Hearst's KCRA Sacramento on a Temp Set?

RCA TK47

Meh...

I don't understand the floating monitor bank as a primary backdrop. Doesn't work well on the KARE / TEGA sets, and doesn't work well here.

Makes the shot look too short, no illusion of height, and not much of a feel of depth either.

Looks pretty nice. Glad they got this version of the Hearst set in a box vs. the smaller-market version (a la KSBW). Hearst seems to cheap out on KCRA since they're the long-dominant station in an overall crappy market (I guess KOVR is acceptable these days), but this is a nice surprise.

NUIeUAq.png

Looks pretty nice. Glad they got this version of the Hearst set in a box vs. the smaller-market version (a la KSBW). Hearst seems to cheap out on KCRA since they're the long-dominant station in an overall crappy market (I guess KOVR is acceptable these days), but this is a nice surprise.

NUIeUAq.png

Even KTXL can be acceptable if you compare it with KXTV. If you were to take out KXTV, that market actually wouldn't be too bad.

The bug has the call letters in a more modern font than before. If you look at their latest & previous profile images on the facebook page you can see a comparison between the two.

It's a nice change. The late 90s font that Hearst applied on everyone's logo needed to go away like 10 years ago.

The new set makes better use of the studio’s size and height compared their old FX set that looked too small and lost in that big of a space. I also really wish they would’ve done a complete logo change instead of just dumping the bank gothic font in the call letters... maybe change the design of the “3”. It could use a refresh. It seems silly and a waste of money to only change the calls and have to make a ton of changes to graphics, signage, vehicle wraps etc. just for the letters KCRA.

The new set makes better use of the studio’s size and height compared their old FX set that looked too small and lost in that big of a space. I also really wish they would’ve done a complete logo change instead of just dumping the bank gothic font in the call letters... maybe change the design of the “3”. It could use a refresh. It seems silly and a waste of money to only change the calls and have to make a ton of changes to graphics, signage, vehicle wraps etc. just for the letters KCRA.

The new set looks fantastic. BTW i have you know that their 3 has worked for their market since 1975. and since its 2000 revamp it has been still used to this day.

I also really wish they would’ve done a complete logo change instead of just dumping the bank gothic font in the call letters... maybe change the design of the “3”. It could use a refresh. It seems silly and a waste of money to only change the calls and have to make a ton of changes to graphics, signage, vehicle wraps etc. just for the letters KCRA.

I used to be in the camp that thought the logo had to go too, but at this point...it has Circle-7 like brand equity in the market. Doesn't make sense to dramatically change it at this point, but I do think it'd be nice to modernize it—kinda like what WTHR did in 2014. This set refresh would have been a good opportunity to do that, but since Hearst doesn't have a centralized graphics/creative services team, you're dependent upon the strength of the team at the station. Some stations (notably WISN) have historically had strong design teams; I wouldn't rank KCRA up there.

Vehicle wraps and signage will probably stick around for a while until they absolutely need replacing. KGO's satellite truck is still parked out in front of their building in SF with a paint job dating back to the early/mid-1990s.

Watched that KXTV Tegna trainwreck for the second time the other night at 11. “The LNT”... The Lame News Tonight I think it’s called. They need to get out of that “Information Center” and back in the studio ASAP. They don’t have the polished eye candy presentation that KOVR and KCRA now have. KXTV’s butchered newsroom with its old barn wood looks like a place bad tasting pizza and warm beer would be served to lumberjack dressed bearded hipsters, not where a news organization operates. Shots like the one below only add to the silliness of Lame News Tonight. Sacramento viewers are smart and deserve something better out of KXTV. Rant off.B13DAA2F-A209-4AD4-B393-6F962A4D0679.thumb.jpeg.03f636bc42f4707aa2a544db8c3b8c32.jpeg

Watched that KXTV Tegna trainwreck for the second time the other night at 11. “The LNT”... The Lame News Tonight I think it’s called. They need to get out of that “Information Center” and back in the studio ASAP. They don’t have the polished eye candy presentation that KOVR and KCRA now have. KXTV’s butchered newsroom with its old barn wood looks like a place bad tasting pizza and warm beer would be served to lumberjack dressed bearded hipsters, not where a news organization operates. Shots like the one below only add to the silliness of Lame News Tonight. Sacramento viewers are smart and deserve something better out of KXTV. Rant off.[ATTACH=full]4664[/ATTACH]

I agree they should do what KTXL did and just put in a set on one side and then a newsroom one on the other. but KCRA are pretty much the second best looking set next to KOVR's.

What you're really saying is that KCRA's set is one big, unimaginative dura.

I guess the backlit backdrops are there to reinforce the sense of community. However with this version (at WESH and WDSU) I don’t think they’re needed. The backdrops appear to be in such small areas that in my mind it appears worth less. It’s like they’re cramming things in just to be there. They should have just kept it simple - no city scape and used a backlit wall.

Although I may be biased the city backdrop is needed at WBAL as for some reason they didn’t decide to have more monitors.

One other thing that seems off is the white “frames” around the monitor walls. They’re parallelograms which I get are probably there to mimic the Diagrid graphics package. However it would look better if they pointed to the right and not the left - like the graphics package.

Archived