Is it time to start the Signature death watch?

Samantha

Signature's station portfolio is dwindling slowly, to the point where it's used on fewer than ten separate news operations.

Bonten's KRCR-KAEF-KCVU-etc. and KTXS-KTXE are using it, as are Nexstar's KOLR-KOZL, WCIA-WCIX, WHOI, WHBF, and WBGH-WIVT (the latter as of January).

One additional NMSA listing is for a rebroadcast of WXOW, which has changed themes several times since, and I can't even verify if the station still is rebroadcasting that newscast.

WGXA-DT2 stopped using Signature as a result of the station using the Sinclair News Package for all newscasts. (They still are one of Sinclair's technical bottom feeders.)

Signature's station portfolio is dwindling slowly, to the point where it's used on fewer than ten separate news operations.

Bonten's KRCR-KAEF-KCVU-etc. and KTXS-KTXE are using it, as are Nexstar's KOLR-KOZL, WCIA-WCIX, WHOI, WHBF, and WBGH-WIVT (the latter as of January).

One additional NMSA listing is for a rebroadcast of WXOW, which has changed themes several times since, and I can't even verify if the station still is rebroadcasting that newscast.

WGXA-DT2 stopped using Signature as a result of the station using the Sinclair News Package for all newscasts. (They still are one of Sinclair's technical bottom feeders.)

Seems like This Is Your News (now only used on KBTX) is on more of a death watch.

Shoutout to KRDO and KJCT for saving Counterpoint from imminent news music death a few years back.

I've always found Signature to be kind of a dated package to have hung around for so long. Sounds a lot more dated than Counterpoint, TIYN, News One, etc. IMO

Seems like This Is Your News (now only used on KBTX) is on more of a death watch.

Shoutout to KRDO and KJCT for saving Counterpoint from imminent news music death a few years back.

I've always found Signature to be kind of a dated package to have hung around for so long. Sounds a lot more dated than Counterpoint, TIYN, News One, etc. IMO

Apparently, KLST is still using Counterpoint according to NMSA.

Being in the news music graveyard doesn't necessarily mean a pack is dead forever though.

Think KXLY/KAPP/KVEW's 2016 resurrection of The Rainmaker (functionally dead since 2003) or WLNS's 2015 resurrection of Millennium News (dead since 2009)...

Just saw NMSA and apparently that package was only available in Indianapolis and dead actually since 2013 (thank the SkyTrak Weather Network for that) until KXLY and its Tri-Cities duopoly decided to pick it up and resurrect it from the dead.

Just saw NMSA and apparently that package was only available in Indianapolis and dead actually since 2013 (thank the SkyTrak Weather Network for that) until KXLY and its Tri-Cities duopoly decided to pick it up and resurrect it from the dead.

Called it "functionally" dead since 03 because I don't really count SkyTrak using a few cuts of it(?) as real use. It's like when the NMSA lists those college TV stations.

Well, once Bonten deal closes, it would only be a matter of time before they switch to the Glass and Curves. That's a given.

And WHOI, well WEEK-DT2 (branded as HOI News) is owned by Quincy. But I thought it would make some cosmetic changes for the ABC affil, just like they did with the main NBC channel. Maybe in the future?

WIVT/WBGH just recently switch to Signature, after using a Gari relic for a really long time. And WHBF switched to the theme a couple of years ago. So I don't these three will switch any time soon.

If there's any other music packages that's on a deathwatch, how about Metropolis. Sure they debuted a decade after Signature, but a far few outlets are using the theme (KEYC, KGUN/KWBA, Fios 1).

And basically any Gari theme that's not Eyewitness News, Enforcer or This Is Home (unless Tegna drops it en masse) could be on its own deathwatch. There are a few stations left using Image (WSOC/WAXN, WLNY, KCAL 9), Advantage (WFSB, WGGB/WSHM, WLUC (Are the Brady Northwest Fox still using it?)) and even The One and Only (WPLG, KSAT, KUSI, KATC, WLOV?).

Well, once Bonten deal closes, it would only be a matter of time before they switch to the Glass and Curves. That's a given.

And WHOI, well WEEK-DT2 (branded as HOI News) is owned by Quincy. But I thought it would make some cosmetic changes for the ABC affil, just like they did with the main NBC channel. Maybe in the future?

WIVT/WBGH just recently switch to Signature, after using a Gari relic for a really long time. And WHBF switched to the theme a couple of years ago. So I don't these three will switch any time soon.

If there's any other music packages that's on a deathwatch, how about Metropolis. Sure they debuted a decade after Signature, but a far few outlets are using the theme (KEYC, KGUN/KWBA, Fios 1).

And basically any Gari theme that's not Eyewitness News, Enforcer or This Is Home (unless Tegna drops it en masse) could be on its own deathwatch. There are a few stations left using Image (WSOC/WAXN, WLNY, KCAL 9), Advantage (WFSB, WGGB/WSHM, WLUC (Are the Brady Northwest Fox still using it?)) and even The One and Only (WPLG, KSAT, KUSI, WLOV?).

Eventually, KGUN/KWBA will dump Metropolis for Inergy so might as well scratch that one out.

Don't forget KATC and WLUC 6.2 for The One and Only and yes: KAYU/KCYU/KFFX and KMVU are still using Advantage.

• 1 month later...
I thought WICU uses This Is Home (w/WSEE)

Correct. WICU/WSEE does use This is Home as of 2015 by a check of the NMSA database. That was done when WICU/WSEE finally decided to simulcast each other on some newscasts (mainly 6-7am, 6-6:30pm and 11-11:35pm).

I don't really think some college TV station using a package really counts tbh.

Even at that, MUTV hasn't used it since 2011. (I was in charge of one of the departments when I was in school there.. we didn't even use it.)

Correct. WICU/WSEE does use This is Home as of 2015 by a check of the NMSA database. That was done when WICU/WSEE finally decided to simulcast each other on some newscasts (mainly 6-7am, 6-6:30pm and 11-11:35pm).

Then, R.I.P. Flagship 2004-2015. You will be missed.

Archived