CBC reveals the new The National

Viper550

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Long Post Incoming)

My Two Cents on the new era's first night:

Simplicity, Nuance and Dim-ness

--This new era is emboldened by a bigger push to long-form storytelling, which I like and as 60 Minutes, 20/20, PBS NewsHour and the short-lived Rock Center can attest to. I like this push as since most people get CliffNotes versions of the big stories at the palm of their hands every day, and the biggest stories I'm more interested in get more under the microscope.

--The graphics are more simpler and subtler yet bolder than the last era's package. They're on the left side of the screen--which surprised me at first, but I think they're a refreshing change. (Also, at times, when I look at reporters or interviewees' names, they kinda look like they're one word--which is odd; I think since it's day one, a tweak will be done soon.) (And I'm gonna be amused to hear people bitch about how the graphics are smaller and not at a place where their necks are used to.)

--The pace feels bit slower than before. And I'm cool with that. (I guess since the news summary is gone, things smoothed over now).

--The set is incredible.

As I've said yesterday, it's darker, cooler and more-or-less vibrant than the last set, but it looks/is perfect--especially for a newscast like this. Vertical light stands throughout, a desk and stand-up shots abound, this gives a nice balance of both urgent and timid. I also love the many monitors around to show images in either clear or frosty settings. The big middle one that gives an illusion to see the full image when altogether is awesome. The "museum" follows the idea by CBS This Morning by featuring old memorabilia from the program's past, like Knowlton Nash's glasses and his note of good luck to Peter Mansbridge (a great part of the new set). I really like this one; heck, if time passes, I might love this.

-The four hosts are brilliant.

I've never heard/known of any of them before the August 1st announcement, but I wish I should've.

They're very good reporters, anchors and storytellers. Ian is an impressive interviewer, Adrienne is an astonishing anchor/reporter (as shown in/from her report in ISIS-torn Ruqqa), Rosemary is a remarkable reporter, Andrew is both serious and appealing at the same time. All four worked very well together tonight, and I do look forward to the lineups of two-three of them in the future.

All-in-all, there were some plus and minuses for this first night I'm sure, but this was a great start to this new era of The National, and I'm definitely looking forward to watching more and more.

Great job to everyone in front of and behind the camera.

Some brief thoughts from me:

- About time Ian Hanomansing returned to anchoring a national newscast on broadcast TV.

- Adrienne Arsenault's story on Syria was well done. She's always done excellent field reporting.

- Andrew Chang and Rosie Barton are good at what they do, but I'll reserve judgement for later days. 4 anchors on a typical news day like this is too much, so I'm glad they're not having all 4 all the time.

- Infographics are fine, transitions are OK. I don't like the left side graphics.

- I like the pacing. The deliberately slower pacing is a very nice change from the frantic pace of breaking news during the day.

- I will need to get used to the fact The National will be covering less stories, but in longer form, at 10 o'clock.

- Toronto studio looks great, camera angles are good. Need to see more of the Ottawa and Vancouver studios. Not a fan of the close framing of the presenters.

- The 4-box of anchors is ridiculous looking, especially when Adrienne and Ian are in the same room. Put those two in 1 box.

Signs were also changed, from Studio 55 to Studio 5. Weird.

Weird???

My bet is it's some strange new news accounting trick....

"Just tell them bean counters we eliminated 50 other studios...we just have 5 now..."

(i'm so smart)

Weird???

My bet is it's some strange new news accounting trick....

"Just tell them bean counters we eliminated 50 other studios...we just have 5 now..."

(i'm so smart)

Maybe it’s because CBC’s Toronto affiliate is on channel 5...

Ohhhhh....

So they lied about having 55 studios...and they are lying about having 5 studios...

No wonder nobody trust the media.

Drink Fosters Lager.

As far as format goes, this seems like a really cool rethink of the flagship national evening news. I'd love to see an American network try something like this, though I suppose the CBS Evening News is as close as we'll get. I'm skeptical the four-anchor format will stick, but longer packages and more unusual franchise story ideas is a great goal.

Visually, I think it all looks uninspired. Nice set, but that open is really underwhelming. FF Meta is a font that should have stayed in the 90s, and that "N" thing that they're trying to do doesn't look right. I like the idea of making lower thirds smaller, but the "one corner of the screen" thing seems weird. In terms of design, simple is good, but there still needs to be some consistency and vibrance to tie everything together. I don't see that here. Franceinfo: and the newest rebrand of ABC News Australia would be good references for how this could have been better.

They technically start their numbering pattern in the 40s, for example Rogers Media rents Studio 41 for it's coverage of the NHL/Hockey Night in Canada while Studio 42 next door was the home of HNIC when it was produced by the CBC itself.

The numbering pattern isn't indicative of which the floors the studios are located on either. Studios 43 and 65 (current home of The Goods and the former homes of George Strombolopolous Tonight and Steven and Chris) are on the 6th floor while the aforementioned Studios 41, 42 and neighboring Studio 40 are on the roof of the building.

A Studio 73 used for CBC Kids programming is on the 5th floor while the CBC News studios mentioned - 50 for the News Network and 55 for The National - are on the 4th floor.

I'm not sure if they also count radio studios as part of the first 40 or not - it might get them up there.

Archived