NFL 2017-18 Season Coverage

rkolsen

I was streaming WCAU's news this evening, and they're putting all of their postgame coverage on their Cozi channel; 10.1 is going right to This is Us right after the game. I could imagine the same in Boston as well.

Well of course WCAU and WBTS will do that. The upcoming episode of This Is Us is almost the equivalent of Dallas’ “Who Shot J.R.?” with “How does Jack die?” it’s been a year and half cliffhanger question. My wife who is a die-hard Eagles fan is going to ride a real roller coaster of emotions tomorrow night if the Eagles win because TIU is one of our favorite shows.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

They ended up doing putting in actual footage from the game inside it, yes.

Also, one more tidbit to cap off the season; Good Morning Football is moving to Times Square at the NFL's new attraction there (which is at the new Edition hotel)

Fox will simulcast NFL Network's coverage of the upcoming NFL Draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/14/draft-will-be-televised-by-fox/

First 3 rounds will be simulcast, with NFL Network and Fox talent involved. Saturday is strictly on NFL Network due to NASCAR commitments for Fox. All this per the New York Times.

Is there any reason why NBC is relegating the Super Bowl to NBC Universo in lieu of Telemundo? I mean Telemundo itself is airing the pregame from 2:30-6PM when the coverage moved to NBC Universo.

It's on purpose; Universo actually launched with the Super Bowl in 2015. NBC had tried to get SNF rights on Telemundo for years (they've been packaged with it since 2006) but the affiliates simply didn't want to pay the extra premium, along with league fears of split audiences if they didn't have broadcast ratings consolidated in one place.

I think this is to build more promotion for Thursday Night Football. I don’t think the NFL Draft would do well in ratings.

Plus it's the NFL Network version; they have OK coverage but ESPN's equity is so overwhelming for that event.

It's on purpose; Universo actually launched with the Super Bowl in 2015. NBC had tried to get SNF rights on Telemundo for years (they've been packaged with it since 2006) but the affiliates simply didn't want to pay the extra premium, along with league fears of split audiences if they didn't have broadcast ratings consolidated in one place.

That makes sense as stations pay for sports rights as “contributions”.

I didn’t realize the league didn’t want a seperate package of rights. I seem to remember a few years ago Telemundo aired a handful of SNF games.

What's the current pecking order on which networks get to pick games first? This past season, I noticed that the 4:25 ET Fox and CBS games were the top matchups, followed by SNF, followed by either MNF or TNF depending on the week. Do the 4:25 ET games get priority over SNF now, or was that just bad luck with how the matchups turned out last year?

Part of the biggest issues with MNF and TNF is that they generally get some bad matchups. It's been worse these past few seasons since there haven't been as many top teams in the league. This past season, there were generally only one or two top matchups per week, and every other game was mediocre.

I actually feel like many weeks had better TNF games than MNF. Was MNF reduced to 4th in the pecking order?

• 1 month later...
Dan Patrick won’t be returning to Football Night In America next season.

http://awfulannouncing.com/nbc/dan-patrick-reportedly-leaving-nbcs-football-night-america.html

Upon reading the article, I can see Tirico continuing to report from the stadium with Al and Chris with McHugh anchoring the studio segments with Dungy and Harrison.

Dan Patrick won’t be returning to Football Night In America next season.

http://awfulannouncing.com/nbc/dan-patrick-reportedly-leaving-nbcs-football-night-america.html

I'm not surprised given that Patrick is getting up there where maybe over the next 3 years he might just focus on his syndicated radio show and not even worry about the FNIA duties, I don't think Patrick's departure from FNIA should have an impact on how NBCSN simulcasts The Dan Patrick Show (if anything, NBCSN should continue to simulcast his show moving forward)

Archived