CBC reveals the new The National

Viper550

The 9:00 pm ET and 11:00 pm ET timeslots are in reference to the CBC News Network. The 9:00 pm ET hour is live to accommodate CBC Atlantic Time viewers while the 11:00 pm ET hour is usually live to accommodate CBC Central Time viewers. (Usually i.e. in rapid news situations.)

b757a87e1fd55f2c7f23563f96980437.png

Despite being carried nationally on the CBC News Network, the 10:00 pm timeslot is only said in reference to the CBC network as The National is scheduled in local time for each station.

Are 10 and 11pm repeats or live?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It depends on the network, but a lot of it has to do with simulcasting the American networks. In the central timezone, CTV and Global has primetime from 7-10PM CT due to US networks on cable being from Minneapolis or North Dakota. However, while Global airs their local news at 10 PM, CTV puts syndicated programming on at 10, followed by CTV National News at 11, then CTV Local News at 11:30.

In the Mountain Timezone, the private Canadian networks simulcast programming from Spokane TV stations, which are in the Pacific timezone. So primetime runs 8-11PM, and some programs on US networks that run at 10PM PT/11PM MT are aired earlier on the Canadian stations. For those in the MT, shows like Tonight Show, Late Show, and Saturday Night Live didn't run until 12:30 AM for several years.

The same thing occurs in the Atlantic Time Zone - U.S. affiliates coming from the East Coast (AT is one hour ahead of ET).

It often leads to a show that airs on an American network at 10pm ET "premiering" at 8pm, despite content meant for older audiences. The old ASN, now known as CTV Two Atlantic, would re-air the 8pm hour of programming from the main CTV network at 11pm in order to gain a simulcast on the US affiliates available on cable.

NTV from St. John's was, and still is, a bit of an anamoly. They are the only private station in Newfoundland and their schedule in the 90s and 2000s was made up of selected Global and CTV programs - the latter served as their primary affiliation until 2002. They would regularly promote 'World Premieres' of certain shows to attract potential viewers on digital cable and satellite due to their advantage of being a further 30 minutes ahead of Atlantic Time. They are still a family-owned operation despite the patriarch passing away a few years ago.

I like the new set, but reminds me of Ten's The Project.

The 10:00 pm broadcast is a repeat of the 9:00 pm broadcast.

I thought for all the networks, their respective national newscasts were live in AT and ET, and were tape-delayed in the remaining timezones - apart from live cut-ins in the CT/MT/PT when there's breaking news...

Interesting also how the Star/G&M/Sun forgot to mention that Global National has been run out of Vancouver since its inception.

tv-the-national-20171103-e1509726171347.jpg?quality=60&strip=all&strip=all

wide_angle.jpg.size.custom.crop.850x567.jpg

arsenault_and_logo.jpg.size.custom.crop.850x555.jpg

tv-the-national-201711031-e1509726488916.jpg

Holy shit that set is real. Nice to see a Canadian broadcaster is actually focusing on their studios for once.

Now, let's see if CBC Vancouver could get a facelift. :rolleyes:

I thought for all the networks, their respective national newscasts were live in AT and ET, and were tape-delayed in the remaining timezones - apart from live cut-ins in the CT/MT/PT when there's breaking news...

Oy, my bad. That's what I meant.

Interesting also how the Star/G&M/Sun forgot to mention that Global National has been run out of Vancouver since its inception.

That's the case for CTV. They go live in the Atlantic and the CTV News Channel at 10pm ET. Another edition goes out at 11pm ET on the main CTV network and CTV News Channel, the other time zones use that version.

I wouldn't be surprised if CBC didn't go live at 10pm ET in the Mansbridge era, you'd think if there were any technical errors or mistakes wouldn't they want to correct it for Toronto/Montreal?

tv-the-national-20171103-e1509726171347.jpg?quality=60&strip=all&strip=all

wide_angle.jpg.size.custom.crop.850x567.jpg

arsenault_and_logo.jpg.size.custom.crop.850x555.jpg

tv-the-national-201711031-e1509726488916.jpg

Holy shit that set is real. Nice to see a Canadian broadcaster is actually focusing on their studios for once.

Now, let's see if CBC Vancouver could get a facelift. :rolleyes:

Oy, my bad. That's what I meant.

CBC Calgary moved to a new facility and got a nice looking set, I'm definitely a fan of it based on the pictures. Still looking for video of it but here's the link from Newscast Studio.

http://www.newscaststudio.com/2017/11/03/cbc-calgary-new-set/

It doesn't seem to match the new studio for The National, if anything it seems to match CBC News Network.

For some reason I'm getting a lot of Anderson Cooper vibes from the overall pacing and style.

AC360's pacing is a lot faster than this. It is a tad slow, but it's not too different from the previous incarnation.

Archived