dropped the Eyewitness News 5 moniker for KOCO 5 News in 2013. When she was a reporter at that station, Kim Passoth repeatedly signed off her reports, "Kim Passoth, KOCO Eyewitness News 5" for about a month after the name change; she eventually began referring to the correct news branding by June 2013, appearing to make a short pause while saying the title during the sign-off, presumably to ensure she didn't say the wrong one ("In/from/at [insert location], Kim Passoth, KOCO... 5 News").

Kim only worked at KOCO for a little over two years; by comparison, Linda Cavanaugh has been an anchor/reporter at KFOR for 39, and the station branded itself as NewsChannel 4 for about 25 of them. I wouldn't be surprised if the same situation happened when the station adopted the News 4 Oklahoma (in 1984), News Team 4 (in 1990) and NewsChannel 4 (in 1992) brands. She'll probably start easing into using the new branding in about the same period of time that Passoth did after KOCO's transition.

Poor Linda has been there a long time and has been through so many changes she probably gets them confused anymore. While I was always a KWTV fan when I lived there, I did have a respect for her on KTVY because she did NEWS, not fluff and was relatable. As the pro she is, this transition will pass and she will help make this new studio a good thing for KFOR. It's a strange scene for the main anchor area but she will make it work plus there are more extra parts to use that they haven't had before. Good luck channel 4.

• 3 months later...

Archived