NFL 2017-18 Season Coverage

rkolsen

The graphics were ok, but the picture quality was terrible. I definitely expected a lot more (production value wise) seeing that KABC was going to be the rights holder to the pre-season games. This leads me to believe that the games are being produced by the team itself--that and the fact that the telecast mic flags are branded with the Chargers bolt.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meawhile, the infamous @ABC7Error account was having too much fun with the Chargers broadcast tonight; we now know Dan Fauts, they showed a test graphic with an impossible number of interceptions, yardage, and down conversions, and best of all, KABC's ticker still referred to the Chargers as from San Diego on their ticker. :oops: Some of that was from whoever the Chargers contracted out with, but not a good night for the folks out at 500 Circle 7.

The graphics were ok, but the picture quality was terrible. I definitely expected a lot more (production value wise) seeing that KABC was going to be the rights holder to the pre-season games. This leads me to believe that the games are being produced by the team itself--that and the fact that the telecast mic flags are branded with the Chargers bolt.

Any word how KFMB looked? Maybe the PQ was a conversion issue?

Meawhile, the infamous @ABC7Error account was having too much fun with the Chargers broadcast tonight; we now know Dan Fauts, they showed a test graphic with an impossible number of interceptions, yardage, and down conversions, and best of all, KABC's ticker still referred to the Chargers as from San Diego on their ticker. :oops: Some of that was from whoever the Chargers contracted out with, but not a good night for the folks out at 500 Circle 7.

You got to wonder how the #1 station in the #2 market has so many mistakes. You rarely see them here in Baltimore.

Any word how KFMB looked? Maybe the PQ was a conversion issue?

You got to wonder how the #1 station in the #2 market has so many mistakes. You rarely see them here in Baltimore.

It was mainly the cameras that looked horrible. They looked washed out and didn't look like they were using HD cams. I'm curious to see how much worse the pq gets when they bounce the remaining pre-season games on to KFMB's CW subchannel.

Considering that they used to have Nantz and Simmons as the announcers on Madden (although I don't think they are anymore), I don't think that it's a coincidence.

No they aren't anymore. Last season they switched to Brandon Gaudin and Charles Davis with former WESH sports anchor Larry Ridley as the studio voice. The cool thing about last year's announcer changes and not using a full time network voice was that Gaudin and Davis would record updated play by play on a weekly basis and would inject realtime tidbits from the team's season and what happened the week before into the game as you play.

There's a reddit thread with all the graphics from every team this preseason. Some screenshots aren't in good quality. (Watching Dallas' version hurts me more than it hurts you!)

[MEDIA=reddit]path=%2Fr%2Fnfl%2Fcomments%2F6tpcbn%2F[/MEDIA]

Dallas. Ooof.

I still think Buffalo is the best one though I liked their 2016 pack a little more. KPIX comes in second. Bears are good but need type size adjustments.

Tampa Bay is the most creative and themed, but it's also a colossal waste of space in general.

That Cowboys one is hideous.

Also, you could escape it by being at the game itself; the preseason graphics are what are used on their jumbotron display, but it's thankfully using last year's still.

[MEDIA=twitter]500833347036147712[/MEDIA]

On second thought, that other one looks terrible on any screen.

• 3 weeks later...
Speaking of tickers, the NFL on Fox ticker is barren on the right side. It had the Fox network logo during preseason. Nothing now.

Yeah, that part of the ticker has always been that way, even during the last version of it. Very seldom did you see anything there.

What about the team produced shows?

Here's Raven's Unscripted, produced by the team

oE4QVTz.jpg

And the Ravens Wrap Up done by WBAL needs to figure out a better way for tweets.

a2G9Zc7.jpg

(That was Pete Gilberts reaction to the tweet.)

It feels like the Ravens consulted with The Weather Channel when they decided upon how much screen real estate to eat up with graphics.

Despite the amount of screen real estate taken up, I still like the overall look of the graphics.

The only thing I'd change was switch the location of the ticker of tweets with the #RavensFlock and tag board logo. If I didn't have overscan disabled some of the twicker would be cut off.

Also, WBAL center cuts the program in SD.

With the changes to FOX's graphics, the Scoring Bug for ALL NFL telecasts are now at the BOTTOM of the screen.

Everybody seems to be in "follow the leader" mode. As for who's the leader? I guess it's NBC since everyone decided to mimic their general style.

NBC will just become a follower, though, if they opt to flatten everything out with the next graphics package, which, if following the pattern, would come January 1st of this upcoming year.

I was surprised to find out that it's an NBC-produced show tonight. I can understand not having TNF be on the network because they want to wait for Big Brother to be over (which is why CBS's first TNF game on the network is in week 4). Apparently pushing Big Brother to a Tuesday/Wednesday schedule was hurting their ratings these past 3 years.

I don't understand why they just didn't keep it exclusive to NFL Network but have CBS production. It's strange to have one, maybe two, weeks of NBC production, and then hand it off to CBS.

I also noticed that, unlike last time, there were very few on-air references to NBC beyond the SNF promotion and the down arrow still being a peacock feather. The TNF logos, bugs, and the scoreboard just had NFL Network logos on them, without co-branding.

Archived