Potential Fox - Ion deal?

ColDayNews

Paid Off and the Smith KKKlan will get their rubber stamp on the merger them. Looks like Fox is giving up.

Sinclair will win and get everything they so desire because the Republicans want to install the fascists dictatorship of their dreams.

I get that you're left of the aisle, but can we put the brakes on this conspiracy theory that Sinclair is a tool of the Republican Party to create a dictatorship? You've done this for months, even going so far to suggest that eventually they'll threaten people with death for disagreeing with them.

I know that as a liberal, you're against the merger (and so are a lot of people on this board and outside of it, too) but maybe it's time to take a deep breath.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I get that you're left of the aisle, but can we put the brakes on this conspiracy theory that Sinclair is a tool of the Republican Party to create a dictatorship? You've done this for months, even going so far to suggest that eventually they'll threaten people with death for disagreeing with them.

I know that as a liberal, you're against the merger (and so are a lot of people on this board and outside of it, too) but maybe it's time to take a deep breath.

Sounds like a textbook case of TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome). It's the number one cause of hysteria, anger, and fear in liberals. Treatment options range from finger painting, competitive Play-Doh molding, therapeutic cuddling, and taking a swim in shark-infested waters. (Eat News will only nibble on ya a 'lil.)

Treatment options range from finger painting, competitive Play-Doh molding, therapeutic cuddling, and taking a swim in shark-infested waters. (Eat News will only nibble on ya a 'lil.)

Yeah...

They are too "gamey" tasting for me. I prefer a nice sea otter filet...or a ground sea lion burger with scallops...and a nice Chianti.

Sounds like a textbook case of TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome). It's the number one cause of hysteria, anger, and fear in liberals. Treatment options range from finger painting, competitive Play-Doh molding, therapeutic cuddling, and taking a swim in shark-infested waters. (Eat News will only nibble on ya a 'lil.)

Like Republicans got ODS (Obama Derangement Syndrome) so bad, they wound up losing their minds and went full Nazi with Trump and everything his Breitbart/InfoWars/Prison Planet/Fox News/Daily Caller/Daily Stormer/Osama bin Epshteyn/Putin brethren stand for.

But let's forget all that and only focus on the righteous indignation of a wide swath of people appalled by what one political party has reduced itself to - because that's apparently perfectly normal - and make fun of those indignant at the lawlessness of those openly raping the system.

Pathetic. But unsurprising. Oh, and BLOCKED.

Like Republicans got ODS (Obama Derangement Syndrome) so bad, they wound up losing their minds and went full Nazi with Trump and everything his Breitbart/InfoWars/Prison Planet/Fox News/Daily Caller/Daily Stormer/Osama bin Epshteyn/Putin brethren stand for.

But let's forget all that and only focus on the righteous indignation of a wide swath of people appalled by what one political party has reduced itself to - because that's apparently perfectly normal - and make fun of those indignant at the lawlessness of those openly raping the system.

It's OK to be indignant - some people are indignant and some people don't care (like me), but some of your theories are just out there. Targeting people for death? Really? Again, your opinions are your opinions, but...

Also, you can't keep blocking people for disagreeing with you :)

It's OK to be indignant - some people are indignant and some people don't care (like me), but some of your theories are just out there. Targeting people for death? Really? Again, your opinions are your opinions, but...

Also, you can't keep blocking people for disagreeing with you :)

Yeah, it seems a bit childish blocking somebody just because they have different opinions than you. Especially when it deals with politics. I know people tend to do this because America is divided now, but freaking out over a typical Trump comment (though I’m not a fan of him) seems a bit unnecessary.

I'm a bit to the right, politically... but I hate Sinclair. I hate them because they're cheap, they don't really invest in their stations as much as they should, and they're trying to create a monopoly on media in America. It's bad for the free market. As conservative as I am, I also believe that people have the right to different views... and that the media is integral to a democracy. With that out of the way, relax. You're taking this a bit more seriously than it is. Carry on!

But here is the other side to your argument.

Quite a few "deja vu's in this clip.

Predicting the fall of the Berlin wall to the year...and President Who?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=2_1JEwKJUy0;t=48

I originally posted this on the Speculatron 9000, but now I'm posting it here to get more exposure, considering the Fox-Ion marriage may still happen even with Ion going must-run on cable:

Many of us have been wondering, if Sinclair does buy Tribune and Fox moves it's affiliation to Ion stations, what will the new Fox/Ion stations do for syndicated programming? It's rather simple really. Until they can establish newscasts for the new Fox-Ion stations (that is, if they want to, seeing the massive costs, and disaster of WJZY's early days), Fox will fill the schedules with whatever syndicated programming is left uncleared in each market, as well giving full runs to several the syndicated series it tested on several of it's O&O's during the past few summers. Here's a list of all Fox's summer test programs that haven't yet been picked up for full runs, as well as there lengths, the year they were tested, and their production companies:

Kris: A talk show hosted by Kris Kardashian. Ugh. 1 hour, 2013, 20th Television. I believe this, along with The Real, was the first show to get a summer run from FTS.

The Daily Help Line: An modern take on the old advice talk shows of the past, like Not For Women Only. 1 hour, 2014, 20th Television.

Ice & Coco: A talk show hosted by Ice-T and his wife Coco Austin, and produced by Orpah alum Candi Carter. 1 hour, 2015, Telepictures & Warner Bros.

The Boris and Nicole Show: Another talk show, similar to Ice & Coco and hosted by Nicole Ari Parker and Boris Kodjoe. 1 hour, 2015, 20th Television and Kirschbaum Productions.

The Preachers: A talk show hosted by four ministers giving their take on the day's events. Think the View but religious and with less turnover. It was even created by The View co-creator Bill Geddie. 1 hour, 2016, Telepictures and Warner Bros.

So-Me: A millennial news show with a focus on trending stories. Sounds similar to Top-30, and I assume is light-years better than what Tegna does. 30 minutes, 2016, Trifecta Entertainment and Popsugar.

Watch What Happens Live. A simulcast of the Bravo show. 1 hour, 2017, NBCUniversal.

Punchline: A comedy panel show similar to @Midnight, but with 2 teams of comedians instead of 3 individual ones. Plus it's designed to run in the daytime. 30 minutes, 2017, 20th Television.

Ana Polo Rules: A arbitration court show hosted by multilingual Polo. 30 minutes, 2017, 20th Television and Cinemat.

The Jason Show: A national expansion of the local KMSP show. 60 minutes, 2016 & 2017. I think this is the only show that has gotten a 2nd summer run

The Q: Another expansion of a local Fox show, this time from WTXF. 30 minutes, 2017

I-Witness: A game show where contestants have to point out certain factors from news stories. Hosted by John Henson and produced by Judge Judy. 30 minutes, 2017, FremantleMedia and Debmar-Mercury. I heard this will be launched nationally next year.

Culinary Genius: An american version of the recently launched UK show from Gordon Ramsey. 30 minutes, 2017, 20th Television and Studio Ramsey. The UK version is a 60 minute weekly show, so if this gets picked up I see this more being on Fox as a mid-season replacement show.

In addition, they could potentially poach Top 30, Page Six TV, TMZ, TMZ Live, Dish Nation, Divorce Court, Wendy Williams, and The Real from rival stations. In the overnight hours they can just simply run Ion Television, which at those hours would most likely be Law & Order reruns.

So that's pretty much what I think the potential Fox-Ion stations could carry. Which FTS summer shows did you see, and which had potential to be full shows? What do you think a typical Fox-Ion station schedule would look like?

Can WJW survive as an independent? That'll depend on how Sinclair (mis)manages the station. Remember, the ex-Fox O&Os under Tribune are paying NO reverse compensation. Let's hope that Sinclair is not stupid in demanding that for any of the Fox stations.

Ion has indeed chosen must-carry, making a deal with Fox unlikely.

Ion Media has selected must-carry for its networks, according to Wells Fargo analyst Marci Ryvicker, who said the decision not to seek retransmission payments kills the chances of Ion making a deal with 21st Century Fox.

Fox and Ion had reportedly been considering putting their stations into a joint venture. The arrangement would have allowed Fox to own a bigger chunk of its affiliate base and collect more retransmission revenue.

A decision had to be made at the beginning of the month, but it had been unclear what Ion had decided. But in a note Friday, Ryvicker said the decision had been posted on the FCC’s public website and Ion had officially chosen “mandatory carriage” or must carry with all cable and satellite distributors.

“While Fox could still choose to do something with Ion, we don't see how this could work financially for the Fox networks or affiliated stations,” Ryvicker said.

The Ion deal was a threat to Sinclair Broadcast Group, which owns a large number of Fox affiliates.

“We continue to believe that Sinclair and Fox will enter into a fair affiliation renewal and transfer- hopefully sooner rather than later,” she said.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/business-and-deals/analyst-ion-s-must-carry-kills-potential-fox-deal/169327

From the B&C, an analyst from Cowen and Company thinks that Ion could still collect retrans by placing the Fox programming on a subchannel. The must-carry election is only for their main signals or point-1s.

In a commentary Wednesday (Oct. 18) from analyst Paul Gallant, Cowen had a different take, suggesting Ion could put a Fox signal on its TV station digital subchannels and seek retrans for that multicast channel.

"Despite Ion's must-carry election, we still believe it could strike a deal to carry Fox's signals and collect retrans for them," Gallant advised. "Ion could do this by carrying Fox as a second digital stream within its 6 MHz broadcast signal and collect retrans for it."

Gallant, managing director of the Washington research group on technology, media and telecom, and himself a former top FCC official, said the key is a 2005 order FCC conclusion that must carry elections only apply to primary signals, so any other digital signal is subject to retrans negotiations.

Archived