Potential Fox - Ion deal?

ColDayNews

I'd think Sinclair would go after someone else very quickly in that case.

With what network?

They couldn't do a group-wide affiliation pact as a singular replacement... plus the other networks may have the same lack of willingness to deal with a broadcast chain that will monopolize their affiliate boards.

If Fox succeeds in yanking their affiliations across the entire Sinclair chain, that enables any other network to do the same. A domino effect.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if Sinclair ends up making a concession to FOX and sells them a good chunk of their FOX affiliated stations.

Although I much prefer that the Sinclair/Tribune ends up blowing up.

Fox might be angling for both outcomes.

With what network?

They couldn't do a group-wide affiliation pact as a singular replacement... plus the other networks may have the same lack of willingness to deal with a broadcast chain that will monopolize their affiliate boards.

If Fox succeeds in yanking their affiliations across the entire Sinclair chain, that enables any other network to do the same. A domino effect.

I think he's talking about another group, not another network.

Apparently they have a public affairs show, but yeah, that's peanuts.

They also 'run' Ion's Wausau station out of that facility (I imagine the Wausau 'studio' is literally a satellite direct to the transmitter and the Milwaukee engineer remotely monitoring to make sure all is A-OK up north), and I think they basically outsource that one show to someone so they don't do anything but make sure it meets broadcast standards. I still remember the days when WPXE's analog signal looked like it was out of Czechoslovakia with some kind of odd 'Euro-ghost' effect that never got fixed.

WITI lost the rights to the Packers scrimmage to WTMJ this year, so I would imagine if they lost Fox, their entire news staff would mass exodus anywhere else. With most of the other Tribune stations there isn't urgency with no team or an AFC team that plays twice a year, but if you're at KCPQ or WITI (the two Tribune stations in NFC markets) you're literally hoping the deal is broken up just so you can keep the thing that keeps your station relevant in the market; local NFL football games (WGHP to a lesser extent as a secondary Panthers market). Those two lose Fox, Sinclair might as well make them Sonlife affiliates for the relevancy they'll have after.

They also 'run' Ion's Wausau station out of that facility (I imagine the Wausau 'studio' is literally a satellite direct to the translator and the Milwaukee engineer remotely monitoring to make sure all is A-OK up north), and I think they basically outsource that one show to someone so they don't do anything but make sure it meets broadcast standards. I still remember the days when WPXE's analog signal looked like it was out of Czechoslovakia with some kind of odd 'Euro-ghost' effect that never got fixed.

WITI lost the rights to the Packers scrimmage to WTMJ this year, so I would imagine if they lost Fox, their entire news staff would mass exodus anywhere else. With most of the other Tribune stations there isn't urgency with no team or an AFC team that plays twice a year, but if you're at KCPQ or WITI (the two Tribune stations in NFC markets) you're literally hoping the deal is broken up just so you can keep the thing that keeps your station relevant in the market; local NFL football games (WGHP to a lesser extent as a secondary Panthers market). Those two lose Fox, Sinclair might as well make them Sonlife affiliates for the relevancy they'll have after.

Even Jimmy Swaggart won't want to touch anything as radioactive as a Sinclair Station.:p

WITI lost the rights to the Packers scrimmage to WTMJ this year

No real loss for WITI. When the Packers switched the format from an intra-squad game format to an over-hyped practice day, it lost any real interest.

Going back to Columbus here because it interesting because after WSFJ was sold off in the spectrum auction (Note: This is a case where TBN will shutdown WSFJ permanently without a replacement of moving to another tower for sharing spectrum) We'll be down to 6 full powers in Columbus. Let's say they move FOX from WTTE where would FOX go? I'm saying it's a bluff but If FOX did pull it's Affiliate deal from WTTE. The choices outside of a digital subchannel are very slim to none to say the least.

Going back to Columbus here because it interesting because after WSFJ was sold off in the spectrum auction (Note: This is a case where TBN will shutdown WSFJ permanently without a replacement of moving to another tower for sharing spectrum) We'll be down to 6 full powers in Columbus. Let's say they move FOX from WTTE where would FOX go? I'm saying it's a bluff but If FOX did pull it's Affiliate deal from WTTE. The choices outside of a digital subchannel are very slim to none to say the least.

My theory is that Fox will purchase some of their stations in larger markets, including WTTE, from Sinclair before yanking the affiliation agreements. The problem is that Sinclair isn't going to part with WTTE easily. Should Fox elect to purchase WTTE, the affiliation will stay there. If not, one of WCMH's subchannels will most likely get the affiliation.

To me Fox has choices if they want to yank Fox from WXMI talk to Nexstar or TEGNA to flip either ABC station to Fox I'm sure one them would do it as it would be better than splitting ABC's being a sole Fox. But I don't see WXMI losing Fox as it will be sold to a third party be weird not seeing Fox on WXMI as they have been with Fox since 87 for 30 years or seeing the Fox17 Brand either. Going with WZPX ION isn't a good idea I think WSYM Fox47 in Lansing wouldn't be happy as WZPX is a duel market Lansing & West Michigan although west of 131 can't get WZPX on OTA as their signal is weak it's on cable. So it doesn't matter to me I don't watch ION only time I ever watch WZPX was when they had The WB on 22 hour delay otherwise didn't watch it. The WB had no choice but take WZPX no one else would have taken The WB otherwise if The WB was still around I believe it would be on .2.

As for news they would have to get a deal with WZZM as they would be the only agreement they could make as the others put news on at 10PM they did have a deal with Wood TV for news in the early 2000's but ended in 2005.

What will happen to the news departments? Ion has offices for their stations that are like any other typical office and only has racks of equipment. For example, in the Phoenix, Sacramento, and Milwaukee areas. So many news departments might have to be shut down or outsourced. Remember that NBC-Pax deal from 2000-2005 that allowed NBC stations' newscasts to air on Pax stations?

What will happen to the news departments? Ion has offices for their stations that are like any other typical office and only has racks of equipment. For example, in the Phoenix, Sacramento, and Milwaukee areas. So many news departments might have to be shut down or outsourced. Remember that NBC-Pax deal from 2000-2005 that allowed NBC stations' newscasts to air on Pax stations?

If ION succeeds, and wants to do news, they would have to beat Sinclair at their own game...

(Think centralization on a MASSIVE scale...especially if the local studio rule goes bye-bye...)

To me Fox has choices if they want to yank Fox from WXMI talk to Nexstar or TEGNA to flip either ABC station to Fox I'm sure one them would do it as it would be better than splitting ABC's being a sole Fox. But I don't see WXMI losing Fox as it will be sold to a third party be weird not seeing Fox on WXMI as they have been with Fox since 87 for 30 years or seeing the Fox17 Brand either. Going with WZPX ION isn't a good idea I think WSYM Fox47 in Lansing wouldn't be happy as WZPX is a duel market Lansing & West Michigan although west of 131 can't get WZPX on OTA as their signal is weak it's on cable. So it doesn't matter to me I don't watch ION only time I ever watch WZPX was when they had The WB on 22 hour delay otherwise didn't watch it. The WB had no choice but take WZPX no one else would have taken The WB otherwise if The WB was still around I believe it would be on .2.

As for news they would have to get a deal with WZZM as they would be the only agreement they could make as the others put news on at 10PM they did have a deal with Wood TV for news in the early 2000's but ended in 2005.

In that case, Nexstar would be easier to talk to since WOOD and WOTV could piggy on each other, with NBC on 8.1 and 41.2 and Fox on 8.2 and 41.1 making them essentially satellites of each other. The only problem is that there would be no ABC over the air in the southern part of the market, since WZZM's transmitter is north of Grand Rapids.

If ION succeeds, and wants to do news, they would have to beat Sinclair at their own game...

(Think centralization on a MASSIVE scale...especially if the local studio rule goes bye-bye...)

For all intents and purposes, they'll likely use the Fox affiliations for a 24-hour turnkey program service that just happens to hold the Fox affiliation.

Ion may beat Sinclair at the forthcoming centralization game, and decidedly so.

• 2 weeks later...

We already have a Fox O&O here in Phoenix. With a long-established and respected news department. We're ok.

Given FOX's intentions of bypassing the affiliate model, a turnkey operator like ION may be how it would go down should Tribune/Sinclair run into any affiliation hiccups for stations up for renewal. FOX already has established stations in their respective markets, so this may come into play where ION has to put a FOX station on the air...

And ATSC 3.0 may be a way for broadcasters to erect a "paywall" for their content....we shall see...FOX seems like a prime candidate to begin shaking down their viewers directly.

And ATSC 3.0 may be a way for broadcasters to erect a "paywall" for their content....we shall see...FOX seems like a prime candidate to begin shaking down their viewers directly.

CBS has already said they would be interested in that also.

Myself...

I'm more than happy to pay for it, if it's something I can't get elsewhere...and something I want and need.

(assume all you wish)

snicker,snicker

In that case, Nexstar would be easier to talk to since WOOD and WOTV could piggy on each other, with NBC on 8.1 and 41.2 and Fox on 8.2 and 41.1 making them essentially satellites of each other. The only problem is that there would be no ABC over the air in the southern part of the market, since WZZM's transmitter is north of Grand Rapids.

Here's my suggestion:

WZZM, needs to move their transmitter somewhere between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo and the folks in Kalamazoo, Battle Creek and the southern portion of the West Michigan market will be able to recieve WZZM without having to rely on WOTV for ABC programming. Problem solved

So it's a revisit of "subscription TV" that could and would go beyond the scrambling of a signal? Don't know how you'd reconcile that with existing cable/internet subscriptions, though.

That doesn't mean I don't think it will happen... NBC under Jeff Zucker toyed with the idea back in 2008 IIRC.

• 4 weeks later...

Ion is expected to elect must-carry instead of retrans, which would kill a deal with Fox.

Analyst Marci Ryvicker expects Ion Media to elect must-carry at its Oct. 1 deadline, rather than try to secure retransmission payments from cable operators, a decline that would effectively kill a potential station deal with 21st Century Fox.

Fox was reportedly considering a joint venture with Ion that could absorb Fox affiliations around the country, which could hurt stations owned by Sinclair Broadcast Group.

“Ion appears to be on track to remain must-carry this Sunday, making a partnership with Fox financially impossible in our view,” Ryvicker said in a research note.

“With this overhang likely to be gone—and very soon—we reiterate our Outperform on Sinclair," she added.

Ryvicker said that without local news, sports or “must-see” primetime programming, Ion lacks negotiating leverage for retrans and has chosen must-carry under the communications law in the past. She added that Ion has already traded picking must carry—and forgoing retrans payments—for nationwide carriage of its networks by distributors.

The main point of Fox doing a deal with Ion would be to enable Fox to collect a bigger share of the retransmission payments its affiliates get. Fox would have to wait three more years before trying to get retrans payments via Ion stations in a joint venture.

Ryvicker noted that if Ion does choose retrans, “we would have to re-evaluate.”

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/currency/analyst-expects-ion-choose-must-carry/169009

Ion is expected to elect must-carry instead of retrans, which would kill a deal with Fox.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/currency/analyst-expects-ion-choose-must-carry/169009

Paid Off and the Smith KKKlan will get their rubber stamp on the merger them. Looks like Fox is giving up.

Sinclair will win and get everything they so desire because the Republicans want to install the fascists dictatorship of their dreams.

But this article tells a different tale. TheStreet.com is speculating that Ion is giving Fox a better offer to form this possible JV. The article also said that even though they've elected for must-carry, that doesn't mean it would kill a possible JV deal.

A joint venture between Fox Broadcasting and ION Media is complicated by ION's status as a "must-carry" station owner, as proscribed by the 1992 Cable Act. ION Media, like all station groups, must declare every three years whether it wants to be funded by pay-TV operators as a must-carry station or through a retransmission agreement.

Yet because ION doesn't affiliate with a broadcast network, it doesn't own programming or a local news operation. Therefore, it relies entirely on advertising while keeping expenses low. As of Oct. 1, ION Media had elected to remain "must carry" for another three years, eliminating the need to negotiate fees with cable and satellite TV operators.

While ION's status as "must carry" makes any JV less financially attractive, sources said it didn't preclude a deal from taking place.

Additionally, the negotiations may be a move by Fox to gain leverage over Sinclair and Tribune Media for a host of other station affiliates whose contracts come up for renewal in the coming months.

For its part, ION Media would gain access to programming and local news, which it doesn't produce on its own, unlike Sinclair or Tribune. By having an ownership stake in Fox's large-market affiliates, ION would benefit from higher growth, affording the company more appeal if it chooses to sell shares through an initial public offering.

Because of this news, Sinclair's stock was down 4% late Monday.

But this article tells a different tale. TheStreet.com is speculating that Ion is giving Fox a better offer to form this possible JV. The article also said that even though they've elected for must-carry, that doesn't mean it would kill a possible JV deal.

Because of this news, Sinclair's stock was down 4% late Monday.

Take it for what you will, it's a small price to pay for the Smith Empire as their ultimate endgame remains the same. They'll laugh a slight drop off in their stock all the way to the bank once their merger with Tribune goes through.

Take it for what you will, it's a small price to pay for the Smith Empire as their ultimate endgame remains the same. They'll laugh a slight drop off in their stock all the way to the bank once their merger with Tribune goes through.

But if they lose affiliations from over 60 stations? That's a tough task to gain back.

But this article tells a different tale.

Sounds like Fox just rattling some cages.

Reacting to a story in The Street that says that Fox is considering merging its station group with that of Ion Media, Wells Fargo securities analyst Marci Ryvicker said “there is no basis” to the report that has depressed Sinclair stock.

“This is a complete overreaction based on no underlying research, data or factual information, in our view,” she wrote Monday.

Ryvicker noted that there is no evidence that Ion has informed MVPDs that it wants to negotiate for retransmission consent fees rather than simply demand must carry. Such a move would signal an intention to covert some of its stations to Fox affiliates.

According to the report in The Street, Ion and Fox would form a joint venture that would own and operate the stations of both groups. Many of the 60 Ion stations would become Fox outlets, leaving many current Fox affiliates out in the cold.

The story framed the Ion-Fox venture as a reaction of Sinclair’s pending merger with Tribune Media. That merger would give Sinclair control of Fox affiliates covering nearly 30% of the country — a level that would allow Sinclair to push back hard on Fox's reverse comp demands and, perhaps, to have a say in Fox programming decisions.

Undermining the Fox-Ion talk was an agreement in August by which Fox renewed its affiliations with Sinclair in five small markets.

At that time, Ryvicker wrote: "If Fox were changing its business model or really contemplating taking its affiliations away from [sinclair], we don't think either party would have signed this deal, regardless as to its size."

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/107801/ryvicker-skeptical-of-ionfox-merger-report

Archived