NFL 2017-18 Season Coverage

rkolsen

Looks like the awkward "special edition of Thursday Night Football"/"Thursday Night Special" branding may be gone; just saw a promo for the London game this weekend had an "NFL Network Special" logo based on the TNF logo.

Last time this was done, it was a CBS game, but given that they've now got a version of the TNF graphics that has specifically got its feathers clipped, think it may be NBC this time? Given that we're nearing the transition point (this week is CBS's last TNF game OTA)....

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like the awkward "special edition of Thursday Night Football"/"Thursday Night Special" branding may be gone; just saw a promo for the London game this weekend had an "NFL Network Special" logo based on the TNF logo.

Last time this was done, it was a CBS game, but given that they've now got a version of the TNF graphics that has specifically got its feathers clipped, think it may be NBC this time? Given that we're nearing the transition point (this week is CBS's last TNF game OTA)....

The Sunday morning Vikings-Browns game will be a CBS production. Ditto for next Thursday's Bills-Jets game. CBS will then take a break with their NFLN exclusive games until Week 15 (Chargers-Chiefs) & 16 (Colts-Ravens), both are Saturday games.

NBC only has one NFLN exclusive game left to produce. That is the Saturday afternoon week 15 Bears-Lions game.

The Sunday morning Vikings-Browns game will be a CBS production. Ditto for next Thursday's Bills-Jets game. CBS will then take a break with their NFLN exclusive games until Week 15 (Chargers-Chiefs) & 16 (Colts-Ravens), both are Saturday games.

NBC only has one NFLN exclusive game left to produce. That is the Saturday afternoon week 15 Bears-Lions game.

Thanks for the information. Was there a place to find this information on the internet, or do you have your own source? I've been looking everywhere to find who's producing what games, but I never came up with anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Here’s an incredibly https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/19/sports/football/why-people-in-mississippi-have-to-watch-the-giants.html]fascinating article[/url] on how CBS schedules games for each market and some of the rules the NFL has.

Good read, might need to check the formatting of that post, though. I had to copy/paste the URL because the BBcode is broken.

The thing that surprised me most is how some markets can be dictated by if a big star went to college there. I never thought about that.

Good read, might need to check the formatting of that post, though. I had to copy/paste the URL because the BBcode is broken.

The thing that surprised me most is how some markets can be dictated by if a big star went to college there. I never thought about that.

For some reason it wouldn’t fix for me. I tried three times.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting things today with the NFL Network doubleheader

They split Football Night in Detroit into two separate programs

3:30PM ET - 4PM ET: Football Night in Detroit presented by Mercedes Benz

4PM ET - 4:20PM ET: Football Night in Detroit presented by Lyft

Both programs were treated as separate entities with separate copyright notices.

At the local level here in Chicago, the NFL-Network exclusive Bears@Lions game is being specially televised for the local market on WMAQ (presumably the same in Detroit). NBC Sports had US Olympics trials airing at the national level, which didn't end until 3 PM CT. WMAQ took a 2 minute break after that program ended, and then joined Football Night in Detroit, already in progress, at 3:02 PM CT. After the break, they ran what looked to be an NBC network insert for "we now join this program already in progress."

XRCuhoor.jpg

So I take it that the feed of the game is being provided by an alternate feed of the NBC Network, rather than WMAQ having to connect separately to the NFL Network's feed? Is that accurate?

Either way, they joined Football Night at a really awkward spot, right in the middle of a live report. I figure they could have orchestrated the transition much better.

I'm actually surprised that my program guide called the program on WMAQ "NFL Bears/Lions Pregame Show". I thought it meant that WMAQ was producing their own pregame show, but it wound up just being a simulcast of Football Night in Detroit on NFLN.

Interesting things today with the NFL Network doubleheader

They split Football Night in Detroit into two separate programs

3:30PM ET - 4PM ET: Football Night in Detroit presented by Mercedes Benz

4PM ET - 4:20PM ET: Football Night in Detroit presented by Lyft

Both programs were treated as separate entities with separate copyright notices.

At the local level here in Chicago, the NFL-Network exclusive Bears@Lions game is being specially televised for the local market on WMAQ (presumably the same in Detroit). NBC Sports had US Olympics trials airing at the national level, which didn't end until 3 PM CT. WMAQ took a 2 minute break after that program ended, and then joined Football Night in Detroit, already in progress, at 3:02 PM CT. After the break, they ran what looked to be an NBC network insert for "we now join this program already in progress."

XRCuhoor.jpg

So I take it that the feed of the game is being provided by an alternate feed of the NBC Network, rather than WMAQ having to connect separately to the NFL Network's feed? Is that accurate?

Either way, they joined Football Night at a really awkward spot, right in the middle of a live report. I figure they could have orchestrated the transition much better.

I'm actually surprised that my program guide called the program on WMAQ "NFL Bears/Lions Pregame Show". I thought it meant that WMAQ was producing their own pregame show, but it wound up just being a simulcast of Football Night in Detroit on NFLN.

Yeah, NBC/NFLN did the separate-sponsor version of Football Night In (city name) during the Dolphins-Jets Saturday-nighter last season and the Ravens-Steelers Christmas Day game last season, as well.

The second game tonight, Chargers-Chiefs, is a CBS production.

They don't call it this anymore thankfully, but even then, this week we have:

• Thursday Night Football on Saturday afternoon.
  • Sunday Night Football on Saturday night.
  • Thursday Night Football on Monday afternoon.

• Monday Night Football on Monday night.

[MEDIA=twitter]944744615953002496[/MEDIA]

The second one could've been easily avoided if ESPN didn't file a trademark on "Saturday Night Football".

The second one could've been easily avoided if ESPN didn't file a trademark on "Saturday Night Football".

So apparently the Monday afternoon game is still going to be called Thursday Night Football. Apparently the deciding factor is:

NFLN exclusive = NFL Network Special

Simulcast on NBC = Thursday Night Football

Because the Saturday afternoon game was exclusively on NFLN, doesn’t that make it an NFL Network Special as opposed to TNF on Saturday?

The NFL just announced that all of the games for week 17 will be played in the afternoon and early evening; there is NOT a Sunday night game for NBC next week under the excuse of 'we don't want a meaningless game in primetime if the playoff picture is wrapped up'.

Well, NBC probably didn't want to lose to ABC that night either by default and have to carry a rerun of some movie or Dateline nobody will watch because New Year's Rockin Eve in all its 'never changed format since 1989' glory somehow wins every year. The 'viewers aren't watching because of two minutes they don't see involving the anthem' theory holds no water to me, but this is one of many ways the NFL is shooting itself in the foot and annoying viewers, fans and their own broadcast partners. Now NBC probably has to cobble something together for that night (they're not airing their usual 'Hoda and Kathie Lee recap' and Carson Daly NYE coverage at all since it's a Sunday night) and though I suppose they'll probably get something as a makegood (their divisional game in Sunday night primetime pre-scheduled unlike last year), this isn't a good look for the NFL at all. That the league wouldn't allow them to carry one of the 3:25 games so a viewer could follow three games in their market at the same time also looks kind of stupid.

Wow, the NFL has a right to just take a game away from a broadcast partner that's under contract? Honestly, the only make-good for this would be if next season in week 17, the NFL should have to give NBC the 4:25 and 7:30 slots. If not, NBC should pursue legal action against the NFL.

Wow, the NFL has a right to just take a game away from a broadcast partner that's under contract? Honestly, the only make-good for this would be if next season in week 17, the NFL should have to give NBC the 4:25 and 7:30 slots. If not, NBC should pursue legal action against the NFL.

maybe they get a partial refund or an extra game next year

There simply isn't a game that meets the NFL's(and NBC's) requirements. That is, a game that affects both teams and both teams only. Had Tennessee rallied to beat the Rams, or had Carolina not scored on 4th and goal, there likely would have been a game that would have been flexed. And there's this tidbit:

NBC can pass on airing SNF in Week 17. They would only pass on SNF if there wasn't a game available, though.

Archived