New KFOR/KAUT Studio

JCB4TV

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 the record (cheeseball pun, I know), when will KFOR/KAUT formally begin operating next door from the old building? They weren't specific beyond mentioning it would happen in a few days. My guess is if it's supposed to happen next week, it would be as early as Monday or as late as Saturday.

They are so lucky they started this before the Sinclair mess.

I'm sure Sinclair is just drooling to see their potential new home for hubbed newscasts. KDAF, we're looking in your direction.

Just watched the debut of the newscast couple of key changes took place that came with the new building and I'll hit on those:

1. The "NewsChannel 4" branding has been retired and replaced by the new brand known as "Oklahoma's News 4"

2. The Wow & Flutter Custom Package used since 1997, that's also retired and replaced by "The Tower" that's also used by their sister station, WHO-TV

3. The set looks NOTHING like WPIX's set like what Ali Meyer originally told me a few months back, it looks almost like WTTV and KWGN except there's no duratons in the background, the newsroom is the background.

When Monday comes, 3 key questions:

1. Will the 4pm newscast originate from the same set as the other newscasts or will the virtual set carry over to the new building?

2. Will "Rise & Shine" make the move to the new building or will that follow "NewsChannel 4" and "Freedom 43 News" and be retired?

3. Will KAUT have a seperate studio for they 7-9am and 9pm newscasts or will they use the same set seen on KFOR's newscasts?

We will all find out on Monday

They started from the new building tonight beginning with the 10pm news. Not a bad set!

Also, they are using the Tribune FOX-style graphics. More importantly, the custom theme is gone after 20 years and has been replaced with The Rock, interestingly enough.

The newscasts appear to now go by "Oklahoma's News 4" after 24 years as "Oklahoma's NewsChannel 4." Also, the news set looks more like a newsplex set like they used in the 1990s and early 2000s.

That package was getting really long in the tooth. Good in its time, but KFOR in general was looking *really* tired with the same look going on nearly a decade. Hopefully this helps them.

They're using Oklahoma's News 4 now.

1033234073_ScreenShot2017-08-19at21_28_52.thumb.png.1e3c209f41fe50412a99430b5cfd322b.png

KFOR was a station I identified a long time ago as needing help. I understand why they kept the red-white-blue scheme, but even this is better than the glossy blue version of the 4.

This is also the first time they've used the News 4 name since either the early 90s (I seem to remember they ditched "News Team 4" at some point) or since becoming KFOR (remember

?)!

That package was getting really long in the tooth. Good in its time, but KFOR in general was looking *really* tired with the same look going on nearly a decade. Hopefully this helps them.

They're using Oklahoma's News 4 now.

[ATTACH=full]4334[/ATTACH]

KFOR was a station I identified a long time ago as needing help. I understand why they kept the red-white-blue scheme, but even this is better than the glossy blue version of the 4.

This is also the first time they've used the News 4 name since either the early 90s (I seem to remember they ditched "News Team 4" at some point) or since becoming KFOR (remember

?)!

My theory for them keeping consistent from 2008 until now is that the old building was becoming substandard and antiquated and a new facility was what was needed to remain competitive with KOCO & KWTV, at least until Sinclair moves in and trashes the place.

My theory for them keeping consistent from 2008 until now is that the old building was becoming substandard and antiquated and a new facility was what was needed to remain competitive with KOCO & KWTV, at least until Sinclair moves in and trashes the place.

It certainly increases the value of KFOR/KAUT. How old is the Sinclair facility?

4 the record (cheeseball pun, I know), when will KFOR/KAUT formally begin operating next door from the old building? They weren't specific beyond mentioning it would happen in a few days. My guess is if it's supposed to happen next week, it would be as early as Monday or as late as Saturday.

They started with their 10:00 News on August 19.

3. The set looks NOTHING like WPIX's set like what Ali Meyer originally told me a few months back, it looks almost like WTTV and KWGN except there's no duratons in the background, the newsroom is the background.

I hope this taught a very valuable lesson: Don't trust talent when it comes to design makeovers. Talent is rarely involved with stuff like this. They overhear things and it gets filtered through different people and suddenly "Yeah, the new newsroom vaguely reminds me of WPXI" (which it kinda does) gets changed to "The new set looks like WPIX".

Looks like a BDI job.

This is a nicely done new look for KFOR. They actually managed to use the Fox package better than the affiliates do (it even puts WGNO and KFSM's versions to shame).

The new studio is impressive even with a working newsroom as a backdrop. Easily the best in the market right now.

The new studio is impressive even with a working newsroom as a backdrop. Easily the best in the market right now.

Agreed! KFOR did a spectacular job with the while makeover. They took the WSVN-style approach by broadcasting with a newsroom in the background.

Agreed! KFOR did a spectacular job with the while makeover. They took the WSVN-style approach by broadcasting with a newsroom in the background.

Great!

An empty newsroom at show time.

WSVN has plenty of interns they can use to fill that newsroom at showtime.

KFOR will have to lure Hobo's from the railroad tracks to be "Newsroom Extras".

So much better than the dated look they had before. A few nits though: 1.) Why is the 4 red sometimes (new look) and blue other times (old look)? 2.) They couldn't spring for a big-screen TV behind the anchors instead of the quad array with a huge bezel? 3.) The printed graphic on the desk also looks cheap. That should be a monitor or monitors. 4.) This one doesn't really have to do with the set per se, but the anchors being all giddy about the new set then abruptly getting serious about a rape seems just a smidge jarring.

Archived