CityNews new graphics

Viper550

They must still be working out the bugs (if they switched to Vizrt or something in the midst of this); I just noticed that they misspelled Virginia on that L3. Plus, when the "forecasts in cities that don't start with T and end in O" bar comes up over the L3 during the forecast, they had it say it was snowing in a few places.

This reminds me of their online look.

I need to make a closer check on the glyphs but the typeface looks a lot like Proxima Nova, the exact same font Global is using.

But you see, there's a problem with using Promixa right out of the box. Promixa was designed to be a display typeface - used for scenarios where the pt size is over 50. The kerning on the letters are condensed by default - meaning it would not serve well as a lower third font - practically anything under 20pt. Global's usage was different, they were able to ratify this problem by hiring a design agency to professionally space out the kerning in order to be used in any applicable size.

That doesn't appear to be the case for CityNews...

Oh well. It's going to grow on me. Better than that Helevica/Neue/Arial mess they have prior.

I was talking about the lower third in general, it looks like something WBNS would create.

Oh, my bad - misread your comment.

It's not necessarily "WBNS-inspired", it's just a common trend in today's broadcast design.

Once upon a time, Frank Gari stated that a television news introduction should "devote time to create a theme" for a newscast.

Ladies and gentlemen, here's CityNews' current intro.

Frank Gari's nightmare.

[MEDIA=twitter]897583997487910912[/MEDIA]

It's strange that there's no music and no anchors.

The lack of anchors was a strategic move. They wanted to drop the run-of-the-mill 'anchor' format and began to focus more on live-eye reports and its different journalists.

The latter though? Incompetence. They couldn't care less about their music or their look - they didn't even have the money to invest in making new ones until recently.

Thankfully, through the power that is me, I've managed to compile a few cuts and orchestrate a 'better' TOTH sequence topped with CityNews' music. Included are a close, intro bumper, headline bed, and a story bumper. Teases were also shorten.

Branding does wonders.

Even one of the Sinclair themes would be better than nothing at this rate.

Sinclair?!??!

Why does this forum ever make me do those things... :eek:

Be careful what you wish for.

Would it kill them if they create an updated version of 'gonna fly now' (or bring back last version) or rebrand as 'Citypulse', or is that too much for their bottom line?

Canadian stations doesn't like honouring their past.

Not to be that guy who shouts "this looks like that!" but the lower thirds remind me quite a bit of the most recent redo of Euronews, and the open reminds me of CNN Newsroom circa 2010. I read about the anchorless format, and it is crazy enough of an idea that it just might work. As a producer though, I would be terrified in the case that someone's signal went down and the next person wasn't ready right away. Could lead to some awkward moments on air.

The lack of anchors was a strategic move. They wanted to drop the run-of-the-mill 'anchor' format and began to focus more on live-eye reports and its different journalists.

The latter though? Incompetence. They couldn't care less about their music or their look - they didn't even have the money to invest in making new ones until recently.

Thankfully, through the power that is me, I've managed to compile a few cuts and orchestrate a 'better' TOTH sequence topped with CityNews' music. Included are a close, intro bumper, headline bed, and a story bumper. Teases were also shorten.

Branding does wonders.

Sinclair?!??!

Your version is is brilliant. :)

Is there a clean version of the CItyNews theme posted anywhere? Never been able to find clean copies of any of them anywhere.

Branding does wonders.

Sinclair?!??!

This resynch is great!

Your version is is brilliant. :)

Is there a clean version of the CItyNews theme posted anywhere? Never been able to find clean copies of any of them anywhere.

From what I know so far, there's no official clean copy of the CityNews theme that's floating around online. I do have a few rough copies myself (which I've used in the resynchs), but they were obtained a looong time ago from a website I do not remember.

I'll say this though, the CityNews theme is really old. It was composed by the same guy

way back in 2005.

Would it kill them if they create an updated version of 'gonna fly now' (or bring back last version) or rebrand as 'Citypulse', or is that too much for their bottom line?

I don't think they could go back to the name CityPulse - I think CP24 got the trademark (the split up between those entities was messy to say the least), but in historical footage they can/have aired snippets of CityPulse newscasts over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived