2017-2018 DMA Rankings (For real this time)

TheMassMediaGeek

This will be the thread for the 2017-2018 Nielsen DMA rankings which will come out in a month or so since it is getting close to the fall tv season. I just wanted to get this thread going before the rankings are released.

What markets do you guys think may change spots this year?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Former Member 207
We are at the bottom of the top 20. maybe if KXTV was watchable it would be higher.

It doesn't work like that...market size is determined by the number of households in any given area. Market ranking doesn't change due to one station under-performing in the ratings

Could someone please move this thread to the Speculatron?

I currently don't have access to the Breakroom (including the Speculatron), but did someone think the unwatchability of the KXTV of today (who is a social media disaster fest, like the WTSP of today) has made some people destroy their TVs?

• 4 weeks later...
I know West Michigan is DMA 44 surprise West Michigan has been Top 50 for decades feels more like a top 60 or 70 DMA for West Michigan. Don't know if West Michigan will lose a few spots or stays the same at 44 DMA.

The "problem" with DMA 44 is that there's no one "center" - spread out covering Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, Grand Rapids, Muskegon & the Lake Shore. For the longest while (like other "split" city markets), if you were in Kalamazoo, you watched WKZO; Battle Creek, WUHQ (sort of...), Grand Rapids (WOTV & WZZM). Being a "traditional" area, you watched what your parents watched.

My grandparents used to live in North Muskegon, and cable there in the 70s carried WZZM (2), WKZO (3), WSNS (4), WKBD (5), WUHQ (6), WPBN (7), WOTV (8), WWTV (9), WGN (10), WGVC (11) and one other non-network station from Chicago (66?) on 12; 13 was community bulletin board, since the WZZM signal was Muskegon side of Grand Rapids and you had cable leakage. Up the road in Whitehall, cable lost the Chicago stations and WUHQ, but added the big WTMJ, WITI, WMVT, WISN and WVTV from Milwaukee. Ludington (further up the coast) added Green Bay stations. Grand Haven and south added WTTW into the mix.

I always loved the Muskegon Chronicle's TV listings (mid 70s):

2, 3, 9, 12 - CBS

4, 5, 7, 8 - NBC

6, 11, 13, 41 - ABC

9, 44, 50, 66(?) - IND

10, 11, 35 - PBS

After a while networks changed affiliations (Green Bay & Milwaukee), WZZM claimed "ABC Exclusivity" in the northern half of the market, the Chicago stations went Subscription, then Spanish, cable channels came into being, and all you were left with locally was WWMT, WOOD, WZZM, WXMI, WGVU and WGN (the over the air version, not the cable version).

The "problem" with DMA 44 is that there's no one "center" - spread out covering Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, Grand Rapids, Muskegon & the Lake Shore. For the longest while (like other "split" city markets), if you were in Kalamazoo, you watched WKZO; Battle Creek, WUHQ (sort of...), Grand Rapids (WOTV & WZZM). Being a "traditional" area, you watched what your parents watched.

My grandparents used to live in North Muskegon, and cable there in the 70s carried WZZM (2), WKZO (3), WSNS (4), WKBD (5), WUHQ (6), WPBN (7), WOTV (8), WWTV (9), WGN (10), WGVC (11) and one other non-network station from Chicago (66?) on 12; 13 was community bulletin board, since the WZZM signal was Muskegon side of Grand Rapids and you had cable leakage. Up the road in Whitehall, cable lost the Chicago stations and WUHQ, but added the big WTMJ, WITI, WMVT, WISN and WVTV from Milwaukee. Ludington (further up the coast) added Green Bay stations. Grand Haven and south added WTTW into the mix.

2, 3, 9, 12 - CBS

4, 5, 7, 8 - NBC

6, 11, 13, 41 - ABC

9, 44, 50, 66(?) - IND

10, 11, 35 - PBS

After a while networks changed affiliations (Green Bay & Milwaukee), WZZM claimed "ABC Exclusivity" in the northern half of the market, the Chicago stations went Subscription, then Spanish, cable channels came into being, and all you were left with locally was WWMT, WOOD, WZZM, WXMI, WGVU and WGN (the over the air version, not the cable version).

West Michigan always had some sort of a split market.

2, 3, 9, 12 - CBS

4, 5, 7, 8 - NBC

6, 11, 13, 41 - ABC

9, 44, 50, 66(?) - IND

10, 11, 35 - PBS

When I had Adelphia Cable in the late 80's early 90's they had WNDU NBC Channel 9 out of South Bend, WSBT CBS channel 10 South Bend, WSYM Fox47 channel 6 WXMI Fox17 was Channel 7, WWOR Channel 11 did change in fall of 94 to channel 27 before that was gone on New Years Eve. Only local channel Adelphia Cable didn't have was WZZM Comcast changed it in 2006 and added WZZM read that online. Cablevision now Charter Spectrum had WKBD was taken off sometime in the early 90's guessing fall of 93 not sure on that, Chi PBS station Charter took that off 10 years ago.

I'm starting to wonder if they are ever going to release revised DMAs. They are two weeks behind schedule (based on recent years).

Irma affected their data processing, so it's conceivable that there might have been a delay in their release.

Archived