Mark Suppelsa Retiring from WGN

alex979

Thought this was stunning enough to warrant it's own thread, and Feder has a full story up now...

My good colleagues, I believe I’m breaking some news here.

I am retiring at the end of this year.

My wife and I have for years planned carefully for this period off our lives.

Now that our kids are out of college and about to launch their own careers, we decided we are ready to wind down ours.

I look forward to the remaining few months with one of the truly unique TV news organizations in the country.

It’s been a humbling honor to be a part of it for nearly 10 years.

It takes a village to put on a newscast.

It should take a small city to put on all that we do as well as we do.

Thank you for all of your remarkable support.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2017/08/17/wgn-anchor-mark-suppelsa-retire/

You really have to wonder if the Sinclair deal was a main factor in this decision... I have noticed Mark has become pretty outwardly critical of Trump, especially on social media. It would seem that Ben Bradley is the top candidate to replace him, but apparently Tahman and Dan Ponce are also possibilities.

How long until he comes out of retirement to take a job at one of the other stations?

Never say never. There are two places where I think he could possibly land (if he comes out of retirement). WFLD or WMAQ.

With WFLD cleaning up their act and a open anchor spot; getting him would be huge for WFLD on top of them possibly benefitting from the imminent demise of WGN. Without question, they would welcome him back with open arms.

With WMAQ, it would be a return to where at all began. His best partner was Marion and I would like to see a reunion between the two. But is WMAQ willing to make some tough decisions?? Demotion of Rob and Allison (or push them toward retirement), send Dick back to weekends , etc....

Can't see him going to WBBM. No room at WLS.

All signs on Twitter point to him moving (or spending a significant amount of time) to Montana. Maybe someone in Glendive will have him.

Now, my question: who assumes the proverbial title of "dean of Chicago news"? Ron Magers seemed to hint that he saw Mark as his successor in that role, but now it has to go back to Krashesky on ratings and tenure alone, right? (Yes, I realize how trivial this is.)

Now, my question: who assumes the proverbial title of "dean of Chicago news"? Ron Magers seemed to hint that he saw Mark as his successor in that role, but now it has to go back to Krashesky on ratings and tenure alone, right? (Yes, I realize how trivial this is.)

I've said this before, but I would give it to Steve Sanders (even though both he and Alan began their respective Chicago TV News tenures the same yr. (1982). Steve doesn't get enough respect as it is...

I've said this before, but I would give it to Steve Sanders (even though both he and Alan began their respective Chicago TV News tenures the same yr. (1982). Steve doesn't get enough respect as it is...

True. Totally blanked on him. Now I feel bad. All kidding aside, who knows how long he's going to be at the station?

Agreed. Steve is one of the best in Chicagoland Television (see what I did there?) right now without a doubt.

In an interesting interview with the Tribune, Mark said he is moving to rural Montana, ready to unplug. With asked if the acquisition was causing him to retire, he said "Sinclair has nothing to do with it, and if I had two or three years left on a contract, I was going to fulfill it."

I'm watching the Roe Conn Show on CLTV right now, and they announced today that Ben Bradley is officially taking over Mark's role on the radio show, effective immediately. The crew said goodbye to Mark and hoped to have him on as a guest one last time in December.

eNOEP6D.jpg

Kinda odd that he'd be ending that role now, especially since Ben is getting ready for a newscast at that time, though I guess Mark was able to sustain that schedule when he was on at 4.

• 2 months later...

Ben Bradley just mentioned on the Roe Conn show that Suppelsa's last day was December 8th. Apparently this was published already, but I didn't realize it.

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2017/08/18/wgn-channel-9s-top-news-anchor-mark-suppelsa.html

Anna Davlantes was taken off-guard by this news today, as well, as she thought that Mark was staying until a little bit closer to Christmas.

I'm predicting that Mark is going to take some vacation time around Thanksgiving, so he doesn't really have much time left on-air at all. It'll be over before we even know it.

Ben Bradley just mentioned on the Roe Conn show that Suppelsa's last day was December 8th. Apparently this was published already, but I didn't realize it.

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2017/08/18/wgn-channel-9s-top-news-anchor-mark-suppelsa.html

Anna Davlantes was taken off-guard by this news today, as well, as she thought that Mark was staying until a little bit closer to Christmas.

I'm predicting that Mark is going to take some vacation time around Thanksgiving, so he doesn't really have much time left on-air at all. It'll be over before we even know it.

Has it been announced who's replacing him yet? (Even though we all know it'll be Bradley)

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, they're already getting heavy with the emotional farewell in the 5pm hour. Still two and a half hours of newscast to go.

I'm surprised they showed the farewell montage in the 5pm hour, but I guess they want people to see it since it's Friday and they're thinking people might not be watching later on.

Wow, they're already getting heavy with the emotional farewell in the 5pm hour. Still two and a half hours of newscast to go.

I'm surprised they showed the farewell montage in the 5pm hour, but I guess they want people to see it since it's Friday and they're thinking people might not be watching later on.

Beautiful tribute, for sure. That said, I had to check my TV guide to make sure there wasn't a game on at 6.

Archived