2017-2018 DMA Rankings (For real this time)

TheMassMediaGeek

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like that they included the population of people 12+ in each DMA this year. That allows for numerous additional calculations in Excel. Such as, nationwide, there are 2.45 people 12+ per TV household, but this figure ranges from 3.19 in Laredo to 1.15 in Juneau. The Grand Junction and San Angelo markets are the closest to the national average.

Of the top 20 Markets, Los Angeles and the Bay Area have the biggest TV households (2.95 and 2.65 P12+/HH, respectively), while Tampa-St. Petersburg and Cleveland have the smallest (both 2.27 P12+/HH). If Los Angeles had a TV household size comparable to Pittsburgh's 2.16 P12+/HH, Los Angeles would overtake New York as top DMA when ranked by TV households.

If DMAs were ranked by population 12+ instead of TV households, Monterey-Salinas would make the biggest move up the list, rising 21 places to go to #104. Fargo and Wausau-Rhinelander would drop the most by moving down 9 spots to land at #122 and #143, respectively.

Only a quarter (53) of the DMAs have the exact same position whether ranked by population 12+ or TV households.

So Cincinnati drops 1, Correct

Columbus drops 2 spots to #34, Wow!

Toledo is growing TV wise gone from #87 to #78 in the span of a decade.

Our population in Cbus continues to grow, yet people aren't watching TV. Do you think we'll get to #30 in 2018?

With Seattle now at 12, I now wonder whether this now makes FOX more anxious to possibly acquire KCPQ/KZJO from Tribune with the Sinclair issue continuing.

Fox has wanted to be in Seattle for a while they almost did if Tribune & Fox couldn't come to an agreement a couple of years ago I think Fox bought a low power station that would have been a Fox O&O for Seattle.

Our population in Cbus continues to grow, yet people aren't watching TV. Do you think we'll get to #30 in 2018?

No, because of one word, Streaming. I personally watch more YouTube then normal regular TV these. We're growing and young which means That population that stick with Streaming is growing.

No, because of one word, Streaming. I personally watch more YouTube then normal regular TV these. We're growing and young which means That population that stick with Streaming is growing.

Streaming vs traditional viewing has nothing to do with it. DMA rank is determined solely by household figures in counties assigned to each DMA.

Streaming vs traditional viewing has nothing to do with it. DMA rank is determined solely by household figures in counties assigned to each DMA.

I think they are meaning households with TVs watching traditionally. Maybe some households have cut cords entirely.

Archived