2017-2018 DMA Rankings (For real this time)

TheMassMediaGeek

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TV DMA Rankings have been released. Starts on Page 22 . This also has Radio market rankings as well,

http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/corporate/us/en/docs/nielsen-audio/market_populations_and_rankings_2017.pdf

Gainesville is growing! From #161 to #159... awesome! My former home market is still #16 while my second home market (Orlando) is still #18 and my third home market (Providence-New Bedford) is still #52.

Gainesville is growing! From #161 to #159... awesome! My former home market is still #16 while my second home market (Orlando) is still #18 and my third home market (Providence-New Bedford) is still #52.

What about your fourth, fifth, and sixth home markets? And is Miami no longer in your top 3 home markets since Gainesville is 1, Orlando is 2, and Providence is 3?

Happy that D/FW is still the top 5 market, and Houston now the 6th top market.

Apparently watching too much of that trash TV has affected your ability to read. Houston is DMA 7.

It seems that Raleigh-Durham has dropped a lot. It used to be right behind Charlotte, and for one year they were actually one spot ahead of them.

EDIT: I didn't realize I was looking at radio. Charlotte is now at 23 and Raleigh-Durham is at 25.

Guest Former Member 207

It's pretty obvious that these numbers were curated prior to the hurricanes, but I think Houston might drop a bit in DMA rankings next TV season, maybe back down to 9th or 10th.

Other movers in the Top 50:

Portland OR, 25 -> 22 (+3) (Charlotte, Pittsburgh and Raleigh-Durham each drop a spot)

Nashville, 29 -> 27 (+2) (Indy and San Diego each drop one)

Salt Lake City, 34 -> 30 (+4) (Hartford and Columbus OH drop 2 spots)

Cincinnati, 36 -> 35 (Milwaukee drops to 36)

West Palm Beach, 38 -> 37 (Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville to 38)

Jacksonville, 47 -> 42 (+5) (Hampton Roads drops 5; Grand Rapids and Birmingham up 1; Harrisburg drops 2; ABQ up 2; Piedmont Triad drops 2)

Memphis returns to the Top 50 and displaces New Orleans

Interesting. While the population of the San Francisco / Oakland / San Jose market is much bigger than that of Washington, DC and Houston, the TVHH number is smaller -- perhaps due to the housing crisis in the Bay Area? (more roommates, housemates, etc. that are technically part of the same HH #?)

Perhaps...but with the Bay Area being Silicon Valley, and the Mountainous terrain of the market making it dificult to bring in OTA television, I'd imagine their are people who chose to get their TV only via Online sources, which Nelsen doesn't count as TV Viewership yet.

What about your fourth, fifth, and sixth home markets? And is Miami no longer in your top 3 home markets since Gainesville is 1, Orlando is 2, and Providence is 3?

Apparently watching too much of that trash TV has affected your ability to read. Houston is DMA 7.

Miami is still in my top 5, but is now at No. 2 with Orlando at 3 and Providence at 4. Should've said it that way.

Perhaps...but with the Bay Area being Silicon Valley, and the Mountainous terrain of the market making it dificult to bring in OTA television, I'd imagine their are people who chose to get their TV only via Online sources, which Nelsen doesn't count as TV Viewership yet.

I do think this is a methodology question. It's a really important one for Nielsen's entire future, too.

It seems that Raleigh-Durham has dropped a lot. It used to be right behind Charlotte, and for one year they were actually one spot ahead of them.

EDIT: I didn't realize I was looking at radio. Charlotte moves up one spot to 23 and Raleigh-Durham stays at 25.

Raleigh-Durham was #24 last season

I do think this is a methodology question. It's a really important one for Nielsen's entire future, too.

Unless Nielsen can find a workable metric that incorporates SM with a viewer metric...they they will be doomed and gone in within maybe 5 years on the TV side.

Archived