NFL 2017-18 Season Coverage

rkolsen

Interesting things today with the NFL Network doubleheader

They split Football Night in Detroit into two separate programs

3:30PM ET - 4PM ET: Football Night in Detroit presented by Mercedes Benz

4PM ET - 4:20PM ET: Football Night in Detroit presented by Lyft

Both programs were treated as separate entities with separate copyright notices.

At the local level here in Chicago, the NFL-Network exclusive Bears@Lions game is being specially televised for the local market on WMAQ (presumably the same in Detroit). NBC Sports had US Olympics trials airing at the national level, which didn't end until 3 PM CT. WMAQ took a 2 minute break after that program ended, and then joined Football Night in Detroit, already in progress, at 3:02 PM CT. After the break, they ran what looked to be an NBC network insert for "we now join this program already in progress."

XRCuhoor.jpg

So I take it that the feed of the game is being provided by an alternate feed of the NBC Network, rather than WMAQ having to connect separately to the NFL Network's feed? Is that accurate?

Either way, they joined Football Night at a really awkward spot, right in the middle of a live report. I figure they could have orchestrated the transition much better.

I'm actually surprised that my program guide called the program on WMAQ "NFL Bears/Lions Pregame Show". I thought it meant that WMAQ was producing their own pregame show, but it wound up just being a simulcast of Football Night in Detroit on NFLN.

So, today, the sponsorship was the exact opposite. Lyft sponsored the first half hour, and Mercedes-Benz is sponsoring the final 20 minutes. Also different is that last Saturday, the entire 50 minutes of Football Night in Detroit originated from the NFL Network studios with Rich Eisen and crew. Today, only the first 30 minutes of Football Night in Houston originated from NFLN. The final 20 minutes from 4pm-4:20pm ET (the only part simulcast on NBC) is originating from the NBC Sports studios in Stamford, CT featuring the Football Night in America crew of Dan Patrick, Tony Dungy, and Rodney Harrison. They opened their portion of the show in the Coaches' Corner area of the studio by doing a very quick highlight segment of all of the games with playoff implecations from yesterday's action (in lieu of there being no Football Night in America yesterday). After that, they moved over to the main desk of the studio to focus on tonight's game.

I seem to recall CBS Sports using their main NFL studio for their shared NFL Network coverage during the holiday season in the past few years, right? Cool to see NBC doing it as well.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe this is Patrick's first TNF appearance as well. Interesting that the last 20 minutes of Football Night In Houston came from Stanford instead of the game site.

Seems like the common courtesy they do around Christmas to limit the amount of people traveling. Even in 2006 when Fox NFL Sunday spent the whole season on the road, they did the Christmas and New Year's shows from the LA studio so that the crew could remain close to home.

I was confused at first as to who cancelled the game: the NFL or NBC, as people were claiming both. But all the articles I've seen say it is the NFL's call.

I'm assuming the NFL will have to compensate NBC for this, though I'm not sure how. Some have suggested that the league will give them preferential treatment (choice of game, choice of timeslot), but I would think the network already has that since they have the Sunday Night Football package?

By the way, CNN Money stated that ratings are down 9%. Ouch.

Well, the pattern at NBC Sports as of late has been to launch new graphics on New Year's Day during an NBC Super Bowl year. Have there been any rumblings of new graphics for tomorrow? Will they surprise us with anything, or will they maintain the status quo? I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

EDIT: Nothing new today. Maybe we'll have something new by the Super Bowl? Or maybe NBC isn't quite ready to abandon these graphics yet. They just did a lot of work integrating them with their RSNs, so maybe they want to continue these graphics another year or so.

Maybe we'll have something new by the Super Bowl? Or maybe NBC isn't quite ready to abandon these graphics yet. They just did a lot of work integrating them with their RSNs, so maybe they want to continue these graphics another year or so.

That would be unusual if they did.

Of the three, I can only remember Fox not doing wholesale changes. For their last two Super Bowls, their score ticker either stayed the same (XLVIII), or a modified version was used (LI). For stats and other information, however, they went with graphics exclusively for the Super Bowl.

Could be remembering wrong, but during the last several years, CBS and NBC have changed their graphics when they had the big game.

That would be unusual if they did.

Of the three, I can only remember Fox not doing wholesale changes. For their last two Super Bowls, their score ticker either stayed the same (XLVIII), or a modified version was used (LI). For stats and other information, however, they went with graphics exclusively for the Super Bowl.

Could be remembering wrong, but during the last several years, CBS and NBC have changed their graphics when they had the big game.

Correct. CBS has tended to refresh their graphics on the Super Bowl broadcast itself, while NBC has tended to refresh their graphics on January 1st of the year they host the Super Bowl. However, in 2009, I seem to recall that they didn't refresh until the Super Bowl broadcast itself, but that was a very minor refresh that year; it was just a minor modification of their current graphics at the time.

• 2 weeks later...
There was no new graphics for the first two playoff games, time will tell if there will be new graphics for the Super Bowl or not. Would expect something noticeably different at the very least.

I doubt NBC is launching anything new as far as insert graphics go. If they were, they would have launched them for the Winter Classic. This current look is only 3 years old and have held up quite well. It might have been hard to notice since it was quite subtle but the look did get a slight refresh last winter with the l3s getting an ever so slight transparency.

Including the Playoffs, the New England Patriots went 13-0 in their CBS games in 2017-18, which further breaks down as follows:

9-0 with Jim Nantz, Tony Romo and Tracy Wolfson - CBS A

4-0 with Ian Eagle, Dan Fouts and Evan Washburn - CBS B

Elsewhere - The Patriots went:

2-1 on NBC with Al Michaels, Cris Collinsworth and Michele Tafoya - with the Super Bowl upcoming

0-1 on FOX with Joe Buck, Troy Aikman and Erin Andrews - This was in Week 4 when they lost 30-33 to the Panthers

0-1 on ESPN with Sean McDonough, Jon Gruden and Lisa Salters - This was in Week 14 when they lost 20-27 to the Dolphins

And they’re not putting their #1 team of Buck and Aikman on the broadcast. Interesting.

Of course, this is going to create a conflict with the World Series in October.

The World Series isn't scheduled on Thursdays. They're only in trouble in the event of a rainout, which will probably happen this year just because.

Edit: they night not even carry TNF on the Fox Network those two weeks just to be safe. After all, they only would have 11 games in the network with this package.

Didn't think the NFL would remove Thursday Night games completely, and for the length of tenure, it is in-line with the same contract expirations for Sunday afternoon/Sunday night/Monday night, so might be a slight surprise NFL committed to Thursday Night games for this long, people thought it would of been a shorter timeperiod, etc, however FOX wanted in on this a lot and NFL went with them for the right amount of money for a medium-long time instead of a shorter time and lesser money, which was what NBC/CBS were getting.

Is there any reason why NBC is relegating the Super Bowl to NBC Universo in lieu of Telemundo? I mean Telemundo itself is airing the pregame from 2:30-6PM when the coverage moved to NBC Universo.

That being said NBC's SAP feed will be in Spanish for everything but the halftime portion. There's likely no need for it to carry descriptor audio due to commentary.

Per their guidance:

SAP Audio for Game Action:

Spanish audio will be available in SAP channel from Kick off to

Half-time and again from 2nd half kick to final gun.[/Quote]

Guest Former Member 207

I was streaming WCAU's news this evening, and they're putting all of their postgame coverage on their Cozi channel; 10.1 is going right to This is Us right after the game. I could imagine the same in Boston as well.

I was streaming WCAU's news this evening, and they're putting all of their postgame coverage on their Cozi channel; 10.1 is going right to This is Us right after the game. I could imagine the same in Boston as well.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that came down from corporate. With both markets having an NBC RSN, they probably want people to tune to them for post game coverage more than anything and have the broadcast stations handle the entertainment aspect of the night.

Archived