The Essentials: The Best Opens and Promos

Jess

1985: WCBS debuts the Palmer News Package with a cool graphics package that lasts 4 years. "Anything you need to know, cause anything can happen in New York."

1986: Meanwhile, sister station KCBS in L.A. goes full-blown CGI with a flyover on the Pacific Ocean, and then the city itself.

1987: Of course, WUSA's flyover of Washington, D.C. could rival that.

1988: The year WSVN went into the early stages of its tabloid era... Also the first to use Scott Chapin - the voice of tabloid television.

1989: To end off the decade, WTSP debuts a new look with a fitting way to use its "10" logo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I consider this one of the all-time greats, but it's CRIMINALLY overlooked--this gem from WBAL in the late 60s:

This one's also in my top 10 if for no other reason than how it predated WSVN and the slick production values of tabloid local news by about 10-15 years:

I consider this one of the all-time greats, but it's CRIMINALLY overlooked--this gem from WBAL in the late 60s:

This one's also in my top 10 if for no other reason than how it predated WSVN and the slick production values of tabloid local news by about 10-15 years:

Not only predating WSVN, but Citytv Toronto too.

Oh yeah I love that open. So dramatic.

Also Rhea is still alive and kicking. She does pieces for Maryland Public Television.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm surprised the KTRK opens from the mid to late 80s haven't made it on here yet:

Probably the pinnacle of the distinctive Capital Cities/ABC "look" that all of its stations used at one point or another.

Two more examples I'd put here:

Yeah, it's simple, but there's something about it that I like. Probably the combination of the original, vastly superior version of the Tar Sequence music and Ernie Anderson's voiceover. Only used for one or two years, I think, until Ernie Anastos departed. They redid the opens with a blue fill on the circle 7, the Gari cover, and different voiceovers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=Xt2gdwEaF-Y;m=2;s=4

This is... the opposite of that. No Tar Sequence music, Gari or otherwise, but moody synthesizer music, amazing visuals, and one HELL of an Ernie Anderson voiceover.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think I gotta add a few more...

KCBS 1994

The reason this package was so underrated was simply because we didn't have a lot of it. After its tabloid experiments of the early 90s, KCBS went back to the drawing board and came up with a classic that was one of the best opens of the decade.

[MEDIA=vimeo]247064579[/MEDIA]

KTVI 1994

Come on, this is a pretty 90s slice of design! The theme is fantastic, too.

[MEDIA=vimeo]246899789[/MEDIA]

WFMZ 1994-99

Yes, they ripped off WRAL's graphics. But the creative fades, the regional scenes... Viewers in the Lehigh Valley also got (and probably watched) WPVI. But the rhythm of these opens suits the region and the seasonal mood is just right. The updated remix of the Mario Acerra WFMZ theme is also a huge improvement.

There's a summer version:

A winter version:

And apparently a nighttime-only? version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=eSGdZP-Ij1I;t=25

Here's my classic WFAA intros from BOTH the 80s and 90s (with the voiceovers in it because I love to do the voiceovers)

1984:

This is the News 8 Update.

With David Margulies, Midge Hill, Jim Littleton with Weather and Tony Martinez on Sports

1987:

It's 5:00 and this is WFAA-TV, Channel 8.

Working in the Spirit of Texas, this is News 8.

With John Criswell, Phyllis Watson, Troy Dungan with Weather and Dale Hansen on Sports.

It's 10:00 and this is WFAA-TV, Channel 8.

With Tracy Rowlett, John Criswell, Troy Dungan with Weather and Dale Hansen on Sports

If you notice, the graphics are the same, the intro is the same but there are noticible differences, oine is the the 84 intro was using the 1984-87 version of TM's Spirit whel the '87 intros used the 1987-92 version of TM's Spirit

Also the '84 version had the vocals in it (hence "The Spirit of Texas on 8") while the '87 version has John B. Wells say "It's 10:00 and this is WFAA-TV, Channel 8. Working in the Spirit of Texas, this is News 8."

A lot of people though doesn't realize though that for awhile WFAA did in fact had a 4:30 newscast it was known as "News 8 First News" was anchored by the same people who did the 5pm newscast at the time (Phyllis Watson, John Criswell, Troy Dungan with the Weather and Dale Hansen's Sports) I do have that intro on my YouTube channel

Also if y'all have any idea of what year that intro was aired in let me know please and thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to add another SVN one (from a blooper reel, mind, but it's legit.) It absolutely set the tone for early 90s tabloid TV news. and got mimicked in other markets.

Though some will argue it's horrendous, that's kind of the point--I think it's so bad, it's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=O44JEVQ0uk0;t=465

• 2 weeks later...

(Go to 1:58)

I always liked WJBK’s “cameraman silhouette” open, but I personally thought WTEN’s knockoff was better. I like many things about this look for them, including the dramatic, action-y cut of Primetime News as well as Chris Clausen’s voiceover (he isn’t heard here, it’s that WTVO/WFRV VO guy).

However, WTEN wrecked this open in 2007 when they changed the music, replaced Clausen with Scott Chapin and cut the open down a bit, as well as looping the graphics at the end.

There’s also a transitional period scrabbleship told me about on the Classic Video Thread - they still used Primetime News but (maybe?) began using Chapin, as well as newer lower thirds. This happened around late 2005. I wonder if they ditched the talent bump too...

• 4 weeks later...

I nominate Australia.

The first time I saw it, I thought, what a random piece of...whatever. Then the more I watched, I learned to appreciate the artistic choices made - everything was meant to be centered or zoomed in - from the helicopter/satellite truck shots to the hospital and tire fire shots. The remix of their famous theme

, dating back to the 70s...

, works in this case. Bottom line - it's different, but it's good.

• 6 months later...

Bumping this thread, WFTS’ short-lived “28 News” package has always been a favorite of mine and so has “Evolution” as a music package. The graphics are pretty cool themselves — who made them? Anyone know?

Similar opens were used at WVUE and WTEV, and I can also see some resemblances in WBRE’s 2001 open as well (also a favorite):

Here's my classic WFAA intros from BOTH the 80s and 90s (with the voiceovers in it because I love to do the voiceovers)

1984:

This is the News 8 Update.

With David Margulies, Midge Hill, Jim Littleton with Weather and Tony Martinez on Sports

1987:

It's 5:00 and this is WFAA-TV, Channel 8.

With John Criswell, Phyllis Watson, Troy Dungan with Weather and Dale Hansen on Sports.

It's 10:00 and this is WFAA-TV, Channel 8.

With Tracy Rowlett, John Criswell, Troy Dungan with Weather and Dale Hansen on Sports

If you notice, the graphics are the same, the intro is the same but there are noticible differences, oine is the the 84 intro was using the 1984-87 version of TM's Spirit whel the '87 intros used the 1987-92 version of TM's Spirit

Also the '84 version had the vocals in it (hence "The Spirit of Texas on 8") while the '87 version has John B. Wells say "It's 10:00 and this is WFAA-TV, Channel 8. Working in the Spirit of Texas, this is News 8."

A lot of people though doesn't realize though that for awhile WFAA did in fact had a 4:30 newscast it was known as "News 8 First News" was anchored by the same people who did the 5pm newscast at the time (Phyllis Watson, John Criswell, Troy Dungan with the Weather and Dale Hansen's Sports) I do have that intro on my YouTube channel

Also if y'all have any idea of what year that intro was aired in let me know please and thank you.

I didn't know it was you who was the announcer on WFAA News 8 then-- couldn't place the voice until now!

A hall of fame has to have some KD...

KDKA's Liberty Tunnel intro with the logo forming against the city skyline. The late '80s version with the 'The News Image' from Tuesday Productions.

1992 update is well done. Gari's 'Advantage' is perhaps an underrated classic and compliments the visuals here perfectly.

I just think the first round of Hearst standardization intros were well done. An exciting cut of Gari's Image news with shots of news vehicles and digital clocks and vertical wipes galore! The bold, wide san-serif font was a nice touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=NPFJPNXkVXc;list=PLEGC21IqTNelnwc0qSPX__7EDH3iB_ntN

Archived