Hearst's KCRA Sacramento on a Temp Set?

RCA TK47

Watching the Sunday 6pm show... Back up anchor Kristen Simoes is sitting in front of a monitor with a camera that looks locked down. The lighting is horrible too. Looks like KCRA might be the next Hearst station on the list for a new set.

EDIT: Looks like they're on a portion of the soon-to-be old set with an even older pre-2007 desk.

They are, and you're right... the lighting is awful.

RPApERr.png

I'm pretty sure KCRA has two studios in their building—back when they got the original standard Hearst set (2000ish?) it debuted overnight without moving to a temporary set. Can't remember what they did when they got the next Hearst set in a box from FX.

Can't remember what they did when they got the next Hearst set in a box from FX.

In 2007 they used a temp set when they got the FX set. They do have two studios... although the other studio hasn't been used much lately over the past few months, if not at all. Actually, I wouldn't doubt if this temp set is in the spare studio.

• 4 weeks later...

When will this set debut? It's been like a month and no anchors have made any mentions of it online or anything and I haven't seen KCRA post anything on their social media pages. Why are they being so hush-hush about this?

When will this set debut? It's been like a month and no anchors have made any mentions of it online or anything and I haven't seen KCRA post anything on their social media pages. Why are they being so hush-hush about this?

It will probably debut in conjunction with some premiere or football game in September. Most sets built this time of year debut in conjunction with something to do with the Fall TV season.

Everyone needs to get over the "one month turn" that old sets had. New sets are way more complicated than mid-2000's FX Group Set-in-a-can sets.

Interesting. They took the interview portion of the now-old FX set and combined it with weather center desk from the original 2000 BDI set. I'm surprised they still kept parts of the old BDI set around for this long—usually those things go into a dumpster pretty quickly following decommissioning.

Or dontated to a local university, high school or community college

IMG_3325.thumb.jpg.e80c5db2cf35484fdb52f2272a92c287.jpg Looks like after nearly twenty years, KCRA is going to dump the Bank Gothic font. Spotted this on their Facebook page... New on the left and soon to be old on the right. Also a slight logo tweak with the peacock shoved in and moved to the bottom of the 3 in the in the Facebook video screenshot. I'm assuming this will all debut with the new set.

IMG_3327.thumb.PNG.86ad84cde15dcd9f59959496a0915291.PNG

KOCO-TV Oklahoma City, another Hearst station, did the same a few years back when they dropped the bank gothic font on "Eyewitness News 5" and went HD with "KOCO 5 News". The font is similar to the new KCRA, with a bolder text on KOCO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Definitely on par with KOVR in terms of quality news sets in that market.

I can agree with that. I can also agree that KXTV is the worst in the market because they have no direction and are clueless. Even KTXL has a better set than KXTV's.

Archived