Potential Fox - Ion deal?

ColDayNews

21st Century Fox is in talks with ION Media Networks (former Paxson Communications) to dump Sinclair as an affiliate partner. As part of the deal, ION would contribute their 68 O&Os, most of which are former Pax affiliates, while Fox would contribute their 28 O&Os (WNYW, KTTV, KTVU, etc.)

Fox is also seeking to switch their Tribune stations, upon the merger with Sinclair. Should the deal go through, it will be run as a joint venture, where Fox will retain control of some stations and ION will also retain control of some of their stations.

FOR MORE INFO: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fox-talks-ion-media-operate-232434186.html?.tsrc=applewf

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm honestly very intrigued by this news.

Whether this deal will:

-be complete and most of Fox's affiliates will officially move to Ion stations, or

-will fall apart like it's brief intention to acquire Tribune and will still deal with Sinclair like the Unicron (the Planet Eater) of local TV that will be soon enough (and in fact still is),

it's a crazy swerve in the continuing soap opera saga of The Battle for Local Domination.

(and this is Unicron, by the way...)

Unicron1-660x377.jpg

(Sorry if that scares you or triggers nightmares from your childhood.)

-be complete and most of Fox's affiliates will officially move to Ion stations

Only in DMAs where Fox is currently on a Sinclair-owned station.

(Sorry if that scares you or triggers nightmares from your childhood.)

Actually, it just causes music (from the original score) for that movie to start playing in my head. :cool:

No. If this happens, KSPX will be the FOX affiliate/quasi-O&O and KTXL will be an affilation-less Sinclair station.

In my market (Columbus, OH), there are only four full powered stations. Sinclair (through Glencairn/Cunningham) owns the Fox affiliate, WTTE. We haven't had a standalone ION station since 2008 - when TBN purchased WSFJ. WSFJ carried Pax/ION programming but wasn't owned by ION. This means that should this deal go through, we will not have a Fox affiliate. I could see Fox purchasing their stations in larger markets owned by Sinclair such as Columbus, Pittsburgh, etc. before yanking the affiliations. Just my $.02

Makes me wonder about things down here in San Diego, had XETV stuck it out for several more months, could they have had the potential to regain their Fox affiliation? I'm thinking that KUSI is looking at this very closely right now, the ball could be in their court if they make the right movies with Fox.

You obviously did NOT read the article.

i did. i meant as in the 2 stations that are effected (in my market) will have to deal with affiliation replacements otherwise like Weeters said make one of them indie. sorry.

In my market (Columbus, OH), there are only four full powered stations. Sinclair (through Glencairn/Cunningham) owns the Fox affiliate, WTTE. We haven't had a standalone ION station since 2008 - when TBN purchased WSFJ. WSFJ carried Pax/ION programming but wasn't owned by ION. This means that should this deal go through, we will not have a Fox affiliate. I could see Fox purchasing their stations in larger markets owned by Sinclair such as Columbus, Pittsburgh, etc. before yanking the affiliations. Just my $.02

From what I can see, there are 7 full-powers in the Columbus market, but two are noncommercial and Sinclair has 3 of the 5 commercial via two shells. The only options for a full-power signal there are the DT2's of WCMH or WBNS. They could try to acquire one of the LP's, but would that provide adequate coverage?

From what I can see, there are 7 full-powers in the Columbus market, but two are noncommercial and Sinclair has 3 of the 5 commercial via two shells. The only options for a full-power signal there are the DT2's of WCMH or WBNS. They could try to acquire one of the LP's, but would that provide adequate coverage?

WCMH's DT2 is MeTV Columbus/ DT3 is ION. WBNS's DT2 is Decades. The one LP station in town was owned by Pax from 1998-2007 and served as a translator for WSFJ. It's an Azteca affiliate which has been off the air for the past year...

I could see Fox purchasing WTTE from Sinclair before Fox is put on a subchannel in such a large market.

I posted this Bloomberg link in the Sinclair-Tribune thread. But it's equally relevant here.

If the information here is to be believed, Fox and Sinclair have had a frosty relationship for decades, and the Tribune deal was the last straw.

It's obvious that Fox wants the merger to implode, or renegotiated where Sinclair makes major concessions and/or divestures.

Makes me wonder about things down here in San Diego, had XETV stuck it out for several more months, could they have had the potential to regain their Fox affiliation? I'm thinking that KUSI is looking at this very closely right now, the ball could be in their court if they make the right movies with Fox.

XHDTV may be a possibility. Entravision has a good relationship with Fox.

XHDTV may be a possibility. Entravision has a good relationship with Fox.

But does Fox want to be on a Mexican station again, having cited that as an issue in its 2008 divorce with XETV? Would Fox want to take on KUSI?

As for Columbus, I wouldn't expect Sinclair to part with WTTE or let Manhan sell WWHO unless this deal pushes them into financial distress...sort of like Sears selling off their assets just to stay afloat for another week....

If FOX is directly tied to ION in markets where it is a subchannel, it would likely end up on WCMH.

Maybe WHIZ could be a move-in if they sell out. Currently, it is the only reason the Zanesville TV market exists and is completely surrounded by the Columbus DMA.

Their radio station moved to Baltimore (in Licking County) back in 2008 to serve the Columbus area. It was a country station then became the new home for CD101 (now CD102.5 when 101.1 was sold to Ohio State. The owners of CD101 entered into an LMA with the WHIZ meda group.)

Would Fox want to take on KUSI?

Well from past history, we know that KUSI has been madly on the hunt for Fox. It really depends on what Fox wants at this point I'd say, if they are starting to deemphasize their association with Sinclair and the Tribune stations, then it could become KUSI's benefit (and a reason for them to change their old set).

Well from past history, we know that KUSI has been madly on the hunt for Fox. It really depends on what Fox wants at this point I'd say, if they are starting to deemphasize their association with Sinclair and the Tribune stations, then it could become KUSI's benefit (and a reason for them to change their old set).

KUSI going Fox would probably be the catalyst for major changes at that station. Fox would probably encourage them to not be dowdy.

As for Columbus, I wouldn't expect Sinclair to part with WTTE or let Manhan sell WWHO unless this deal pushes them into financial distress...sort of like Sears selling off their assets just to stay afloat for another week....

If FOX is directly tied to ION in markets where it is a subchannel, it would likely end up on WCMH.

Maybe WHIZ could be a move-in if they sell out. Currently, it is the only reason the Zanesville TV market exists and is completely surrounded by the Columbus DMA.

Their radio station moved to Baltimore (in Licking County) back in 2008 to serve the Columbus area. It was a country station then became the new home for CD101 (now CD102.5 when 101.1 was sold to Ohio State. The owners of CD101 entered into an LMA with the WHIZ meda group.)

Actually, WHIZ Media Group still holds the WWCD license. CD102.5 has never converted the lease into a purchase.

As for WHIZ-FM, it was relocated to the 92.7 facility in North Zanesville.

Actually, WHIZ Media Group still holds the WWCD license. CD102.5 has never converted the lease into a purchase.

If I recall correctly, OSU bought the 101.1 signal for an FM simulcast of WOSU (NPR), no?

You are correct. I guess WHIZ wanted to tackle the Columbus area better by doing a move-in at the time. They ended up moving their own format from 102.5 to 92.7 which was part of a Christian network before WHIZ purchased it for the Zanesville area.

Columbus has always been short of radio stations, and stations like 102.5 have moved from the edges of town into the Columbus area, even as far as ditching their original city of license for something closer that serves the Columbus area.

As for TV, if WHIZ would have done the same years ago, Columbus wouldn't be under the death grip of Sinclair as it is now. There's only 8 full-powered stations, 3 of which Sinclair controls (via Cunningham and Manhan for WTTE and WWHO). They could have gotten a stand-alone WB station once WWHO swapped to UPN and buried the WB programming later in the evening.

I still find it interesting that WWHO has bounced between ALL 3 of the major Columbus stations (the LMA with WCMH, the WBNS news share and the outsourcing to WSYX/WTTE), and the stints under LIN and Paramount!

You are correct. I guess WHIZ wanted to tackle the Columbus area better by doing a move-in at the time. They ended up moving their own format from 102.5 to 92.7 which was part of a Christian network before WHIZ purchased it for the Zanesville area.

Columbus has always been short of radio stations, and stations like 102.5 have moved from the edges of town into the Columbus area, even as far as ditching their original city of license for something closer that serves the Columbus area.

As for TV, if WHIZ would have done the same years ago, Columbus wouldn't be under the death grip of Sinclair as it is now. There's only 8 full-powered stations, 3 of which Sinclair controls (via Cunningham and Manhan for WTTE and WWHO). They could have gotten a stand-alone WB station once WWHO swapped to UPN and buried the WB programming later in the evening.

I still find it interesting that WWHO has bounced between ALL 3 of the major Columbus stations (the LMA with WCMH, the WBNS news share and the outsourcing to WSYX/WTTE), and the stints under LIN and Paramount!

It was more than just an LMA with WWHO... I seem to recall them being owned outright by NBC for a period in 1997. NBC sold the station to Paramount in exchange for WVIT. I'd like to see WCMH end up as an O&O again, although it probably won't happen. Media General and Nexstar have run them into the ground.

...NBC acquired the stations from Fant and immediately flipped them (WWHO, WLWC and $130 million to Viacom for WVIT). Viacom immediately assigned its right to WLWC to a sidecar because of WSBK.

NBC also paid $6.025 million to Fant to buy WWHO/WLWC. They paid money to not have to run those stations alongside their LMA partners which they came into with the acquisition of Outlet. Sheesh.

In another bout of irony....

It was ION's predecessor, Paxson that was responsible for shutting down the news department of Akron's WAKC (now WVPX). They later stripped them of their duplicate ABC affiliation and made them all-infomercials until the launch of PAX TV.

It probably wouldn't have been as swift, but the prior owners, ValueVision ran them into the ground, despite adding a 5pm newscast and expanding the 6pm show to an hour (while cutting the weekend newscasts).

It was more of the management starting a feud with the Akron Beacon Journal at the time that resulted in the banning of their newspapers at the station and ill will between the two news outlets for the remainder of their existence as a standalone operation.

Paxson must have had a change of heart in 2001 when they partnered with WKYC for Akron-centric newscasts based in a new bureau in Downtown Akron. However, when the network rebranded as "i" in 2005, the newscasts bolted for Time Warner Cable on....get this....CHANNEL 23!

It would be hard to imagine WVPX as anything but an Akron station. They are one of the largest cities in the country without a dedicated local newscast. If Akron and Canton were a little further away from Cleveland, they could break away into their own market. Even as it is, even Youngstown stations are easily viewable in Akron and Canton, but WVPX struggles to get into the northern reaches of the market, including the eastern suburbs of Cleveland. Cleveland has all of the news with little tidbits of Akron-Canton here and there...

Archived